Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Maine's Overnight Parking Ban Proposal

It is so sad to see Maine commit economic suicide, one foolish move after another.
The tolls have gone through the roof, inumerable restrictive business regulations, the taxes keep going up and now this:
Maine may ban RVs from overnight parking lots
Campgrounds are often unaffordable, brief stops could be illegal.
The state is losing revenus, go figure, many people are broke or not pissing their money away, so no stopping when tired. Get a room.
Maine legislature: Wake Up!
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Unhappy Overnighting

When I travel, I plan on boondocking those nights between points of interest. I actually plan my routes based on friendly locations that cater to the overnighter. The wonderful small towns of the center of our great nation, Kansas and Nebraska are good examples. Many town parks are free or ask for a donation to help keep the park up. The local merchants welcome RV'ers. I make it a point to have a meal, fill up with gas, visit the grocery when needed.

I guess I'll avoid Maine this fall. As I remember it from last visit, they don't go out of their way to welcome visitors. It's a shame as I like Cadillac Mountain. Of course, It's only about 200 miles from New Hampshire to Acadia national Park. I guess I better make reservations cause I'd sure hate to get stuck outside the park without a place to park.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Northern New England
Missing the forest for the trees, in my opinion.

Quote from Rep. Anne Perry, sponsor of the proposal—(excerpted from the Kennebec Journal article):

She wants RVers to feel welcome in Maine, she said. But if RVers avoid the state because they aren’t allowed to park for free, that’s not a great loss.
“If they are parking one night in parking lots, they are not staying in Maine,” she said. “They are driving through.”
Air2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
This state thrives on tourism; that the Maine legislature is contemplating reducing the number of potential visitors is unbelievable.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm. We have never camped in Maine, but are headed there this fall for the first time in an RV.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Just another example of people willing to give up their rights to control or take away the rights of others.

Had a young Russian fellow tell me once, "You people are not as free as you think you are".
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air2Go View Post
“If they are parking one night in parking lots, they are not staying in Maine,” she said. “They are driving through.”
Is this woman from or schooled in New Jersey? I doubt she could have come to that level of ignorance any other way. Remember Jersey usually outlaws everything first, but they have missed this one so far.

Those of us that are self contained, trailers and motor homes, did not all buy our rigs to park in a campground and use the swimming pool every night. I often park free over night and spend the following day spending money locally. Even when I park free in a Wal Mart, Flying J, or Cracker Barrel I often spend more than a camping fee on supplies.

Maine is not that big a state that I can't traverse it in a day. Besides there is a nice Cracker Barrel just south of it and several greats spot just into Canada.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Wouldn't this exclude all Federal parks, forests,... If so then isn't boondocking allowed?

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
I lived in Maine for a couple of years; talk about shortsighted people.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Freeport , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Wouldn't this exclude all Federal parks, forests,... If so then isn't boondocking allowed?

Carol
problem is, there is only one National Park in Maine,....and no Federal Forests, unless you count that acre over near Bethel.
SilverAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
South Berwick , Maine
As a resident of Maine, I sent of an email to my representative urging them to vote no
Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Stand by folks. The legislature votes and the people overturn the vote! It's an unbelievably stupid way to run the State - but it's becoming common practice. Why we can't simply vote the offending idiots out of office is a mystery to me. There are two Maines - the one South of Augusta and the one to the North. There is always a lot of disagreement between the two but, in general, a lot of the problems seem to start in the South.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
This is already a law in place like this in Florida. The RV park owners pushed that one through, it is the reason you aren't supposed to spend the night in a Walmart, Cracker Barrel, or Flying J in Florida. Spending more than a couple of hours in a rest area is illegal in Florida, too.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #14
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I would say Courtsey parking will more important than ever!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Of the dozen or so Maine State Parks, only one appears to be free for dry camping. There are 2 campgrounds at Acadia National Park, neither of which, I believe, is free. In theory, one could boondock on any private land where the owner has given permission; in Maine, much of the forest land is owned by the federal government and then leased to private timber companies.

I think the real intent of this proposed law is to simply foreclose the "Wal-Mart" option for RV'ers while they are in Maine—indeed, the article Rob posted essentially confirms this. This law would allow a protected market for the owners of private campgrounds who say they are losing money, which has been a sore point in many municipalities around the country. Maine proposes to be the first state to outlaw overnight parking of this type on a statewide basis.

But I disagree with the sponsoring lawmaker's reasoning in this. RV'ers who really are just "passing through" Maine now, simply park at one of the service plazas situated along the turnpike. In fact, because there is a toll charge to re-enter the turnpike (in addition to the toll you pay upon entering the state), by far, the most economical option is to not leave the turnpike if you are just on your way home; the large number of Canadian license plates on RVs often parked at the plazas would seem to confirm this.

Unfortunately, what may happen is that Maine ends up offending or otherwise dissuading visitation by imposing so many incremental fees—which add up very quickly. It's a sign of the times: The state has recently offered "amnesty" to residents who have purchased items in nearby (no-sales-tax) New Hampshire, thereby avoiding tax on the same purchase in Maine; As Rob mentioned, the toll charges have recently been increased, and I have personally witnessed what can only politely be described as "an alarming increase in speed-trap activity."

Having said all that, I hope the legislature comes to its senses and rejects this bill; Maine is an incomparably beautiful place—especially in the fall, Doug and Maggie.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Well, I guess I can add Maine to the list of states that won't get checked off on the map that hangs in my Trade Wind. If they don't want me there, I sure as hell don't want to go.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Morons.

What do they think RVers do when they are awake? I'll tell you - they spend lots of money - at local grocery stores, clothing stores, fuel stations, tourist destinations, auto repair shops, camping supply stores, tire shops, etc. etc.

I have spent a lot of time in Maine, camped in several places (Baxter State Park is a favorite backpacking destination) - but if this goes through, I can always find other places to spend my money while I'm awake and avoid being hassled when I try to sleep.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
This explains why the "official state fabric" of Maine is

fleece.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi View Post
I would say Courtsey parking will more important than ever!
Tire shops are the best. In twenty five years, we've never been been bothered by police or owners wherever we pulled over. Why stay at a KOA or any other campground if we don't need anything but a good sleep?
That's the cool thing about Airstreams; the mistique works.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Exclamation Email to friendly Maine State Senator

This is an email to my Maine senator.

I am writing in hope that you will vote against this legislation. As an avid traveler and travel trailer owner we have camped all over the county and Maine. 98% of the time we stay at campgrounds, but on occasion it is not possible to get to a campground before check in time or they are long distances from our direction of travel. Many times during high season campgrounds are full or discourage only one night visitors.

When we have to stop at a wal-mart etc. we still shop for supplies, fuel up and have a safer environment then a highway rest stop.
The travel and camping forums are buzzing about this proposed law and they are labeling Maine as tourist camper unfriendly. I am a member of the Airstream Club that has 6000 members Country wide and we often plan events in Maine. While travelling long distances it is sometimes logistically impossible to get to the State, Federal or private campgrounds safely in the driving time required. Tired drivers in RV's would be a side effect of this bill if pasted. If this bill passes, Private campground owners in a few locations would benefit, but 10,000 visitors to Maine could be welcomed with a tap on their door on a private parking lot by a police officer that could be doing much more important work.
Please vote against this bill for us.
Sincerely
WGC in VacationLand

Others that feel strongly about this bill should email Maine legislators.
Your state May be next. tap, tap tap.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote