Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Mammoth Lakes - New Shady Rest Campgroun (or Trial and tribulations)

Well, I'm back This is my second trip in my (still new) AS/25 TT. This was the test to see if my truck and Trailer could make it through the desert and up the mountains!

Suni (my other half) and I spent a week in the ski-resort of Mammoth Lakes, California during the summer. In the past we usually stay at a condo. But, with the purchase of my new AS/25 TT this was the first time we would be "bonedocking" it with the rest of the family at the campsite.

In the Los Ageles vacinity you either leave very early or very late to get out of town. So, we left at 3:15 am on Thursday to commence our trip through the Mohavi desert (hottest desert in USA ) in the early morning.

My first mistake was going through downtown Los Angeles on the I-5 freeway. Being that I had never driven through town with the TT, I was not aware of the humogus potholes there. If you want to test your suspension system, take this route.

By 5:30 a.m the tempeture in Palmdale, CA was 85 degrees.

I'm towing uphile from I-5 to the 14 freeway all the way to Bishup. At the midpoint in the desert it was about 90-95 degrees mid morning. stoped a few times to gas up (going uphill does "suck" up the gas!). Pulled into the first rest area and decided to check out the inside of the trailer. Sure enough, the drawers were on the floor and stuff all over. I'll assume it was the damn potholes in L.A.

The trip up was uneventfull. But the test for me was going up the 6% grade from Bishup to Mammoth mountain. I wasn't able to go 75 mph like those superduper V20's with a little 15 ft weekender but, we made it.

It was worth the trip. Pulled in around 11:30 and the weather was beautiful as well as the scenary. Because we got there a day ahead of the crowd we basically had the place to ourselves. It rained a little but it was ok, cause it cleaned the dust off the picnic tables and the dust off the ground.
Tempertures during the day averaged 80 degrees and nights at 50.

Coming home was a bit dangerous. When pulling a trailer, you all know that you have to be 100% aware of your surroundings!

Had I not been looking far enough ahead I could have slammed into a four car pileup. the scary part was that there were two tracktor/trailers behind me going downhill.

When through downtown L.A. during the rush home hour (3:30pm).

Here again, rough roads.

All in all, It was a fairly good trip.

Oh, for you guys that heard about me losing my sewer hose in the ealier thread, After posting what I thought I lost on the trip back home, ended up that my sewer hose and cap to the tube were stolen. Left my TT out over the night in front of the house to wash it the next day. It appears that someone had a greater need for my sewer hose and tube cap. When I was washing the TT I noted they were gone!

Of course, I told my brother about the incident and all he did was laugh. I asked him why he was laughing, He stated that even if I found what I thought was my hose, how would I know it's mine? :?

(You figure out the answer on this) LOL.

Anyway, that's the trial and tribulations of Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Your Pull Vehicle?

Rick: What are you using to pull your toy?

Iver
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Good for you, Rick. I think it is the adventures that give us the memories we look back upon most fondly. Glad you're enjoying your new Safari.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #4
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
HI Iver

I'm pulling the Safari with a 05 Dodge Dakota 4.7L (or in American terms 285 V8)

I have Gibson Cut-Back Exhaust, Jet Computer Chip enhancement (more torque), K&N Air Filter (waiting for the cold-air induction System to come out). and I'm running all synthetics in both Oil and transmission (AMsOil).

I truly believe had I not made these upgrades I would have overheated in the desert. Other then that the truck road really well, As I stated in my last post. Had I known that we were going to get an Airstream, I would have gotten a bigger truck. But, it does the job. As I said, If it can go up to Mammoth Lakes, CA. It can go just about anywhere.

I also use the truck to and from work.

Best regards,

Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Curious

I am working on getting my streamer and would like to know where you got yours since you live not far from me. Tell me how you feel about the dealer and svs., etc.
With your engine / tranny modifications did you add gages (like pyro/boost/tranny temp ? How was it going down hill since you have plenty of power for going up (although short wheel base)?
Took not of your pot hole comments through LA.
Regards,
Iver the anxious.
Iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I enjoyed the story about your trip. Sounds like if it was that much trouble to get in and out of LA, I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to use my AS very often! Glad you had a safe trip and had a good time.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote