Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
Isle Royale is very beautiful. We day hiked from various little harbors around the island. I never saw a smiling backpacker. They all seemed to wish they had brought less weight..... The trails are full of them. The neatest thing was to go around a bend in the trail and see a full size Bullwinkle standing there. Too cool!
No roads, so no Airstreams.....
i had a friend who back packed isle royale back in the 70's b4 they had freeze dried meals...he weighed all his food and placed in baggies for each meal and snacks...in spite of all that, he managed to enable some medicine(brandy) in his pack.....if you go do not stray from the trails,(this could have changed) as there are air shafts one could fall down...isle royale also has an indigenus mineral found nowhere else..maybe you can putakeepsakeinyour pack.iam past that age to do this trip... if you go enjoy, the only time you need to worry about bullwinkle is rutting season..
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander17
Isle Royale is very beautiful. We took a 28' boat from the tip of the penninsula over to Rock Harbor in August. The lake was like glass. We day hiked from various little harbors around the island. I never saw a smiling backpacker. They all seemed to wish they had brought less weight..... The trails are full of them. The neatest thing was to go around a bend in the trail and see a full size Bullwinkle standing there. Too cool!
No roads, so no Airstreams.....
I actually saw a semi hit a moose on M-28!
I have always wanted to go to Isle Royale. My mother's whole family is from the U.P. and not a one of them has ever been to Isle Royale.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 08:54 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Jonathon,

Can you give me info on Bay Furnace CG? I can't find it in my guides and now you've got me intrigued to go up there for vacation this year.

John
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:37 AM   #24
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hello John.

Try this link:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/hiaw...area/index.php

They also have a dowload-able map of the campground.

Jonathan
Old 06-05-2005, 02:02 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Cool Upper Penisula Campgrounds

I agree that Copper Harbor is a must see. You should do Rockaway Drive while there.

If you are on the south side of the UP, I have several recommendations as we really like the Manistique area.

Indian Lake State Park is really nice. Electric only, no water or sewer but a great campground. WHile there, go to Palm Book state park to view Big Springs.

Driftwood Shores is right down 2 from Manistique in Thompson. Water and electric, no sewer, dump station. Very clean. Camp on the shores of Lake Michigan. Very unique in it is far enough down the UP that you can see the sunrise over Lake Michigan.

Log Cabin Resorts in Curtis is about 30 minutes from Manistique. Pull through sites, full hookups. On Big Manistique lakes. Near Germfask and the Seney Wildlife Preserve. Went to the Fish Decoy Carver in Curtis. Neat experience.

While you are in area, go to Fayette State Park. This is old iron smelting company town that has been fully restored. We did not stay in the campground associate with the state park.

If you are in Manistique, go by the Mustard Seed. This is a small store that has a lot of items produced by local Artisans.

All in all, great area and very friendly locals. They seem to welcome and enjoy the tourists. Just remember that Yoopers refer to downstaters as Trolls (we live beneath the bridge).

Regards,

Jeff
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 06:58 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
When you cross the bridge into Yooper territory be sure you put on your stompers, particularly the women. That way you will fit in better with the locals. Another way to do it is to come up on the West side of Lake Michigan through Wisconsin never admit there was a border and say you just got lost.
For real flavor of the UP visit the Tourist Trap in Ishpeming.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:04 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Finally put my U.P. pics up on the web from last summer:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=16891

Enjoy!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 07:18 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hey, Lev, how was the UP trip? We went up in August, my Avatar is a picture of us, pulled into a beach access along highway 2 on Lake Michigan. Beautiful weather this summer.
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #29
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Hi AYRSTRM2.

We had a great time. Did not want to leave. Had lake-side site. We stayed at Bay Furnace, to which I would go back at the drop of a hat.

Hope you had a good one as well.

Jonathan