Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 PM   #29
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
This is one reason we abandon the trailer and fly to either Australia or New Zealand for our winter summers. Never had a problem there.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
Any problems flying into Cabo??? We are going to a family time share in Jan. Should we be concerned+++

Old 12-12-2010, 09:57 PM   #31
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Do you really want to go just to test the waters? The papers up here have talked about murders in many different places, not just the border towns.

Do some research into it, the news isn't hidden..
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Any problems flying into Cabo??? We are going to a family time share in Jan. Should we be concerned+++
I wouldn't be concerned flying into Cabo. I would be concerned about the security getting from the airport in San Jose to Cabo.

We have friends who are on a sailing trip with about 30 other boats from San Diego. They stopped at several places along the Baja Coast, Cabo, and are now in La Paz. They have had no trouble.

I know they are having a good time, and hope the trip remains trouble free.

I don't think I would have gone.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
I've been in and out of Mexico for the last 30 years. Not for vacation but to work.
In the last five years things have gotten a lot more unstable than anything I've seen before. It's not just Mexico. The whole world is just a lot more dangerous at anytime since WW2.
Mexican government and police are corrupt by US standards. You have to pay bribes to get anything done. What you might consider "being shaken down", they might think of as business as usaul. If you are not part of the culture, traveling down the roads in an AS is going to be a very bad experience.
Not only do you have to deal with the local and state police but you also have other groups to avoid. The drug gangs, local theives and local political groups. Sometimes the lines can blur; you might be dealing with all three at once.
Mexico does not allow you to bring handguns into the country. You may bring shotguns and rifles for hunting. (check with the Mexican consulate before doing so) No matter what you bring, you will be out-gunned by the locals.
I have never seen an RV park in Mexico. They do have them but there aren't many. Just where are you going to camp?
Check out this site: On the Road In -* A Comprehensive Travel Guide to RVing, Camping and Safe Driving in Mexico and Nevada
Finally, there is the matter of insurance. Your policy excludes Mexico. You will need to get an extra policy or rider to cover your trip. This can get expensive.
If I could not travel with someone that grew up in Mexico I wouldn't go.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Visit Kabul, we have more troops there to protect you. God bless em all.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
Cabo is about as American as it can get in MX. It is a resort town and Cruise ship destination, I suspect that many who have problems there are the ones who act like idiots. Just like any other country, if you act respectful of their culture and rules etc... you should have a great time.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Border Fence

Here are a couple of photos of the new Border Fence that runs along the border of AZ and MX. It is a pretty substantial project. The other photo is an RV park right next to the fence in Lukeville, AZ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2277.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	279.3 KB
ID:	116930   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2276.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	116931  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2280.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	116932  

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:44 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Mexico con't........

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions.
What in the world has gone wrong with this world ????? Killing, killing, killing, violence, torture, drugs, evil, corruption.....what went wrong ?
(remember the Haas family shot to death in their camper in new mexico this year) ? someone tell me what is wrong ?? can't even take a simple camping trip without the fear of being gunned down !!!!

however, we LOVE our airstream and will continue to travel......with one hand on the wheel and the other on my smith & wesson.

guess we will stay out of mexico.....thanks again.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
I wonder what the statistics show? How many gringos driving across the border are the victims of crime, compared to the total amount driving over in any given time frame? Is it safer to go in a caravan than going solo? Safer in a car than a big shiney RV? Safer on a one-day drive down, say to San Felipe, than all the way to the Yucatan? Then you could see what your odds are of having a good time, and then gas up and roll the dice.
I used to fantasize of spending winters in my AS, parked on some Yucatan beach, but I've turned into a chickens**t old man who doesn't want to risk safety, peace of mind, and my AS to achieve it. To all of you who are up to that adventure, I say Buen Viaje y Buena Suerte! -tim
Old 12-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #39
Old Fulica

1994 25' Excella
Abbotsford , British Columbia
Teacapan

Last January we headed across the border at Lukeville with 2 other rigs who had been there before. It was our first time. Our destination was Villas Onac close to Teacapan. Our first stop on the three day trip was Santa Ana where the RV resort owner told us not to linger around Culiacan as the drug lords called this their home base. The main highway was dotted with toll booths which weren't expensive but annoying. I wondered what would happen if the rig broke down as the roads had no shoulders to park on and the drivers weren't giving us any respect. We made it to Teacapan on the third day. The campsite was beautiful. On the ocean with dolphins jumping close to shore. We had electricity and sewer hookups. Water was by jugs which was cheap. The campsite was quite busy with people staying a few months and others just passing through. Mostly Canadians just like us. It was a little bit of paradise.
We would head into Esquinapa or Teacapan for supplies and on one of these trips we met a young man working in a grocery stand who spoke perfect English.
My wife and I are not much for sitting in one spot so one day we decided to head out on our own and some birding which is our hobby. We stopped at an isolated roadside pullout about 10 miles south of Esquinapa. I walked about 100 yards towards some bird activity and my wife joined me a few minutes later. We were scanning the brush with binoculars when I heard or detected something behind us. I turned and saw a person running towards us. I could see he was masked and holding a gun. We had no where to go as the jungle was our only escape. He was puffing when he reached us and indicated with the gun he wanted us to get further back off the road. We complied. My thought was he was going to shoot us and wanted us out of sight. We had heard many stories such as 5 beheadings in Esquinapa and a fellow traveller who was punched in the face while we were there. The thought that was going through my head was when should I start fighting back. He tapped my watch with his gun and I took it off and then he said the only word in English "money". I gave him what I had in my wallet. He didn't want credit cards. He made us get down on our hands and knees and proceeded to try and get my wifes rings off. He was having a difficult time doing this and I was starting to get worried he may try and cut them off. He had put the gun in his belt as he was doing this. I saw a rock beside my hand and grasped it. I thought if he tries anything drastic with her I have to use the rock. Finally he succeeded and said "vamoose". He ran towards the hills and the last thing we saw was him scrambling through the brush with over 5-$8000 of our belongings. (Who can out a value on the wedding rings?)
We headed back to Esquinapa throughly shaken. We looked up the young man we met at the grocery stall who offered to take us to the federales. They took a report and this came in handy for our insurance claim when we arrived home. My wife asked the federales if they though the gun had been loaded and they told us definitely. There had been 3 murders in that area. Back at happy hour that night we related our story and the whole camp was shook-up. They persuaded us to stay and we did for another month. We were told we were lucky I didn't retaliate because if I would have injured or killed the bandido I could have gone to prison. Napoleonic law states guilty until proven innocent. Except for stories of more drug related killings in the area, the rest of our stay was uneventful and we made it back to Nogales on our own.
We recently received an email from some campers that decided to go back to Esquinapa this year. They say the park is pretty well deserted. I feel sorry for the park owner and the locals who treated us so well in the 2 months we were there. Until they can make it safe for us we will not cross the Mexican border again and neither will many of the travellers we met there.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I just read in some magazine where a couple were out jet skiing and some guys came roaring out there, shot the guy and were firing at the girl as she fled in her jet ski.
No one ever found the guy that was shot and later on, the decapitated head of the police investigator was found dumped not far away.
These guys have no fear and no trip is worth putting your life on the line.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
tellico plains , tn
Mexico....

GOOD GRIEF...........I am panic struck and have not even left yet !!!!!

again my question......what has gone wrong with this world ?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
One rule that we imposed upon ourselves for our many trips out of the country to Mexico, Central America and Europe is that we never take anything with us that we would not be willing to walk away from, because that may be what you have to do. No jewelry for any reason, none. Cheap watches, older clothes, the list goes on. Even our Dune Buggy that we drove through Canada, Alaska, Baja and the Mexican mainland several times was not flashy or fancy in any way.

These trips were mostly in the 80s and 90s before things got really bad.

We still abide by that simple rule when we leave this country, and to some degree when we travel in the good old US of A.

Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
http://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y1_U2XQ0bI
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote