Old 10-23-2015, 09:33 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Thanks. I wondered if it was something like that, but one can subscribe to a thread and get email notifications without posting to it.
Now this is news.... I did not know that.
Thanks

Old 10-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
don't stretch your fuel tank as there are stretches of road where fuel is not available.
Any problems with getting diesel?

Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by graysailor View Post
Lunatic: No real issues taking a trailer down the Baja. About 1,000 mile trip from San Diego all the way down to Cabo San Lucas. The roads are quite unforgiving as there are few pull outs and usually no shoulders. I do not consider the Baja dangerous but the Mexican drivers are terrible although the truck drivers are quite good and polite. On occasion the local police will stop a gringo and for the most part it is just easier to pay them off. Do not give them your license and do not carry all of your money in your wallet. Make it clear that you have very little cash. That way your bribe can be much smaller. There are several RV parks but only a few were appealing. As I said before down by Loreto there are several areas where one can park right on the beach. Don;t drive at night and don't stretch your fuel tank as there are stretches of road where fuel is not available.
This post alone tells me that I want no part of towing in Mexico. I will stick to the boring 48 and leave our southern neighborhood to the more adventurous among us. Best wishes for a safe trip.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:14 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
This post alone tells me that I want no part of towing in Mexico. I will stick to the boring 48 and leave our southern neighborhood to the more adventurous among us. Best wishes for a safe trip.
Don't forget Canada!
We can't promise warm weather in winter, but there's lots to see during the rest of the year.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #33
Rivet Master

Rocky Point is a common destination. It and San Felipe are very close to the border and offer an easy introduction to Mexican travel.
Another slightly more ambitious destination is San Carlos, Sonora. It is 330 miles south of Tucson Arizona and 4 lane all the way Mexican Hwy 15.
There is a top quality (for Mexico) r.v. park and lots of restaurants. It is on the Sea of Cortez so there is beaching and sport fishing. San Carlos is small town and quite scenic. It is proximate to the desert for hiking mountain biking and birding.
It is in the no hassle zone, meaning no permit required for your vehicle but one required for your Airstream. A ten year permit can be acquired for minimal cost and little paper work, bring your title.
When I crossed a few days ago, the car port of entry to Mexico on the U.S. side had a hairpin turn right past the checkpoint, presumably to frustrate would be terrorists. Tire marks on the barricades indicated that over size vehicles made the turn with difficulty. I would take a travel trailer through the truck entrance at the risk of getting lectured by our customs agents.
It is sometimes very confusing where to go. I find the best policy is to stop and block traffic rather than forge ahead and possibly damage your vehicle.
Some official always appears and tells you where to go.
Old 10-24-2015, 03:44 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
We've been camping in Mexico since 1972. San Felipe in the Baja was about far south on that side but Sinaloa on the east side of the Sea of cortez. We have driven around Puerto Vallarta and extensively in Quintana Roo. Never been hassled, bribed, or asked for our license. We have been asked to see our entrance papers at various check points. We can do San Carlos in a day from Tucson and the Toll road is great.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Given that predictions are for a strong El Nino this year a trip later in the spring may be a better bet.

The same authors who wrote "Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping" Mike And Terri Church also wrote "Traveler's Guide to Mexico's Baja" I got both through Amazon for one cent, not counting the 4 bucks for shipping. They are older editions but the Church's have updates on their website.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Stone Mountain , Georgia
I just saw this thread and have not read all of the posts, but we drove to Mexico and Guatemala in 1994 with our truck camper. 11,000 miles in 88 days and it as one of the best trips we have ever taken. Things have changed in 21 years, but if I could convince my wife to do it, I'd go again. We drove around Mexico for two months and one in Guatemala. Some roads and some villages I might think twice about pulling anything larger than a 22' trailer, but if you go to Baja, you should be fine. We have driven a car to Baja in the North and flew to LaPaz and rented a car to drive to Cabo, but I would have done that with an Airstream. Life is too short to fear the unknown, Wally would do it.
Towed by 2006 Dodge Dakota 8 cyl.
Tin Can Tourist
TAC #GA-27
AIR #34930
KAYAKAMPERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:20 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
There is a travel club called VAGABUNDOS DEL MAR that organizes caravans into Baja California. Group travel into Baja is very safe for those participants, and a lot of fun making sure you miss nothing and advising you of the do's and don'ts of Mexican travel. Membership is $35.00 per year and they will help with all permits and licenses (great fishing anyone?). If you are part of a group, you can go off on your own if you feel comfortable or return on your own.
vagabundos.com. info@vagabundos.com. (800) 47-4-BAJA. FAX(707)374-6843
Old 11-07-2015, 09:04 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Personal advice driving in Mexico----
Mexican law requires you to pay fines before you leave country. When dealing with a police officer DON'T TRY TO SPEAK SPANISH (unless it's your native language),let the officer speak his BEST ENGLISH, it will keep you out of trouble.
The police will tell you they will take you to----the police station, the judge, the jail, etc. to try to scare you into offering them -----the fine, a gratuity, a bribe, a favor, etc. ; offer to follow them to the police station, the judge , the jail etc. Many times that is too much work for them and you end up with only their best explanation of what you did wrong and the "wisdom of Mexican law".
BE POLITE NOT CONFRONTATIONAL. You are a visitor in their country.
As several Chiefs of police have said to me. "WHO IS THE CRIMINAL, THE ONE WHO OFFERS A BRIBE OR THE ONE WHO ACCEPTS A BRIBE?
AEW