Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
MN to AZ in JAN??

I know it sounds crazy, but I am considering avoiding the 65 - 75 inches of snow expected here in Minnesota this winter, and taking off with the Airstream around Jan 1. Destination: Phoenix, AZ. Of course, if it's blizzarding and horrible here in Minneapolis around that time, I will leave the Airstream in storage until Spring. But, if I were lucky to have good weather and driving conditions....hahaha...right??

So, I'm wondering if I might hear from people who have made this trip with their Airstreams using a southerly route....and what I might expect to run into in regard to steep grades, mountain passes that might be snowed in... you know... hazards...other than towing an Airstream in the middle of winter.

I appreciate hearing about your experiences.

Thanks
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have done it several times some years ago in our Camper Van.

The plan was always the same. Watch the weather forecasts along the route and as soon as there is an opening, get onto the freeway or major highway and head south-southwest as fast as you can. Make the first two days long days and you will be in relatively moderate weather, Kansas, Oklahoma, or Texas. Maybe New Mexico. Easy going from there.

The Walmarts along the way make quick stopovers for the night, and plenty of blankets and the heater will keep you warm and comfortable.

Avoid bad weather, even make route adjustments for weather as you go, and it's a piece of cake. Don't even think about taking off in a snowstorm, or heading into one.

The current plan is to head more/less south mid-October, make the trip interesting with lots of different routes (sometimes via the East Coast) and end up in AZ for Jan-Feb-Mar. Same pattern home in April, different route each time.

Airstreams are built for travel, are darn good at it, and that's how we use it. We are exploring the Central Coast of California right now (Monterey), having a great time.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
For what it's worth, we found Tucson area a better winter destination than Phoenix, about a million less people and the much less urban sprawl that goes with it. We've stayed near both, Cheryl went to school and has family in the big city, so we visit there from time to time.

Old 11-16-2016, 05:06 AM   #4
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Pull Through Car Wash

One of the hardest things I encountered when going south with the trailer in the winter was finding a large enough, pull through, self-serve car wash in order to wash off all of the accumulated road salt.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
One of the hardest things I encountered when going south with the trailer in the winter was finding a large enough, pull through, self-serve car wash in order to wash off all of the accumulated road salt.

Blue Beacon will do a far better job. Can hit roof and undersides. There're no real savings versus coin op for the job quality.

1990 35' Silver Streak
2004 555 Cummins
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What dkottum said.

Watch the weather, and if your roads are clear...go.

Stop if a storm develops, wait it out, and when the roads are clear...go again.

Plan a route that will take you more or less straight south and then west, to avoid elevations, even if it's a few more miles.

Main interstates are generally the best in cold weather, and if you have to sit a storm out do it in a rest stop, truck stop, Cracker Barrel, etc., as states unaccustomed to snow and ice are not efficient removers of such, and you could find yourself stranded in a campground you cannot get out of...ask me how I know this?...3 days after an ice storm in Missouri, at which time we dug ourselves out with an axe and a camp shovel.

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Ditto to all the above.

Cross country truckers will use major roadways and know the weather.

Time your starts after first sun up so roads warm up a bit.

Keep in mind we do get freeze here in Phx but usually only for a few hours during the coldest part of the night, when we do, and then the sun will warm things up most every day.

You might have to take some small precautions over night at a Campground if you hear it will be low temps that night. Like wrapping an exterior faucet, leaving cabinets open, disconnecting a water hook up or leaving a slow drip.

Lots of folks on forum are here now and coming soon. They have lots of experience and will likely respond.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:24 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Can I reverse this question? My husband and I spent two weeks in MN in September and loved every minute of it. We realized that we want to go back to snow mobile, and can do so in our Interstate instead of in our trailer for more movability. We were told by locals that getting around for this purpose is doable if you're "careful" - whatever that means.

We are used to some snow/ice as we live in the mountains but nothing like the FEET of snow that MN gets. If we want to go to MN in February to snow mobile are there some tips that can help us do this safely? We know that some campgrounds are open then because we asked while we were there. I guess we just need to know how far off the beaten path we can get.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Might want to check w Arkyos if you can jump on and redirect his thread. Sounds fun though.

There are some forum members here who regularly go skiing with theire's and overnight in it.

There are are some tricks to overnighting in cold temps.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' International
Keene , Ontario
We did a trip from Ontario to Texas several years ago and had to adjust for freezing rain in Memphis and Houston. That was how we discovered the Natchez Trace Parkway. We were worried about freezing pipes etc and the trailer had been winterized so we stayed in motels along the way for the first 2 nights. Then flushed and filled up and grocery shopped. We had a great trip.
TheGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Do check out the mountain passes along your route-- they can still be quite high, windy, and snowy in the southwestern states. Just in case you're not used to the mountains in winter-- you can have rain in the valley, black ice part way up the slope, and blizzard conditions at the pass. There are no Walmart parking lots up there, although there may be some other place to pull off.

Be sure to check the state highway conditions. Just because it stopped snowing yesterday doesn't mean the roads are clear today.

We've done a bit of snow-birding, but our strategy (for future reference) is to leave the Bambi in a more southerly location at or near our destination in the Fall, and then when we drive south in February or March, at least we're not towing the trailer behind us.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:28 PM   #12
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
US State Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
We've done a bit of snow-birding, but our strategy (for future reference) is to leave the Bambi in a more southerly location at or near our destination in the Fall, and then when we drive south in February or March, at least we're not towing the trailer behind us.
This may work with a trailer, but my understanding is that for Canadians, the state in which you leave your trailer would want you to pay sales tax on it as if you have imported it. With a sailboat, for example, FL requires you to leave the country (not just the state) with the boat or they will tax you.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post
Can I reverse this question? My husband and I spent two weeks in MN in September and loved every minute of it. We realized that we want to go back to snow mobile, and can do so in our Interstate instead of in our trailer for more movability. We were told by locals that getting around for this purpose is doable if you're "careful" - whatever that means.

We are used to some snow/ice as we live in the mountains but nothing like the FEET of snow that MN gets. If we want to go to MN in February to snow mobile are there some tips that can help us do this safely? We know that some campgrounds are open then because we asked while we were there. I guess we just need to know how far off the beaten path we can get.
Minnesota is pretty good at clearing snow on the main roads...and eventually the side roads. We haven't had that much snow for the last few years, but it has been coooold. This year is supposed to be warmer (and certainly has been so far), but that is supposed to translate into a lot more snow. I don't think I would want to be too far off the beaten path...snowed in when it reaches -30 overnight.

I know some state parks say they will be open for camping as long as roads are passable. Milacs Kathio SP, for one. But since the northern parts of MN generally get the brunt of the storms...passable may be a relative term.

I don't think you would have too much trouble getting around in an Interstate. But I am still going to wait to see how things develop, before I decide whether I am going to chance towing the '72 Trade Wind south in January. I have plenty of experience towing and traveling all over the country...but the thought of hitting a mountain pass in a blizzard or ice storm gives me pause.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
arktos, just head to Santa Rosa, NM and make a weather check. West toward Phoenix, or Southwest toward Tucson then up, in the unlikely case you would have a snowstorm in the higher elevations.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:20 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
arktos, just head to Santa Rosa, NM and make a weather check. West toward Phoenix, or Southwest toward Tucson then up, in the unlikely case you would have a snowstorm in the higher elevations.
By way of Tucson....that sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 AM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfrere View Post

In winter the roads will be salted, and the salt spray will lead to some corrosion on whatever you drive (or tow). That's the main reason to leave the Airstream parked for the winter.

Typically all the public roads are plowed within 24 hours after a storm ends, with major roads being kept clear during the storm unless the weather is unusually bad. Roads within a park and forest routes may or may not be plowed depending on what management decides.

Safety wise, easiest thing is to stay off the roads in bad weather, and slow way down when on a road surface that has snow or ice on it. Driving on ice is a skill that takes practice. I've done it all my adult life, and I've had my kids take ice driving classes.

Some state parks keep part of the campground plowed all winter, others do not. Even those that are open typically do not have a dump station open, and only have water available in one or two places. Some private campgrounds are open all winter, but it's the exception. You will want to think through your strategy for loading water and dumping tanks, and call ahead to make sure the facilities you plan to use are actually open.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:51 PM   #17
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure.AS View Post
This may work with a trailer, but my understanding is that for Canadians, the state in which you leave your trailer would want you to pay sales tax on it as if you have imported it. With a sailboat, for example, FL requires you to leave the country (not just the state) with the boat or they will tax you.
Ours was purchased in Washington state, and we paid a *lot* of sales tax to bring it back to BC. The plan is to leave it in the US for about 4 months. We'll bring it home again after a spring desert camping trip.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote