Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
Midway RV Park, Trinidad, CA

I called Midway RV Park in Trinidad, CA, and told them I was a WBCCI member and wanted to know weekly rates. They asked the age of my trailer. It's a 1978. They said I couldn't stay with them because of the age of my trailer and their liability. I was directed to another RV Park in the area. I knew monthly stays would be a problem with some parks wanting to keep their ratings numbers high. I'm suprised that weekly stays are also a problem. Midway didn't care about how the trailer looked. Most parks are willing to take a look at older trailers.
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
You’re welcome to travel eastward for your camping if you like. I can't make any guarantees but we've not run into that problem anywhere we've been or at least we haven't been made aware of a rule here like that. I first learned of the camper age limit on this forum. There are several postings on that subject.

I believe some of the parks use a 10 year limit? ...but just think, an A/S is just barely in the prime of life at 10 years old!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #3
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Oh! BTW,

Welcome to the forums! It's great here!

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
I've wondered about the age limitation story I've seen at some parks. Personally, I think they're conflating age of rig with shabbiness. Ok, sure, it's often true that you see "hunter's specials" about, or you see ones that are often disabled hand-me-downs that are surrounded by junk and used as low-cost housing. It's understandable, then, that parks shooting for tourists might want to filter these out by some means. However, you can find an exception to almost every means, including the majority of Airstreams!

We use a different approch here: We limit the total number of longer-term rigs, and we have two different rates for those who want to stay longer. The lower rate is for folks we'd want here, often retirees escaping the heat for the summer. The higher rate is for rigs that are not fully self-contained; that is, for rigs whose water and heating systems are shot, so they need to use our bathhouse and loads of electricity. This generally hits the ones that are trying to use worn-out, non-functional junkers as living quarters.

Even so, I have misgivings about turning people away in this way. Sooooo, if folks with these kinds of rigs come in, we at least tell them which park in the area will accept them!

Lynn
Old 11-08-2004, 09:10 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Midway RV Park, Trinidad, CA

Greetings coastal me!

Welcome to the Forums!

Restrictions on age of the coach are present in the Upper-Midwest as I have encountered several such instances as well as a few times in the Rocky Mountain Region. One of my favorite campgrounds had a coach age restriction at one time, but the last time I camped there it was no longer posted behind the registration counter.

Since I rarely make my reservations ahead of time, I usually handle the situation as follows. I park my rig in the normal waiting zone and go into the office to register. If I am asked about the coach all I volunteer is that it is a 26' Airstream or 20' Argosy by Airstream. Then, if I am asked about the year I provide that information as well. I have only been refused parking at one park, but the more usual response is "Please don't tell the others how old your coach is and all will be just fine." - - that is if the model year question is even asked.

One of the most unusual situations that I ran into was when my coach was parked and setup, the owner was walking through the park and commented about how attractive my Airstream was to her. I invited her in and she gazed around the coach commenting about the beautiful cabinetry and upholstery - - then she asked how long I had owned the coach. I then told her that I had owned the coach since 1995 and this was in 2003. Her response was that it was too bad that the coach wouldn't meet their age limitation in two years. It was at that point that I told her that the coach was the same one that I had taken my first camping trip in when I was five years old and the trailer was new - - her expression was priceless. Despite its age, my coach and I have been welcomed back to that park several times.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 09:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
just show up

I tend to agree with Kevin about this. If you just show up there never seems to be a problem because very few people can tell the age of an Airstream unless they have owned one and if it is reasonably shiny you are good to go. I have never had a problem extending once I've been in a park for a few days or a week. About half the time I call for reservations, they get into the questions about age and say it will have to be inspected, etc.

If I ask them more specifically about what it is being inspected for, they always say plumbing and electrical, but I venture to guess that a lot of it has to do with the appearance and wanting to preserve the "ambiance" for the $400k diesel pusher crowd. I usually go somewhere else when that happens because it offends me, even though I suppose there could also be legitimate reasons for it, as Eubank has pointed out.

john
Old 11-11-2004, 09:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Maybe being that they are listed in the WBCCI book and they did not state in their listing anything about age limits they should be removed from the listing. False advertising and the like. Please contact WBCCI about the situation.
They have the right to pick who stays.
We have the right to tell them to go away.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:54 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I would not stay in a park that had age restrictions. I have met some of the most interesting and wonderful & giving people living to the best of their means in really run down caravans. Maybe they are down on their luck, have lost everything or love ones and just don't care anymore. They are still people. I started with nothing and worked hard to get where I am today with a small slice of the American dream. And that could be taken away from me at any time. I just don't agree with the age limit.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote