Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
Minnesota/Wisconsin sites

We're planning our trip for next summer - probably in early September. We hope to spend time visiting Minnesota and Wisconsin having never been in either state. We hate returning home and discovering we were so very close to something we'll wish we had visited. We will definitely visit the Walker in Minneapolis, the Milwaukee Art Museum, the Dells and Door County - but then everyone knows about them. Are there other sites you've seen that you would consider a "Must See"?? We really like places of historical significance and architectural interest. We would appreciate anything you have to offer and will continue doing our own research. Thanks for any efforts you have to offer. We will gladly accept suggestions for comfortable (quiet) campgrounds also.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
The MN North Shore

Personally, I think the north shore area of MN is one of the nicest parts of the state. Starting in Duluth, go north east along the shore of lake superior as far as you want to go. The drive is really beautiful and there is plenty to keep you occupied. The split rock lighthouse is a pretty neat stop as is gooseberry falls SP.

In September, you will likely be a little early for fall colors, but you might get lucky and find the leaves turning towards the end of the month.

September is also prime time for apples... There are several orchards in the southern part of the state within an hour or two of the twin cities. You will probably find some varieties that you don't see anywhere else.

You will also find lots of cheese in Wisconsin and south east MN. Almost all of it is at least "good". Some of it falls into the "great" category.

I wish I could help with camping suggestions. When we lived there, I didn't have an airstream (or any RV in fact). We didn't do any camping back then.

We are planning to pass through MN the last week of August next year though, so if I find anything really nice, I will try and dig up this thread to let you know.

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:36 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Minnesota/Wisconsin sites

When traveling to the Dells, you might want to consider some nearby attractions:It isn't too difficult to find a number of things to do in Southwest Wisconsin. There is a wide variety of architecture and a number of interesting museums, etc.

Good luck with your planning!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
We will definitely visit the Walker in Minneapolis, the Milwaukee Art Museum, the Dells and Door County
Well, the Walker doesn't impress me too much. One of those places that the obligatory glass of wine is required to enjoy. In fact, they have to extort the money from us to support the thing.

We love Door County and go there every October. Duluth is a great place to visit, as are Ely and the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. Duluth has great museums.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
I would definately say the north shore of Lake Superior. If you head due north on hwy 2 from Two Harbors for about 15-20 miles, then west (it's been years, can't remember road names) to the Rollins, Brimson, Fairbanks, Toimi area you will love it . There are a couple of camp grounds near there, one is on Indian Lake at Brimson. Pretty rustic, but spotless, like most of the Superior National Forest.

Tom
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
The Fall Lake Campgroung in the Boundary Waters Area is rated as one of the best in the nation. We have stayed there and loved it. Gotta love the outdoors though.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Our favorite trek takes us up the North Shore Drive (Hwy 61) from Duluth to Grand Marais. You'll find lots of interest in Duluth before ever heading up the Shore Drive. Good places to eat, usually a festival going on down on the lake front, the lifting bridge that leads to the long (take your time and gawk all you want along the way) residential drive out the spit of land near down town (can't remember the name of the drive ) On the drive up the North Shore, you'll be able to stop at many state parks, all deserving a visit. Two Harbors is a great little community with a delightful walk all around the harbor. And Grand Marais has been a favorite family destination of ours for over 25 years! Hiking, kayaking, camping, all abound up here. From Grand Marais, you can continue up 61 to the Ojibway Reservation, Grand Portage, history to be learned here, and on into Canada if you choose--a drive with incredible scenic beauty. We like to turn up the Gunflint Trail which leads into the wilderness areas, studded with many lovely lakes, friendly resorts and outfitters, including some places where you can stop for a snack or have a gourmet northwoods dinner--and occasionally see a moose, bear, or very rarely a wolf. You can continue this drive all the way to the end of the trail on Lake Saganaga which shares shoreline with Canada and the US. Beautiful beautiful country. Hope you go and enjoy all you find to do!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Not much to see in Minnesota except the mosquitos. Not for wimps.

I came to Minnesota from Ohio 33 years ago and never got back to Ohio.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:07 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
Having grown up in southwest Wisconsin...The Brewing Museum in Potosi would be interesting (although I havent been there yet). The Mining Museum in Platteville...If youre planning to go to MN, the Apostle Islands in north west WI, arent far from MN.
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
TAC #WI-2
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:18 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
Darien , Wisconsin
I'd definitely go to Duluth and up the North Shore on 61.

2008 F-350 Diesel
WBCCI # 4106

Steve & Jan
99Limited34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
I can't believe that two states the size of WI and MN have nothing more to offer! I've read of a couple of interesting places to visit and, of course, the drive along the north shore. We were thinking of spending two or three weeks but it doesn't sound like there is three weeks of visiting in the two states. I'm surprised that no more can be mentioned of interest to see. Is there nothing else??
I'll let you know after we've been there for an extended visit next summer - maybe we should plan to go elswhere for our trip.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Graham , North Carolina
I have a friend from Brainard, Minn and he says there is nowhere better to visit. I watched a special on tv on gangstres and Machine Gun Kelly and the gang robbed a bank in Brainard.
Take care
jerrypeterma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:29 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
We've been thinking of a trip next year to Minn, Wis., and Mich. since I've never been to any of them and Barb has only been to Minneapolis. The we could swing by Jackson Center to get some things done. If that trip happens, we'll only have Hawaii left and I guess we can put an outboard on the Safari and go there.

A friend really liked the boundary waters though when camping via canoe he was stalked by a bear (he seems to attract bears and we don't want to go camping with him). We have traveled along the Ontario side of Lake Superior and it is well worth seeing and I'm sure the Minn. and Mich. side is beautiful too. I've read about some beautiful areas in the north of these states. Some friends went to Wisconsin and Minn. last year and enjoyed themselves.

