Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2008, 06:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
San Antonio , Texas
Manitoulin Island, Ontario, Canada

Anyone visited Manitoulin Island (Lake Huron) in Ontario Canada? We are planning to travel around Lake Superior in August of 2009, then perhaps take the long bridge to Manitoulin Island. Anyone have information about places to visit, sites to see, camp?
TIA
Victoria/Joseph
2006 30'Classic
2Tex4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Yes we have been there twice in the last 5 years. Very relaxing place. There is no long bridge. Getting to the Island from the North is a short bridge about 200' long and from the South you can take a 2hr ferry ride that I think is great.

15 minutes from the north bridge is a nice park called Batmans. Get a site by the water and relax. On the south side of the Island there is a Park called Providence Bay. The beach there is white sand and very nice.

This is a place to relax.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
We have been annually going to Manitoulin Island for years, the last several with the Airstream (although we missed 2008, but hope to get back there next year). We like going there because it gets us far away from the normal hustle and bustle of work life in the big city (there are no traffic lights and no chain fast food anywhere on the island). That plus Lorrie has relatives there.

There are probably over two dozen campgrounds around the island and many sights to see, but it is a laid back place and things are a bit spread out as the island is over 100 miles long. The scenery is awsome and varied from place to place. There are dozens of lakes on the islands, some of them big enough to have islands themselves. Most camprounds are situated on water - either one of the "inland" lakes or on the Lake Huron shoreline itself.

The only two campgrounds we have stayed at so far are:
- Oakes Campground and Cottages on Lake Mindemoya (small mom & pop type place with just a few camp sites)
- Mike's Campground on Lake Kagawong (most of my rotating avatar photo's were taken at Mike's)

We enjoyed both campgrounds and have and would again return to both. We have heard good things about Batman's, but have never been there. You will find most campgrounds are a bit more rustic than many in the USA. Due to old infrastructure (i.e. wiring), use of A/C in your Airstream may be prohibited, or at least watch the voltage if you do use the A/C.

The most modern family oriented (and most expensive) campground is Santa Maria on the south side of the island. It is on the big water - Lake Huron.

Many of the camprgrounds have web sites, as do several other attractions. I don't have time right now, but maybe another time I can post some links.

Good luck with your decision!
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Wikwemikong , Ontario
Manitoulin Island

Hey there! I've lived on Manitoulin for several years now and my wife is origionally from here. Check out the web site at www.OurManitoulin.com for lots of ideas of places to stay and things to do. I generally recommend www.gordonspark.com but Batman's is nice as well as many others. Let me know when you're getting here and I'll buy you a coffee!
mdewing is offline   Reply With Quote