Old 10-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Tonganoxie , Kansas
Maximum trailer length in National Parks

Has anyone had a problem with a 25 or 27 foot tailer being too long for some of the National Parks out west. We seen somewhere there was a maximum limit for some of the parks.

TWA640316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Fredericksburg , Texas
We went last year to Capital Reef, Canyonlands and Arches. Did not have a problem at any of them. I have a super crew pickup and towed a 27' AS.

Morgan guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
Many park roads are narrow, with steep grades.

You can access campgrounds in Glacier National Park with just about any RV, but driving over the Logan Pass (Going to the Sun Road) is limited to vehicles less than 22 feet long - at least that's my recollection. It's more fun to park the Airstream and drive solo over the pass anyway.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Road Geezer

2011 27' FB Flying Cloud
San Jose , California
We tow our 27' FC with a Suburban and have never had a problem with length in any CA state or national park in the almost two years we've been "streaming." Worst case, if you get turned away, just find a local private or FS campground.
As far as I know, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Road Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
I just camped at Crater Lake National Park in my 27FB. There was plenty of room for the trailer and my Silverado 2500HD crew cab in the camp site. The only problem I had was tree branches that brushed the side of the trailer getting into the site.
"The bad news: there is no key to the universe.
The good news: it was never locked."
Swami Beyondananda
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Never any problem with our 25'er

Sometimes you have to be a little creative with the tow vehicle..

This was in the Grand Tetons at Signal Mtn.

We have had tight ones in both Glacier and Olympic, but no issues. Most likely would have been fine with 27 feet in all of them.
Our Adventure..
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Many NP campgrounds cite a limit of 24'. There is generally no policing of this - if you can fit you can stay. There will be fewer site choices for longer units, but I've seen a number of 27 footers in the 'roadside pull-through' sites. If you disconnect and move your TV you can manage more sites. Our 23FB connected to our Jeep GC has been a good but tight fit in many 'back-in' NP sites, yet I've had to disconnect to get my nose out of the road a number of times. This was a primary factor for us in choosing the size - we visit a lot of NP, FS and BLM sites. The NP reservation service, where it is used, will show the sites suitable for your size unit.
Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
You can also access any national park via the website to find out what size RV or trailer a site will take and the amenities provided. Often it will give you a picture of the site.
urnmor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:32 AM   #9
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We have a 30'er and have found some sites that would have been too small and some that are a little tight. There seems to be no enforcement where these limitations are posted just good judgement in choosing your site and locating your trailer on the site. We visited Glacier NP back in August and several Nat. Forest campgrounds along the way. Never had a problem.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #10
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
National Parks and Forest Service campgrounds don't always have the same standards. Within the San Juan National Forest there are several different size standards for RV camp sites, depending on the campground. More and more NFS districts are discouraging dispersed RV camping due to the damage caused by over use.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:01 AM   #11

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
This question has been around the block a time or two...

We have drug our 34' all over the place and have not had a problem. Granted we haven't been EVERYWHERE and yes, there are some sites we won't fit into but in general, we have stayed at every National Park we wanted too.

Here is some reading material...
Hi Ho Silver RV! Vernon, Sarah, Mac the Border Collie -
A honkin' long 34' named AlumaTherapy
and a 26' '63 Overlander, Dolly
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
You shouldn't have "much" trouble with a 25 footer. I am the type that likes to reserve before I go so I will know if the site is large enough or not before getting there. Now that we are retired we go in the off season without reservations and have found a number of sites that were too small for our setup. The longer the trailer, the more problem you will have but that doesn't mean you can't go into the national or state parks. Just remember that, especially in the older parks, there will be some that are too small.

As far as an earlier poster mentioned, you CANNOT pull a trailer, of any length, over the Going To The Sun road in Glacier any longer. A number of years ago they started to limit the widths, then the lengths and now they are banned all together. There were just too many problems caused up on the pass.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I think it really depends upon the park, and how many long sites or pull-throughs they have. Most will have some, but the smaller RV units probably have more sites available to them. Many NPS campgrounds were developed a long time ago (like during the CCC-era), when the average RV was smaller. If the campground takes reservations, they will ask how long your unit is, and try to fit you in accordingly.

In addition to the Going-to-the-Sun road in Glacier NP, the Zion NP tunnel in Utah has some size restrictions, and charges most RVs a fee for using it.

Most cramped-looking sites we saw in 2012: Natural Bridges NM in Utah.

Largest sites, ample for monster RVs: Lake Louise CG in Banff NP.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Tip: Natural Bridges NP Camping

[QUOTE=Len n Jeanne;1214318

Most cramped-looking sites we saw in 2012: Natural Bridges NM in Utah.
Largest sites, ample for monster RVs: Lake Louise CG in Banff NP.[/QUOTE]

Since you mentioned Natural Bridges NP, which we like very much, I'd mention the 'overflow' camping on BLM land at Deer Flats Road, just outside the park. The gravel road has a grade, but is quite easy to negotiate to some beautiful free sites.

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote