Old 08-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #29
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibby View Post
Today, a 50 city, 7 day tour of Michigan was initiated by two very creative and talented guys named Rob Bliss and Jeff Barrett... They aren't using an Airstream, but they should be! Take a look at this thread:

Pure Michigan partners with viral video guru Rob Bliss for 7-day, 50-city tour of state | MLive.com

I LOVE it. Thanks and what a great idea. Believe me, I sure wish I could come up with a way to make a living here. Houghton would be right at the top of my list!

I really appreciate the heads up on the video !

Old 08-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
Good to Hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
Thanks so much for the recommendation of Houghton City RV Park! I am in Michigan for a month and took your advice on where to stay while touring around the Keweenaw Peninsula. I arrived today and am in site 2. This has to be one of the most beautiful places I have stayed and only $28 a night for cable, wi-fi (which is great) and full hookups. What a deal. Bike and walking trails to town and a sunset that money could not buy.

Thanks again for such a great recommendation. This place is a must but you need a reservation. It stays full and you cannot stay more than 7 days.

I love it here!

KDS
So glad to hear you like the park. We have reservations for the end of September. Have fun.

59 Traveler
68 Sovereign
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #31
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Maybe not for this trip if you're short on time, but if your son will be at Michigan Tech for four years, sometime park your rig in Houghton for a few days and take the Ranger III passenger ferry over to Isle Royale National Park. There are no roads on the island, but there is a lodge at Rock Harbor where the boat lands, with some day excursions by boat and trail, as well as multiple backpacking destinations for the young and hardy (this wouldn't be us anymore, alas!) The ferry runs from about the end of May through mid-September, when the park pretty well shuts down for the winter.

I had a summer job there years ago, and have always wanted to go back.

www.nps.gov/isro/index.htm

Jeanne
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
What cool spirit - and great video - what a riot!!

We can't wait to explore the UP, but first we need to get our son up to school - heading out in a few days.

We'll try to share some experiences and pictures from the UP, and thanks to all for some great suggestions!
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #33
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilesrob View Post
What cool spirit - and great video - what a riot!!

We can't wait to explore the UP, but first we need to get our son up to school - heading out in a few days.

We'll try to share some experiences and pictures from the UP, and thanks to all for some great suggestions!
Sure hope you have a site here at Houghton City RV Park!!!! Safe travels. What a great college town. Wish my daughter was going here cause I would LOVE to come and visit!

Kelly
Old 08-21-2012, 07:35 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kds View Post
Sure hope you have a site here at Houghton City RV Park!!!! Safe travels. What a great college town. Wish my daughter was going here cause I would LOVE to come and visit!

Kelly
We do! We'll be there 2 nights this weekend and then we leave the bright lights and the big city to go explore.
WBCCI #1271

Old 08-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #35
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Thumbs up Michigan

Quote:
We do! We'll be there 2 nights this weekend and then we leave the bright lights and the big city to go explore.
Great, I'm in site #2 with my daughter. Stop by and say hello if you have time. I would love to meet you!

Kelly
Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
On our way!
WBCCI #1271

Old 08-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #37
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
OMG - we're going to need more time!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
nilesrob, you have no idea....
Danielle and I just spent the better part of a month in Michigan - near Mackinaw City, then the U.P. and finally with some time at Sleeping Bear Dunes. All this after spending over 10 days in the lower part of MI last year. We loved it and will definitely go back again!

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #38
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
I feel like I just found a new best friend - the UP!! I said to my wife, how did this area escape our notice? GORGEOUS!

We have been camped at Houghton City RV Park (right on the canal) as a base camp and have walked, hiked, kayaked in some spectacular spots. And we were greeted by fellow Airstreamers when we arrived - yeah!!

We have traveled to Copper Harbor and I have kayaked - nothing less than fabulous - felt like being in the ocean with 2-3 foot swells, with crystal clear water.

We hiked a 5 mile summit trail yesterday near Mirror Lake in the "Porkies" (Porcupine Mountains), and today traveled to Painted Rocks near Munising, where if you didn't know where you were you would swear you were somewhere in the Caribbean.

Tomorrow morning we are headed to Emily Lake to boondock for a day or two. We did a drive-by and this remote campground is to die for - OMG. After that, work beckons and we will start our journey south, knowing that this is an area we will most definitely return. Unbelievable.

Thanks again for some great suggestions! Oh, did I mention we have had pasties??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4201.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	167062   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4254.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	167063  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4274.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	167064   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4283.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	167065  

WBCCI #1271

Old 08-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #39
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
I feel like I just found a new best friend - the UP!! I said to my wife, how did this area escape our notice? GORGEOUS!...
Brad and Karen,

We know what you mean. All of Michigan and particularly the U.P. are on our list of places to visit again. Maybe sooner than later.

Somebody we spoke to on our trip said Michigan is not on many destination lists because you don't have to drive through it while going somewhere else. The entire state is a peninsula, and unlike Florida (another peninsula) that has appeal nearly year-round, you really have to go out of your way to visit Michigan.

Have you noticed all the snowmobile trails that run parallel to, and cross, the main roads? You know the U.P. must be fun during the winter if you like that kind of thing. How about the buildings that have doors on the second floor that seemingly go nowhere. Guess that winter snow can really pile up!

For us, Michigan was like a well-worn glove - an easy fit. At the same time it was like Christmas morning with new and exciting things at every turn.

We're already talking about going back. Who knows? Maybe next summer. If we do go back we'll keep you posted. Anyone interested in a Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner build? We could make it a real caravan to the U.P.!

Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #40
kds
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Frederickburg , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Brad and Karen,

We know what you mean. All of Michigan and particularly the U.P. are on our list of places to visit again. Maybe sooner than later.

Somebody we spoke to on our trip said Michigan is not on many destination lists because you don't have to drive through it while going somewhere else. The entire state is a peninsula, and unlike Florida (another peninsula) that has appeal nearly year-round, you really have to go out of your way to visit Michigan.

Have you noticed all the snowmobile trails that run parallel to, and cross, the main roads? You know the U.P. must be fun during the winter if you like that kind of thing. How about the buildings that have doors on the second floor that seemingly go nowhere. Guess that winter snow can really pile up!

For us, Michigan was like a well-worn glove - an easy fit. At the same time it was like Christmas morning with new and exciting things at every turn.

We're already talking about going back. Who knows? Maybe next summer. If we do go back we'll keep you posted. Anyone interested in a Habitat for Humanity RV Care-A-Vanner build? We could make it a real caravan to the U.P.!

Lucius
I'm in for a Habitat Care-A-Vanner build. As you know, I did one in Manistique, MI and then Ispheming, MI. I LOVE the UP. Hope to meet up with you and head North next summer. Maybe we can get "The Slowsky's " to come? haha

KDS