Old 02-08-2016, 01:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Mammoth Cave Kentucky and Grand Ole Opry

On our way soon, to Kentucky and Tennessee. I'm researching good campgrounds for both places. Any suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Nancie

Old 02-08-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Barrie , Ontario
Singing Hills RV Park, located right on Mammoth Cave Rd. This is a small family operated campground. Not fancy but quiet and has a fishing pond on site. They also honor Passport America (you do have Passport America ??)so it is quite reasonably priced at around $16 a night. Has 3 way hookups as well as a dump station. We always stop there on our yearly migration from Ontario to Texas, wonderful folks that own this park. Not fancy but a great place to overnight or spend a few days.

Walt

Old 02-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Music Valley Drive is very close to the Opry & has three campgrounds, a camping world, a couple RV dealerships and restaurants. We always stay at Yogi Bear CG for our stays as all the sites are level, clean & pull through. The KOA has a couple streets up front with beautiful paved landscaped sites at a premium price.
TAC FL-47
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Camp Site

There is a campground at/in Mammoth Cave park. As you approach the campground check-in building, directly on the right side, there are 3 or 4 camp site that have at least water and electrical connections. These sites are not listed on Reserve America (last time I checked). Staying at the campground makes it easier to enjoy the park.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
We are not typically KOA type folks but have never been disappointed with the KOA in Nashville - their entertainment is what you'd expect of Nashville - very enjoyable, professional and free - they will also arrange whatever tickets you might need elsewhere in town. Don't just limit yourself to the Grande Ole Oprey - the General Jackson Showboat is a great dinner cruise and entertainment package.

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
The three campgrounds on Music Valley drive are very convenient to the Opry, The Opry Mills Mall and the amazing hotel - you could even ride a bike or walk in a pinch.

We have stayed several times at one of the other ones - not the KOA - and been completely happy with it - they all look very similar. I have walked through the others.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I spent a few days at the KOA in Nashville. Got a military special package deal that included camping, two shows at the Opry and shuttles.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
There is a campground at/in Mammoth Cave park. As you approach the campground check-in building, directly on the right side, there are 3 or 4 camp site that have at least water and electrical connections. These sites are not listed on Reserve America (last time I checked). Staying at the campground makes it easier to enjoy the park.
I'm pretty sure it's just 2 sites right at the entrance and they are usually taken. I don't think you can reserve them, just walkups.

The rest of the Federal park is boon docking. We stayed there a couple of days in 2014. There's lots of shade but the bathroom near us was pretty small, I don't recall a shower in that one. It's pretty basic inside the park.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
A couple of alternatives

If you are not up for boondocking at Mammoth Cave (the campsites are beautifully wooded with tall trees, but not everyone is set up to be off the grid) there are the aforementioned campgrounds, or if you want to have a little more to do when you are not in the park, the KOA in Bowling Green, which is about a 25 minute drive, is one of the best run and cleanest KOA's we have been to, plus Bowling Green offers some interesting shops downtown, has the Corvette Museum and a great Shaker Village at South Union about 20 minutes SW of Bowling Green.

As for Nashville, if you are going after March 31, i would highly recommend the COE campground at Seven Points on J. Priestly Percy Lake. Its about 20 minutes from downtown Nashville and the approach is through a suburban setting, but once you are in the campground you would think you are miles away from civilization. We visit Nashville and Bowling Green often and
Seven Points is a great campground, just wish it was open year round.

If you like park settings, you can also check out Cedars of Lebanon State Park about 30 minute east of Nashville, just south of Lebanon. Very nice park, really good campsites. The only caution is that the landscape timbers they have used in the campsites can be VERY slick when wet, so watch where you step.

And by all means, do the Country Music Hall of Fame, if you haven't....it's pretty amazing.

Dana
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

@walt I will check out singing hills. Sounds quiet.
@chief real nice of the KOA to give military discounts. Thanks for your service.
@dana those excursions you mentioned sound good. Will deff look into doing some of those.
@everyone thanks for the replies. I appreciate your time.
Nancie