Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
Refugee from Napa, CA

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Formerly Napa , On the road
Map software question

Next week I take possession of my brand new 2015 FC 25 FB and my first destination is Nashville, from Lakewood NJ. I have been trying to figure out a route avoiding interstate highways using either map quest or google maps and am dissatisfied with both options.

Is there software out there that avoids major highways and provides decent campground or boon docking info?

If there is not, should not someone be writing this? I would pay for it...
Old 08-09-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
When I use 'onstar', I give them a destination... the 'via' points and ask them "route me around metro areas and NO INTERSTATES... They are glad to help.

On my Garmin I can 'exclude' TOLL, interstates, etc.. I also have their map tool on my pc and can easily 'drag' lines around the nasty areas... a bit out of the way, but much less stress... Then I save the 'route' and download to the GPS..

Your experience will vary...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
my experience is that the fastest way to figure that out is with an old fashioned map atlas. You get a better sense of all the options. then plot on a map program.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use Google maps, check the "no tolls" & "no highways" options and then drag it around to suit myself. Campgrounds are a separate search.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I would embrace the interstates for that trip. Interstate 80 down through VA is a beautiful road. I 40 is the only reasonable way to go east and west in TN.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1949 22' Liner
Cincinnati , Ohio
I'll second the suggestion of using Google Maps. It is the best for manipulating the route directly. I'll also add that you may find that a combination of non-interstates in the northeast and interstates once you're further south/west will work well for you. The interstates are generally less crowded once you're away from the DC-NYC-Boston corridor (except in the immediate vicinity of major cities) and in the mountainous areas often have easier grades than you'd otherwise have to face.

I totally understand not wanting to face congested interstates towing, though. My first time towing was from Kansas to Ohio, and the interstates worked well for me, but I was a bit nervous in the more congested stretches near Kansas City and Indianapolis. Due to time of day, I was able to make it past St. Louis with little traffic. I wouldn't even want to contemplate towing along some of the routes in the northeast (or near Chicago, for that matter).
TheOhioSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
If you're a Good Sam Club member, their Online Trip Planner is a great tool. It has no toll and no Highway options. It is RV friendly and also lists campgrounds and other POI's along the route.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote