Old 12-14-2010, 10:52 PM   #57
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Decriminalization of marijuana is hard to imagine in the US. Special interest groups, who are the real power in the US now, would never permit it, despite what a simple majority of the population wants.

Too bad, since it would free up a lot of jail cells if they did, but Cheech and Chong as co-Presidents..? Hmmm, maybe!

Old 12-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Mexico...con't.

thanks for the numerous opinions and advice.......we are leaving for the rio grande valley next week and stay awhile in or around weslaco, tx........in our shiney airstream (love it). i will ask around and get a feel from fellow campers regarding day trips (without the airstream) to progresso and or reynosa, mx.,
two years ago we camped in columbus, n.m. and walked across the border to palomas, mx...... really enjoyed eating at the 'pink house', getting my teeth cleaned for $10.00, buying great pottery, filling prescriptions at 20% of usual cost, buying a bottle or two of liquor and just generally enjoying the atmosphere.......................
however, the next year there was a major drug related shoot out there and that was the end of those good times......
we shall see and i will report back.
we have camped from coast to coast but always in state parks or corps of engineer parks. staying in a 1000 site campground will also be a new adventure (a little aprehensive) but at this time of year we will do anything for a little sun.
can't wait to get on the road again.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #59
1 Rivet Member

West Richland , Washington
The situation is sad. We used to go to Tucson once a year to visit my husband's dad and do a day trip to Nogales while we were there. We'd park at the Nogales AZ WalMart and walk over the border. We had a favorite seafood restaurant in "downtown" Nogales that would remember us from year to year.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwally View Post
...... really enjoyed eating at the 'pink house', getting my teeth cleaned for $10.00, buying great pottery, filling prescriptions at 20% of usual cost, buying a bottle or two of liquor and just generally enjoying the atmosphere.......................
Taking advantage of cheap Mexican drugs(including the 'illegal" ones), liquor, and dental services has been a fun form of recreation for us fortunate North Americans but less so for the border town residents caught in the inevitable crossfire of the struggle for control, power, and wealth.
Chances are you can still walk in and get your jumbo shrimp dinner, a bottle of Kahlua, and some Lipitor without a problem, just as you could in Washington, DC., but with more "atmosphere". I would not let hyped-up fear deter me from doing this, but I would try to learn more about the actual dangers created by US and Mexican policy relative to the demands and habits of North American consumers.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Mexico should be of concern to all of us. If you are interested, take a moment to read John Grassby's briefing paper on this subject:

http://www.northamericanmediation.co...b-10%20_2_.pdf

I think he does a pretty credible job of laying it out.
Excellent paper...hit's the nail right on the head. However, if those same facts are repeated by a ordinary American non-Hispanic citizen, he will be shouted down by sceames of racism. Sorry, it's just a fact.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #62

1978 Argosy 24
henderson , Nevada
Baja Mexico is still safe. Especially southern Baja. The only sketchy part is the 1st 10 miles getting through Tijuana.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Too many places in the good ole' USA for me to take a chance in Mexico. If I was in Yuma, I might walk across to Algodonas, but I sure ain't driving my TV and AS across into Mexico, no way. Forget about Nogales or Juarez, you gotta be nuts.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Just returned from spending the winter in San Carlos, Sonora. We feel safe there and on the Sea of Cortez in our boat where we spend a month cruising and fishing. Our little town is in the desert (no pot growing) and off the smuggling corridors. We feel as safe there as in our little town in Colorado.
The Mexican Navy has cracked down on the Sea of Cortez and there is little smuggling there so it is safe to cruise as many Americans and Canadians do.
That being said, I wouldn't repeat some of my long rv trips where we have visited all of the Mexican states during various trips. I would not travel to many of the areas I enjoyed in the past.
There are some well publicized areas that are dangerous and many that are relatively safe.
If you want to fly in to a mainstream tourist destination, you will be safe.
Baja California generally is safe because no drug growing and no smuggling.
Lots of tall tales being told by those who have never been there.
If you enjoy Mexico and know your destination, by all means go.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:50 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Flying into Mexico is one thing, but driving, not me. Have you seen everything you want to see in the USA and Canada? Why go into a country that hates us except for our money? Think about it.

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 07-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #66
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Airstream in Mexico, maybe back in Wally's day, wouldn't even consider it today.

In WNY we go North to visit the "frostbacks".

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Five years ago we were having dinner in a restaurant in Dawson City, Yukon, and listening to a couple tell a story about their trip to Mexico. I don't know where they were, but they were on a bus and were stopped by banditos. The banditos put a few rounds through the engine block, another bus came along, and they did the same thing. They started taking valuables….

I don't know how things turned out because we were finished and Barb wanted to leave, but the storytellers obviously survived. This was not an encouraging story and I suppose it could happen here too. On the other hand, a friend (no trailer I think) went to Baja Cal. a few years ago and all was well.

I'd love to explore Mexico, but I would not want to risk my wife's life, so we stay north of the border. It's not just some of the border towns—there have been incidents in some tourists towns such as Acapulco and in Yucatan.

Gene
Old 07-11-2011, 09:21 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We have enjoyed the couple of times over the last year or so we've been down to Rocky Point (Puerto Peñasco) with our Airstream...and friends with their Airstreams (4 all together). We're planning another trip this fall. I'm not sure I'm ready to travel there alone, but we feel fairly safe with a group. We do stick to main roads, we travel together, we don't hang around in border towns, we don't travel at night, and we don't do stupid things that would put us at risk. Rocky Point depends on American tourism and the people there have always treated us well.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:54 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I've been to Rocky Point; fast going into Rocky Point, and REAL SLOW getting back to the USA. On the way back I had to "pay" 11 times for my windshield to get washed. No thanks, I'd rather go to San Diego or Brownsville and spend my money here in the USA. In the summer, I'm going to the Northwest or Canada, they speak English and don't shoot us.

Pap
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
Old 07-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #70
Retired Fishing Guide

2005 28' Classic
Port O'Connor , Republic of Texas
We used to go to Mexico several times a year. Mostly crossing around Progresso. A neighbor was down there a couple of weeks ago. Goes across and has dental work done there. He stated that he is considering changing and having it done on this side of the border due to the activity (Cartel & Federal). He only saw a very few gringos (he is Mexican) in the town of Nuevo Progresso. It's normally filled with US citizen getting medications , as they about 20 to 30 percent of the cost on this side.
If I wanted to go to a war zone I'd be in Iraq or Afganistan

WBCCI # 3133
Cap-N-Red is offline   Reply With Quote