Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2015, 05:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St. Paul , Minnesota
Minnesota to Florida

We will be traveling from the Twin Cities to St Petersburg Florida in a few weeks. Anyone have recommendations for route, campground, places not to miss along the way?

Thanks in advance
rothse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Hey Rothse99,
Last spring, on our trip to Pensacola Fl, we spent the first night at Camp Lakewood, Effingham I'll, then Point Mallard Park in Decatur Al. The third night we stayed at Gunter Hill COE (liked the older loop) at Montgomery Al. On the Gulf coast we stopped at Davis Bayou in Mississippi. All were very nice.
Have a great trip.
Tim
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I can't help on the campgrounds. But the route we like from SW IA to Bonita Springs, FL could be similar to what you might do. It is all 4-lane roads. We cross MO to Hannibal then go south on Hwy 61 to St. Louis. Then I-55 to Memphis. Then to Birmingham, AL and through Dothan, AL to I-10 in the panhandle at Marianna, FL. I-10 intersects with I-75 east of Tallahassee. You avoid Atlanta, which I really dislike. You also will miss Nashville, which I don't care to tow through either. There are lots of campgrounds along this route.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:35 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
I like to avoid I75 in Florida and usually take highway 19 through Perry once you get east of Tallahassee. Four lane and little traffic except for last 45 minutes into Clearwater and St Pete. You can stop and see mermaids at Wachi Wache and manatees and other native florida animals at Homosassa Springs. Another fun side trip from this route is Cedar Key.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
You probably know this already, but I suggest avoiding Chicago anytime day or night and any day of the week. Hard to do I know. I tend to take I-39 south to Bloomington before turning east. At one time, the right lane of I-39 was coming apart down to rebar; however, it's mostly repaired. If you can't avoid Chicago, then go around as far out as possible. Try I-39 to I-88 to I-355 to I-80. I-90 is under construction east of Rockford. Be prepared to payout big time for tolls. You know, I don't mind paying tolls for good roads, but Illinois charges exorbitant tolls for the privilege to use their cruddy freeways.

I don't mind driving through Atlanta near as much as Chicago. I suggest getting into the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane and stay in it through Atlanta. Vehicles with two or more persons are allowed (trailers are not prohibited), but as a matter of courtesy I go with the traffic flow.

I don't mind driving I-75, it's just another freeway. If you're not in a hurry, work your way south to I-10 and Pensacola. I enjoy hugging the coast as much as possible by driving US 98 and, when available, US 30A, and the barrier islands. Make reservation at Henderson Beach State Park in Destin, FL. The white sand beach and turquoise water will make you think you're on a Caribbean Island.
martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Take 90 to Rockford IL then 39 south to Nashville, From there we prefer 65 south to Montgomery ans two lane divided to Marianne Fl, I-10 east to FL 19 and follow the coast. We have been taking this route for 5 years. 1,600 miles. Rene Lake off 39 is a first night. South of Nashville there should be commercial campgrounds open.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothse99 View Post
We will be traveling from the Twin Cities to St Petersburg Florida in a few weeks. Anyone have recommendations for route, campground, places not to miss along the way?

Thanks in advance

You don't say whether you are on a tight schedule. Assuming that you are not, I would suggest avoiding the Interstates wherever feasible. We just completed a 13,000 mile/81 day Airstream Adventure and drove on Interstates for about 1,000 miles. It was the most enjoyable trip that we have made. We got to see a lot of the real America on the back roads.

This being said, I would propose making your way south out of Minnesota south on US/State Highways through Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Mississippi. There are lots of campgrounds in the small towns along the route. They are easy to find using RV Parky or other smartphone apps.

Make your way through the Mississippi countryside on US 49 down to the fabulous Gulf Coast. There is a lot to see along US 90 and US 98 in Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle. You can continue past Panama City on US 98 through Port St. Joe, Apalachicola, St. George Island, and Panacea. From there the highway turns south along Florida's Left coast through Perry along US 19. A side trip to Cedar Key is always worth the time spent. Then it's an easy shot down along a very scenic route through Tarpon Springs and into the Tampa Area.

Whichever way you decide to go, have a safe trip and a great Airstream Adventure.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
St. Paul , Minnesota
Thanks everyone for all your valuable input.

Emily
rothse99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrod White View Post
I like to avoid I75 in Florida and usually take highway 19 through Perry once you get east of Tallahassee. Four lane and little traffic except for last 45 minutes into Clearwater and St Pete. You can stop and see mermaids at Wachi Wache and manatees and other native florida animals at Homosassa Springs. Another fun side trip from this route is Cedar Key.
I agree with taking 19 from Tallahasse south and up to Weeki wachee attraction but how you get to Clearwater on 19 without traffic must be in the middle of the night rushhour is all day on 19 south of WW Plan for more time and defensive driving on 19 south of ww.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Waynesville , North Carolina
If your path takes you near Little Rock, AR, check out Petit Jean State Park. We stayed there only one night in Late June, 2014. It was our favorite for a number of reasons of all the parks we stayed in in our round trip from Florida to Denver and back. We could have enjoyed several days there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	341.5 KB
ID:	250838  
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have made the trip somewhere south every winter for at least the last ten years. If leaving after Nov 1st we just head straight south as quickly as we can avoiding cold weather camping and winter road salt exposure to our Airstream. When arriving in moderate temps we really slow down and start looking around for local history and culture, architecture, food, countryside, and what's left of nature.

Natchez Trace National Park starts in Nashville and kinda heads in the wrong direction a bit for you, but it's a wonderful, scenic and peaceful drive through American history ending in Natchez, Mississippi which is an amazing little city. You then have an opportunity to drive through the heart of the South to your destination in Florida in decent touring weather.

We try to find a different route each fall and spring to see much of America on the way to enjoying winter weather in the southern states. We're partial to the Southwest but any destination and route has been and still is enjoyable.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote