Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Millenicom Price Increase Effective May 1, 2014 - A BIG One!

I received notice this evening by email Millenicom, my mobile hotspot wireless data provider, is raising the price of all of its 20 GB data plans to $89.99 per month. This represents a $30 increase over my current rate of $59.99. The higher cost is being attributed to a price increase they received from their upstream carrier (Verizon).

We've received good service from Millenicom over the past couple of years and enjoyed using the Verizon network through Millenicom for our mobile hotspot without the high Verizon data fees. After the May 1 price increase Millenicom service is still lower cost than Verizon for 20GB per month but the it is no longer an "incredible" value.

We've never used more than 12GB in a given month. I've emailed Millenicom asking for records of my monthly data usage over the past 12 months. Once I have the data, I'll be able to determine if we should keep Millenicom at the current rate or consider moving to a shared Verizon data plan for the hotspot with a lower data cap which we will share with our Verizon cell phones.

Other RV forums are lighting up with discussion about this news. Many full timers and people operating businesses on the road use the Millenicom plans. Does anyone who isn't grandfathered into an unlimited data plan with ATT, Sprint or Verizon know of any good alternative data plans for use on the road?

For those who have asked about my Pepwave Surf on the Go Router with USB modem, it will work on other networks (ATT, T Mobile and others) with no issues. I might have to purchase a new 4G USB modem stick depending on the carrier I move to (assuming I decide to change).

More to come as I evaluate alternatives.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote