Old 06-04-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
You can get to Estes Park without too huge a climb from the east...Mizzou...and then leave the trailer in the RV park and spend your time in Rocky Mountain will even cool off at night there!

TAC # TX-18

AIR # 410
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Four months after having a knee replacement I took my Airstream and hit the road to Moab. was hot there, however, I had a great time and even got a nine mile hike in.

When in the desert, limit your hiking and outdoor activities to mornings and evenings. The afternoons are good times to shop in air conditioned stores and for naps.

There are a lot less people there in the hotter months but,'s the desert. Don't let it stop you from having fun.....drink lots of water and have fun!

Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:49 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1972 31' Sovereign
Overland Park , Kansas
We are doing a southern Utah vacation at the end of August and yes, it will be hot! But being a desert climate it is a dry heat and we Missourian are used to humidity. We were there a couple of years ago and I recall saying "it doesn't feel like 100" but beware, it will suck moisture right out of you! Drink lots of water!
SweetStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:34 AM   #18
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Moab. Let me add some depth to the story by noting that modern eco-terrorism sprang in large measure from the experiences and thoughts of Edward Abbey, who was a ranger at Arches (just outside of Moab) in its early days as a national monument. To get feel for this, read Abbey's Desert Solitaire. Read reviews here. Abbey's consternation with modern development is evident there, at least in hindsight. The truely radical story springs from Abbey's thoughts on Glen Canyon Dam: Read Monkey Wrench Gang. Read reviews here.)

Hayduke lives!

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #19
Upgrading piece by piece
1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
More than just a terrorist...

"One final paragraph of advice: Do not burn yourself out. Be as I am a reluctant enthusiast... a part time crusader, a half-hearted fanatic. Save the other half of yourselves and your lives for pleasure and adventure. It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it is still there. So get out there and mess around with your friends, ramble out yonder and explore the forests, encounter the grizz, climb the mountains. Run the rivers, breathe deep of that yet sweet and lucid air, sit quietly for a while and contemplate the precious stillness, that lovely, mysterious and awesome space. Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." Edward Abbey
(my favorite of his writings) Jo
Poverty with a view in Jackson Hole
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 12:48 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Originally Posted by soldiermedic View Post
There may be an issue with the heat since I will have Collin with me. Seeing sites is nice, but I have to think about his comfort, and how if he isn't comfy that I will hear about it. I am trying to avoid going over some steep graded mountains as I am towing a 29' beast with a 1/2 ton chevy.

Steve, i just spent close to a month in Utah traveling all around to the parks, you will probably cook out there in Aug. I doubt it would be fun that time of year.

Also, i have a 2007 5.3 half ton silverado with a 23 ft in tow. Your AS must be heavier than mine, coming off big grades cooks brakes even in first gear. I have been on more than 12% grades so far, be carefull where you go. I was on a real bad one right before dark last night, over 12% grades and the worst switch backs i have ever seen. I still can't believe the truck went up it, my wife was horrified, me too, lol.

When i got down, i was driving so slow a cop pulled me over to ask me if i was lost, my hands were still shaking. He couldn't believe i pulled a trailer up there. The higher i went, the skinnier the road got. Be carefull with such a big AS with a half ton on grades. Now i agree with all of the guys that said, half tons are not the greatest with anything over a 19ft. I'm not saying it can't be done, but be carefull. Iv'e been all over Tenn, NC ect, the grades are not the same, the grades out west can last for miles. If diesel wasn't over 5 bucks a gallon i'd be buying one right now, one with the big air brakes, while i'm on vacation right now.
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #21
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Ah, yes, there are some spots that you should avoid! mrchinup1 may have found himself on the Moki Dugway. At night, it would be hard to see the signs indicating that it's no place for RVs. And it is, ah, well, exciting. Here's a little movie to illustrate:

YouTube - The Moki Dugway

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Only you know how you tolerate heat and whether you will sweat out salt, etc., fast. I never have gone to Utah's desert parks in the summer because it is a furnace.

Vail Pass (I-70) is over 11,000'. If you want to avoid high passes, you will have to go through New Mexico or Wyoming. I don't know the capacity of your truck's engine or the weight of your trailer. Some people have an easy time on Colorado passes with a half ton, some don't. With 385 hp my 1/2 ton Tundra gives me no problems.

Utah is for the spring or fall, you'll enjoy it more then.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote

moab, utah