Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Montgomery , Texas
Mesa Verde National Park

We have reservations for 5 nights at the Morefield CG in Mesa Verde National Park in a few weeks. Has anyone had a recent experience with this CG? We are staying at one of 15 full hookup sites.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We stayed there last August while on a WBCCI Caravan. We were in one of the "no hook up" campsites. However, we found the Morefield facilities to be very good. It is a beautiful spot. Keep an eye open for the critters that wander around.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
It has been some years since we were there, but feel the place is magical. And we enjoyed immensely a dinner at the Far View Lodge.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Make a point to stop at the new visitor center that opened this year. It's right off the highway and will make your visit more meaningful.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Thanks! Never been to that part of Colorado so I am trying to decide if I should keep that reservation or cancel it and stay in Durango. The original intent of the trip was to ride the Durango to Silverton train. I am concerned that driving back and forth to Durango or just around the park might eat up too much of our time. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 07-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
I camped there in a van 4 years ago, spending two nights there in one of the no hookup sites. The pinyon-juniper forest offers some shade. The archaeological sites were fascinating and the views of and from the mesas were impressive. Showers outside the camp store were free and open 24/7 (but NOT 365, I don't believe). We were visiting at the end of the peak season (Labor Day weekend) and caught the last of the pancake breakfasts at the camp store. The evening ranger program was on wolves and coyotes, and was very interesting (it may also have been the last of the season).

It is very capacious and seldom if ever fills up, for which I was grateful. I hadn't reserved campsites or lodging ahead of time, and had been planning to get a motel room whenever I got tired (which turned out to be at 9 PM near Alamosa) but discovered that all the hotel/motels in south-central Colorado were completely booked. Morefield, circa 4.5 hours west when stopping to check for room availability, was no more than half full.
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Merkel , Texas
If it were me I would stay at the CG in the park. Having stayed in that area several times, we prefer staying in the park. Don't feed the mule deer grapes, the rangers don't like it even though the deer do. The area, with all its ruins, has a rather magical aura to it. Though we are from Texas, we have been there many times and never seem to tire of the area. If you get the chance visit other sites such as Hovenweep.
afneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Oh, and before you go, read this:

Amazon.com: House of Rain: Tracking a Vanished Civilization Across the American Southwest eBook: Craig Childs: Kindle Store

Lynn
Old 07-29-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
Congrats on getting a reservation! I'm an interperative Ranger at MEVE and can tell you that full hook-ups are hard to come by. We just had a major monsoon last night, so the campfire ban should be lifted soon. Why would you want to stay in Durango when you could stay in a National Park? You can drive to Durango for the day. You will probably want to stay in the Park for two days. Start the first day off at the museum by watching the video in the auditorium, walking the museum and visiting Spruce Tree House (self guided) when you first arrive. Do the guided tours on Chapin mesa: Cliff Palace in the AM and Balcony House in the PM.
Plan on spending the second day on Wetherill Mesa: guided tour of Long House and self guided tour of Step House. Other relevent day trips from the Park are: Anasazi Cultural Center (BLM), Hovenweep NP and Aztec Ruins NP. Maybe I'll see you on one of my tours!
Ranger Pete!
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Montgomery , Texas
Thanks! How is the drive to the campground from Durango? Steep grades? Paved roads, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #11
Lost in America

2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It's good highway between MV and Durango. They have been repaving so there may be some short delays. There's a grade leaving Durango but nothing steep. The distance between the entrance to MV and Durango is only 35 miles, but the time to drive from the MV entrance to the CG can be a half hour and another 1/2 hour from the CG to the cliff sites. If you plan to ride the train, you need to be there before 8 or 9am depending on which train you take and it doesn't return til 6pm. That may be pushing it if you're camped at MV. You may want to split your stay. United CG is close to Durango.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would recommend the Alpen Rose RV park. It is 2 miles north of Durango on HWY 550.
Nice place; Nice People!
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
ditto on House of Rain, an excellent book. Also on Hovenweep, a wonderful ruin.
Photobum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:49 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
Really depends on personal preference.

Northern Durango area campgrounds are Alpine with cooler climate, rivers, aspen, ponderosa, blue spruce, and mountains. Many attractions, river rafting, train, horseback riding, golf, kayaking, hiking, fishing, etc.

Mesa Verde is desert, small juniper pine, sage, warmer, with cliff dwellings as principle attraction.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari
Tunnel Hill , Georgia
We stayed at Alpen Rose CG in Durango and drove over to Mesa Verda for a visit. The drive from the park entrance to the campgrounds is steep and winding with some switchbacks. The park is well worth a visit.

Remember its not the destination, but rather the journey.... its what's in the middle that matters the most!
Bk Yd Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
A couple of years ago we stayed at the Mesa Verde RV resort and liked it ok. Its just outside the park entrance. Durango didn't seem too far away. We liked the location.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We have stayed at Alpen Rose CG and it too is great. Ouray, CO is a great stop and the mountain drive over to Durango is something to behold, particularly hauling an AS. Durango is a great stop, but Mesa Verde is in a class by itself.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I think the road from Ouray to Durango is called the Million Dollar Highway? Very steep, narrow and switchy. We ended up enjoying it, but there were some moments with our longer rig.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Richmond Hill , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack46 View Post
I think the road from Ouray to Durango is called the Million Dollar Highway? Very steep, narrow and switchy. We ended up enjoying it, but there were some moments with our longer rig.
It is indeed the Million Dollar Highway (cost per foot? View value?; perhaps both) and its one of the most spectacular roads in America but the timid with trailers need not apply. Buddy and I rode it two years ago on motorcycles and a bighorn sheep knocked a boulder down the sheer cliff side, across the road in front of us and then bounded down the cliff right behind it and down the other side. Amazing incline and he was flying...pretty spectacular. Equally amazing was a guy in a Cummings truck who kept up with us....pulling a 25+ foot SOB. Sure see amazing things out on the road.....and yes Mesa Verde is fantastic, we tent camped there and several trailers were around.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
I don't know if it makes a difference to you but Mesa Verde does not allow pets in the park.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote