Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Michigan Upper Pen.

Greetings.

We are planing a trip to Michigan's Upper P, and Pictured Rock is going to be our camping destination. We will be leaving in a few weeks, so I'm pretty sure the weather should be OK, barring an in-land huricane.

We are strongly leaning toward a campground called Bay Furnace. It has water, dump station, but no electric, so we will be packing the Honda.

Keeping in mind that we want water and a dump station, can anyone recommend a favorite campground? We looked into the Munising Tourist Park, and a couple of places that were more RV resort like. They seem nice but we prefer to be out a little more.

Our only requirements are water and a dump station. And since I will be using my Eurovan, we are trying to avoid tons of hills. How are the roads around Hiawatha?

Any suggestions would be wonderful.

Thank you.

Jonathan
Old 06-01-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
there is a state park called JW Wells. It is south of Escanaba on Green Bay. in the town of Ceder River. they have electric but no water on the site their is a dumping station. I camped there when I was a kid and the a couple of years ago wirht my Argosy.
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
We go up there regularly. We stay at a State Forest campground called Kingston Lake. Very remote and on the way to all the land based views.

One word of caution, make sure you have GOOD mudflaps if you go out that way.....lots of sand/gravel roads. I hauled our Safari through it with mudflaps that were oversized....didn't get one rock ding!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev
Greetings.

We are planing a trip to Michigan's Upper P, and Pictured Rock is going to be our camping destination. We will be leaving in a few weeks, so I'm pretty sure the weather should be OK, barring an in-land huricane.

We are strongly leaning toward a campground called Bay Furnace. It has water, dump station, but no electric, so we will be packing the Honda.

Keeping in mind that we want water and a dump station, can anyone recommend a favorite campground? We looked into the Munising Tourist Park, and a couple of places that were more RV resort like. They seem nice but we prefer to be out a little more.

Our only requirements are water and a dump station. And since I will be using my Eurovan, we are trying to avoid tons of hills. How are the roads around Hiawatha?

Thank you.

Jonathan
Jonathan,
My family is from Munising. We have land located between Munising and Escanaba.
If you want a nice campground, try Pete's Lake State Park. It is right off of Forest Highway 13. It is on the east side and is about a mile from the FH. They have some pretty sites that have a view of the lake. Pete's Lake is nice in size. It is about a half hour to forty-five minuet drive from Pete's Lake to Miner's Castle.
If you can get up there around July 4th, the fireworks display on the bay in Munising is AWESOME! I used to be there EVERY July 4th.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazylev

Thank you.

Jonathan
The roads are relatively flat until you get near the lake. There is a nice sized hill coming out of Munising up the Wetmore Hill. That is located east of town. Come to think of it, there is a nice one west of town too.
I know Munising well. My Mom was born and raised there.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Munising is also about the only warm beach area that you can actually venture into Lake Superior for swimming. I should amend that this is coming from a Minnesotan more familiar with the North Shore.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Munising is also about the only warm beach area that you can actually venture into Lake Superior for swimming. I should amend that this is coming from a Minnesotan more familiar with the North Shore.

You're thick skinned....I've been there many times and it's cold, even for someone from Chicago where we too get plenty cold!
Old 06-02-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
You're thick skinned....I've been there many times and it's cold, even for someone from Chicago where we too get plenty cold!
Maybe, but the bay there is extremely shallow and the water was actually warm just west of Munising at a lakeshore campground. Now the Minnesota North Shore is absolutely hostile and intolerable. No way will I put my little toe in that water. But then a couple of years ago we put our kayaks in at Grand Marais, MI, Rossport, Ontario and one of the provincial parks in Ontario with a little trepidation because we did not have dry suits at the time.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Ever swim at Miners Beach!
BRRRR!!!!! Now, that is cold!
It also has a pretty good undertow.
It is still some of the most unspoiled lakefront in the country. Simply beautiful!
I suggest that anyone who loves unspoiled and gorgeous scenery to visit the UP. If I could find work in my field up there I would move back.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:02 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Maybe, but the bay there is extremely shallow and the water was actually warm just west of Munising at a lakeshore campground. Now the Minnesota North Shore is absolutely hostile and intolerable. No way will I put my little toe in that water. But then a couple of years ago we put our kayaks in at Grand Marais, MI, Rossport, Ontario and one of the provincial parks in Ontario with a little trepidation because we did not have dry suits at the time.
I love Grand Marais...reminds me somewhat of a new england town for some reason...as for the water, either one of two things, I don't have any guts when it comes to cold water or you are a far more brave soul than I to venture into Superior.....it'd have to be a VERY hot day for me.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:06 PM   #11
Rivet Master

I remember, one July 4th, daring my cousin to jump off of the pier in Munising. He did it, but I had to let him ride back to the cottages in the front seat of my car without a towel!
It is cold but you get used to it after your core body temperature drops a few points of a degree!
Old 06-02-2005, 08:10 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattersontoo
I remember, one July 4th, daring my cousin to jump off of the pier in Munising. He did it, but I had to let him ride back to the cottages in the front seat of my car without a towel!
It is cold but you get used to it after your core body temperature drops a few points of a degree!
I think I know that pier....and there is no way....and they have a name for when your core temp goes down a few degrees....it's called hypothermia.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I think I know that pier....and there is no way....and they have a name for when your core temp goes down a few degrees....it's called hypothermia.
"Hypothermia"? I think that was my mother's maiden name!
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
schaumburg , confusion
Send a message via AIM to Tikihut
Lake Superior not that cold. that is where I learned to scuba dive. It is just first a tad cold when you jump in and things go into hiding and won't come back for an hour or so till you thaw out
Tikihut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
When our kids were young teens, their annual rite of summer (and proving they could outdo one another) was jumping off the rock ledges just beyond the campground at Grand Marais, MN, onto various and assorted float devices and swimming like crazy to get over to shore-water temps were usually in 40-50 degree range in mid summer. I as mom was usually jumping up and down on shore yammering about how they were going to kill themselves, but they didn't, and these are favorite family camp tales now many years later. And I doubt that big body of water has warmed up any! Lakes up the Trail were hot tubs in comparison. Playing aside in limited situations, we were always aware that chilly Lake Superior water could be deadly. Beautiful, but deadly.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I can not remember any hills of size in that part of the UP. If you have time and the adventure spirit you need to drive up to Copper Harbor on the pennisula. You will find good camping, and scenery that will blow your mind.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
I second an excursion to Copper Harbor. They have great delicious pasties and other foods at the restaurants, and the sun doesn't set til 11pm! Well, anyway, Pictured Rocks is great, and I think the MI state parks are just great, even if you do only get electricity at the sites.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 07:36 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Copper Harbor is close to where my grandmother was born and raised. She was in Hubbell.
My great-grandfather used to own the IGA in Hubbell.
I still have several great-aunts, (mostly widowed now), that live in Lake Linden, Calumet and Ahmeek.
I like Eagle. Nice quiet place and the view is awesome!
Anyone ever been to Isle Royale? As much as I have been up there I have never gone. I have heard that it is an amazing place.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:13 AM   #19
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Thank you all for your responses.

We are very excited. I think we will be staying in a campground called Bay Furnace. They have running water and a dump staion and that is about it. And as far as I can tell, it looks to be a paved road getting there and back. There are three prime sites that overlook the lake.

Right now this is our plan, but that could change upon arrival, depending on what we come across and how tired we are from the eight + hour drive.

We will venture out on some of the rougher roads, but just not with the AS in tow.

I'm thinking we camp there, and day trip to all the sites around the area.

It sounds like I can lighten our cargo a bit by leaving my Speedo in it's special little holder. Cold water could cause havoc on what is left of my man-hood.

Silvertwinkie: thanks so much for your pictures and help. Positively if we were just camping with the Eurovan camper, we would go to Kingston Lake, but the wife is spoiled by the AS shower and amenitys. Talk about being in the middle of nowhere....

Thanks again, we'll report in if we get any kind of internet connection up there.

Jonathan
Old 06-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Isle Royale

Isle Royale is very beautiful. We took a 28' boat from the tip of the penninsula over to Rock Harbor in August. The lake was like glass. We day hiked from various little harbors around the island. I never saw a smiling backpacker. They all seemed to wish they had brought less weight..... The trails are full of them. The neatest thing was to go around a bend in the trail and see a full size Bullwinkle standing there. Too cool!
No roads, so no Airstreams.....
AIR#2276
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote