Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #21
Sam and her wheelman Zeke

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Northern , Illinois
I'm always surprised at the "Chicagoans" that are terrified of the city. It usually turns out they are suburbanites. I grew up in the city, on the dreaded south side so I get a little huffy about it. If you are afraid then don't go. But if you have one ounce of street sense then I'd go if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Another option is the Cook County forest preserve district.
This is a good recommendation. We've been to Camp Reinburg in Palatine and it's okay, no water hook up but sewer (go figure) and only 5 sites. (These are not James Island or Fort DeSoto level campgrounds.) I'd recommend calling because the information on the website is scant and incorrect. It is 3 miles to the train station and about an hour into the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
I guess it just depends on whether you are going for the trailer time or the city time.
Agree 100%. Have fun!

2018 RAM Limited 2500 Diesel 4x4 Crew Cab and RAM boxes
upnorththree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:54 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
This is an option I wasn't aware of! Good to know, although I probably wouldn't use it because I live so close to the city. It is good to know the urban options, as the cities are often a destination when traveling. A list of urban campgrounds would be good to compile. We've stayed at the St Louis RV park when there for a concert and to see family, and we're planning to stay at the Wisconsin State Fairgrounds in Milwaukee soon. Indianapolis has camping at the Indianapolis Sate Fairgrounds, and we've been there. I'll take the Airstream occasionally when on multi-day sales trips, and stayed in Davenport IA and Peoria IL in County campgrounds. Other urban options?
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
We are glad to know about this as a possible option also. I think the location, security, type of neighborhood and directions have been presented well. Since members here on the Forum have used it without any problem it is certainly something we would consider. The cautionary, security and safety advice is would well headed. We also plan to visit major cities when our retirement begins. Knowing about these spots with easy access into exciting cities is a plus. We have several other threads regarding New York City and Washington DC saved for future use and visits.

Mind you we live in an urban area and have lived in other major cities so our comfort level might be different. We would not compromise our safety or security.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #24
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
To each his own, I guess. 1hr 20min + each direction on a commuter train does not sound like fun (even with an app} that's 3 hours of travel per city trip.

I guess it just depends on whether you are going for the trailer time or the city time.
You caught me, Randy. I live in the country and a train ride is as exotic for me as getting my pizza delivered (which we can't here). Or FIOS; Not in my lifetime, I'm sure.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
That would be exciting then, and certainly doable for the time there if for no other reason than the experience and to learn why it is you appreciate the country living..

As to that heat map, I saw that and avoided it, it is from 2012, it's changed a bit since then. Here is a more current one.

Even on your original map, I've added a little more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180516_173416.png
Views:	79
Size:	452.5 KB
ID:	311140  
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
Here's some information.
The second is a map of violent crime, the first from Google Earth.
Someone other would have street information. I'd get off before I-55 turns into Lake Shore drive, right there!
Actually the best way to get to the McCormick RV/Truck staging area for out towners is taking I-55 into Lakeshore Drive south. Take it to the first exit which is 31st street. Make a sharp right into what is the LD frontage road and that will end up at the lot. Very simple and easy and you avoid all city traffic BS.
The ramp SB comming off I-55 onto SB LD has been under construction for a couple of years and has only 1 lane open. However if you time your run in between rush hour you will avoid and lengthy back ups.
I have been biking that section of LD and the harbor areas all the way from Navy Pier to 67th street for the last 35 years and know it like the back of my hand. I would highly recommend it bikers. It takes you past the best sights of the downtown highlights.
PS there is a lot of nonsense posted here about this.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
Actually the best way to get to the McCormick RV/Truck staging area for out towners is taking I-55 into Lakeshore Drive south. Take it to the first exit which is 31st street. Make a sharp right into what is the LD frontage road and that will end up at the lot. Very simple and easy and you avoid all city traffic BS.
The ramp SB comming off I-55 onto SB LD has been under construction for a couple of years and has only 1 lane open. However if you time your run in between rush hour you will avoid and lengthy back ups.
I have been biking that section of LD and the harbor areas all the way from Navy Pier to 67th street for the last 35 years and know it like the back of my hand. I would highly recommend it bikers. It takes you past the best sights of the downtown highlights.
PS there is a lot of nonsense posted here about this.
One thing I forgot to add is that you can drive your pick up on Lake Shore drive. I always use my truck to take the bikes, I 55 to LD North onto Columbus Drive and park it right by the Buckingham Fountain. You can prepay for an extended length of time with a credit card and walk to the Museum Campus, Shedd Aquarium and Millennium Park. You are smack in the middle of it all there.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
Other urban options?
The Airstream couple on YouTube have a video from when they stayed within sight of the Statue of Liberty.

and hey, one of Chicago too:
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:15 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
This is really helpful Frank. I don't worry much about crime.. but how to get there really scares me (smile). This solved that problem.
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Frisco , Texas
We stayed at McCormick Pl for 5 days. No problems. Easy in and out. Uber to get to our daughters, left AS hitched up.
Arnoldter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Grand Rapids , Michigan
Just a follow up. We decided to stay at Dune Park (nice large level sites) and train in. As we passed the lot at McCormick Place we could see 3 RVs and a ton of trucks. We took the 9 am train into town and the 7:10 back which was plenty of time to see an afternoon matinee of the musical "Memphis" (outstanding) and have dinner at Centennial (terrific). Knowing more about directions now, I think I'd consider McCormick Place if I was planning an early morning / late night event in the city or needed to be there for more than a day. Thanks all for your comments! j
Jwestman is offline   Reply With Quote