Pilgrim, why don't you get some travel books on the area—we find Frommer's to be pretty good, though the 2009 editions won't be out for a while (sometimes they only come out every 2 years anyway). There are plenty of others plus AAA Tour books. We have found it well worth to buy some of those books to learn about the places in some depth so we don't waste a trip. Even though it may cost $40-60 for several books, information makes the trip better. And if you run out of things to do, you can park by the Lake and do nothing for a couple of days.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #14

1961 22' Safari
West Burlington , Iowa
growing up in Mn....

a cool historic place to visit would be Fort Snelling, towards the south end of the cities. It is a busy area as far as traffic is concerned, but a great historic site to learn about.

The above places are pretty to visit. If you do head up to the boundry waters or to Duluth, you can look into the Iron range near Virginia MN. Some cool sites there about the history of mining for iron ore and some large, I mean large machinery. If your into hockey, the hockey hall of fame is in Eveleth (town next to Virginia).

Those are a couple more ideas. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

joe
jolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
2016 27' International
Hillsboro , Texas
(Southeastern Minnesota) Eagle Cliff campground near Lanesboro (Eagle Cliff Index) right on the Root River. No mosquitos (really!) kayaking and tubing on the river, bike trails that go for miles through lovely small towns, Amish crafts for sale here and there, just a great place. Can't imagine not having fun there.
djs66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
IMHO, these states are worth much more than a tour: stopping nightly, and heading on the next day. We like to settle into a campground, spend a day or two in camp--especially along Lake Superior, and then day trip out to points of interest or scenic beauty. We are limited healthwise from being able to participate in the wonderful available outdoor activities such as hiking, kayaking, canoeing the Boundary Waters, and so on, and yet we always think, "This summer in Grand Marais" whenever the winter shutins set in on us. My disappointment has always been that we've not yet been able to schedule more than 3 weeks. Or have a year's sabbatical in the North Woods. I agree that getting some good books on the areas you are interested in will help you see the richness of this part of our country. Read, plan, and enjoy a marvelous summer Up North. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
Stillwater,Mn is a very nice old town,lots of antique shops,nice state parks at Willow river state park by Hudson,wi or Taylor falls,nm,or st.Croix falls,wi
The north shore is incredible,We could easily spend 3 weeks there alone.

Any of the state parks fill up quick so make res. early,like January.

Duluth has many museums,trains,The fresh water aquarium ,there is a big iron ore ship in the harbor which has a great tour.

Two harbors is a great town but you need to get down to the harbor to see the ore docks and light house.

farther north of Two harbors (about 40 miles) is the Temperance river,very cool hiking trails,water falls.

Another 25 miles is Grand Marias,we spend a week here every few years.
Great city campground,very beautiful harbor,lots of art galleries and shops.

30 miles farther Grand Portage and I think is the highest water fall in Mn.

Some places in Wisconsin:
Bayfield Wis. is a nice town on lake superior,lots of nice shops or boat rides out to the different islands,Light houses.

Devils lake state park south of Wisconsin dells is very nice,great hiking trails
Southeast of devils lake is:
"The house on the rock" is quite unique it is a place that collects collections,you can easily spend a day there taking the tour.
Then Frank loud wrights studio is very close to this also.
Well there are many more spots so keep looking,I wish I was going with.
Good luck with your plans
Doug

https://tinman54.blogspot.com/
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f228...tml#post616014
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 09:54 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Excella
Bemidji , Minnesota
MN/WI vacation

It all depends on what you like to do/see when on vacation! Lakes are the big thing up here... I've lived in MN most of my life and still haven't seen all I want to... ^_^ Oh...and don't forget Paul Bunyan in Bemidji!

Here are a few sites to get you started....

Explore Minnesota Tourism: Travel Information on Minnesota

Mall of America - Home

Thrifty Hipster - Minneapolis and St. Paul - Bars, Clubs, Happy Hour

Minnesota destinations: Northeast, North Central / West, Metro / Twin Cities, and Southern.

WI
Wisconsin Campgrounds and RV Parks, Camp Resorts, WI campsites camping in wisconsin lake vacation rental

Things to Do in Wisconsin - Wisconsin Attractions - TripAdvisor

Milwaukee Art Museum | Art Lives Here

Cranfest - Welcome to Cranfest Online!

Visitor Information, Madison WI Tourism
Old 11-21-2008, 04:59 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Sugar Grove , Ohio
That's what I was looking for - local knowledge. I'm buying all the books and magazines I can lay my hands on. I work with a colleague from Oshkosh, WI and she is writing down places she knows about - I was wondering what other locals think of as good places to visit. Not all these places are described in the books and magazines - that's what I was looking for - what do locals think of as good places to visit - especially local folks that are AS folks - after all, as 'streamers, we do have some things in common. I thank you for your contributions and now feel I have plenty of information to find our way around Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Dept. of Tourism

contact the respective Dept.'s of Tourism, they can provide you a lot of information. There are hundreds of spots depending on what you are looking for.

I always liked the 150+ year old dam and mill house on Mill Creek in Iowa County, WI....just turn at the old Blacksmith Shop in the Town of Hyde (only one way you can turn...in fact it is the only turn!)

The view from Wisconsin Heights by Mazomanie, WI is well worth it. You can walk the battle ground where the Sauk Chief Blackhawk and a few of his men held off the Militia (Abe Lincoln was in that Militia).

These are just examples, there are also things like trout fishing on the Brule River or tubing the rapids on the Wolf River...what do you like to do...there is also a strong tradition of BEER drinking under the awning at the end of the day...sometimes in the middle of the day too.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote