Old 06-09-2015, 04:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Why go to all that trouble?. That is making a vacation trip into a job, like mine load time, travel time, unload , fuel , eat back to load. When we go we go, stop when we want, it is a vacation not a job....

tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Find the balance that is right for you..

I like to plan places, destinations. and routes. Timing…not so much.
I have heard many times how people missed this or that because they had to be somewhere.

Another thing is that it just takes one deviation, or unforeseen delay to throw a monkey wrench into your itinerary. You may be up to more driving one day, or feel safer taking it slower one day.

I understand not wanting to find yourself with no where to spend the night.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
2007 27' Classic FB
Tupper Lake , New York
I've been doing trip planning for 13 years. My husband & I have visited all of the lower 48 states. I used our AAA Tour Books for all states; highlighting what we wanted to see. When it came to campgrounds, we seldom made reservations unless it was close to a popular spot. We found that if you pull into a campground by 2-3 pm, sites are open. We have found many nice, reasonable state parks. When demand is low, we'll use our Passport America membership & get half price rates. Last of all, we use the Trailer Life Directory. I avoid KOA because they typically are high priced. Other great tips are use for the lowest gas/diesel prices & don't drive beyond the point of being tired; it often results in being tense with each other. Hope this has been helpful.
Diesel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 04:43 AM   #18
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
If you keep your propane filled, fresh water supply up, and holding tanks with at least some space, you can find a spot somewhere to pull in for the night, if an actual campsite proves unavailable........noting your 30' trailer.

The flexibility and freedom of this type of travel is an amazing feeling.....having your self contained little house on wheels, everything you need right with you.

We have stayed the night in WalMart parking lots more than once, but not routinely, and consider pulling in to restock, sleep and move on simply that....not "camping" at WalMart.

When it is very hot, or very cold, we like electricity.....but have done without in both, and lived to tell the tale.

Not caring much for "cold calls" at campgrounds, we like to call ahead and make sure there is something available. You never know when a campground might have been flooded, hit by a tornado, or had a major electrical outage that essentially closes them down.

If we know we are going to stay someplace a few days or longer, we have learned that researching reviews a bit is well worth the time. Not as important when you are passing thru and just want a spot for the night.

Be prepared, too, for some campgrounds being 4 stars and others being 1-2 stars. They are not all created equal, and we found it just didn't matter much as long as we had the water, electric and a dump station..

If the basics are there, but the surroundings less than visually appealing, close your blinds and enjoy your beautiful home away from home.

You are passing thru, not moving in.

I do believe that traveling comfortably, but with flexibility, is part of the learning curve, so don't try to have it all figured out at once. Decide what you must have, and build around that.

If you don't have to have 3-5 point hookups each night, the road is basically yours. And, the best way to travel, in my opinion.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
To help you make decisions on the fly you might find a GPS Point of Interest website to be very helpful. You can download any number and variety of specific POI categories.

The POI factory is one example: POI Factory | new & interesting places for your GPS

We've got punched into our own GPS a range of camprounds (i.e. Good Sam, National Parks, State Parks), highway Rest Stops, Walmarts, Attractions, Tim Hortons, Canadian Tire and others.

If you haven't already done so then it is well worth your time to browse through the kinds of very specific categorized POI services and locations that are available - there are an incredible number.

Bambi - 2002 (The Toaster)
Pathfinder - 2009 (The Buggy)

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote