Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Post Mid-winter trip

Took the new Classic to Rockport, TX for 4 nights. Rockport is a fishing town turned tourist town and has RV parks by the dozen.

Rockport is almost exactly 200 miles from home. The Duramax made about 14 MPG both directions running at 65. The only close call was just barely missing a deer in the rain just 10 miles from home.

We arrived at Rockport and set up in the rain. It also rained the next day, so we drove to Corpus Christi to the Texas State Aquarium and the Corpus Museum with the Columbus ship replicas. The rain didn't bother us much except for tracking sand into the truck and trailer.

The next 2 days were perfect with temperatures approaching 70 and light breezes. We visited the marine museum and the Fulton Mansion which is a state historical site. I took a 4-hour tour on the Wharf Cat to see the Whooping Cranes while my wife shopped all the tourist traps.

Three nights were in the low-40s and one in the mid-30s. The heat pump kept the trailer plenty comfortable. The furnace was not used except to get more heat into the bathroom while showering. The electric element of the water heater provided plenty of hot water so that gas was not turned on except to get quicker recovery when showering.

I'm watching the weather reports and hoping not to have to re-winterize the trailer. I have plans for several 2-nighters at state parks over the next 2 weeks.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
John,
Did you get a chance to visit the USS Lexington aircraft carrier? I grew up in Corpus Christi, fished off Bob Hall Pier at Padre Island, fished the jetties at Rockport and fished a bunch in Aransas Pass not to mention crabbing in Bayside. Those were the good old days.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2004, 09:36 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by davidz71
John,
Did you get a chance to visit the USS Lexington aircraft carrier? I grew up in Corpus Christi, fished off Bob Hall Pier at Padre Island, fished the jetties at Rockport and fished a bunch in Aransas Pass not to mention crabbing in Bayside. Those were the good old days.
Didn't visit the Lex this trip, although I have been aboard her in the past. This time, it was raining and cold and she didn't look terribly inviting.

We did eat lunch with a great view of the Lex.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote