Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #41
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Come Over Here

Panama City Beach Walmart have people stay for about a week and then leave.Then again when the summer is here or we have a big festival or bike week and things like that there could be about 8 or more of the 40 footers with there 28 foot trailer on the back and they would stay for several days in the parking lot.
Luckily this is a tourist town and the campgrounds are sometime completely booked so walmart is there best bet until there opening pops up.

I do know in St Augustine they have a no parking rule at there walmart.It is city law.I can understand why though.There parking lot is always full of shoppers and it is kinda tight to get in there with a camper.There are places to overnight at but you just have to know where to go.Fortunantly I dont have to worry about that.I have some good friends there that would let us hook up if needed.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Does the American Legion or VFW offer overnight parking?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:31 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1956 26' Cruiser/Overlander
1967 17' Caravel
Newport , New Hampshire
O.K., once again I wasn't going to say anything, but this time I will! In fact I will cross post! So, check it out: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f382...tml#post697731

Once upon a time camping was camping. You could pull into a campground in the early afternoon having no idea where you are and you could find a place to camp for a night or two. Now most "campgrounds" are mostly permanent and/or seasonal sites with few real camp sites unless you have a reservation. No real "adventure" there. Now they feel threatened by others who welcome us to park for one lousy night???

Try to find a place to park and snooze for the night after a "Sorry, No Vacancy" campground rejects you... good luck!

For the past ten years or so, campgrounds suddenly feel threatened by private businesses who allow RVers to stay overnight? They want government to pass laws and restrict such practices? Hey! Take a hike! As G. Gordon Liddy once said, "I Use To Live In A Free Country!"

It's a long way from one corner of
Maine to the other. If anyone is willing to let me sleep in their yard or parking lot as I ping-pong from from point to point, that is between me and the yard/parking lot owner. The bureaucrats can TAKE A HIKE!!!

"Reality Is The Leading Cause Of Stress"
"There are only five great men in the world and three of them are hamburgers."
rgesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:45 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Regarding Florida -- to the best of my knowledge the only state statute is the one restricting overnight parking in rest areas on the turnpike and interstates.

I do know that Monroe County (the Keys) severely restricts RV parking. If you are not in a campground (public or private), chances are you will be cited and sent on your way. Even if a store/mall/restaurant gives you permission, you will still be in violation.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:44 AM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There appears to be county ordinance in Mesa Co., Colorado, against overnight parking as it is banned in the Walmart on the west side of Grand Junction. I believe that Walmart is actually just outside of the city limits. There are no private campgrounds in the city, but at least 2 in the county, one of which appears to be almost always full with long term campers (presumably oil and gas workers which fill a lot of campgrounds all the way east to Glenwood Springs).

There seems to be no economic justification for such a law because the oil and gas workers take many of the spaces. In the winter in Colorado (and elsewhere) many private and public campgrounds are closed for the season and there are few places to stop. State parks are open all year, but not always where long distance travelers are going.

It's interesting to me to ponder the political causes served by these bans. Some businesses (private campgrounds) want to limit competition; some businesses like free camping because it attracts sales. Some people are concerned with health problems (mainly dumping water) and may be of a different political persuasion to business owners, or they maybe using health issues as an excuse for another agenda. All sides of the political spectrum seem to have people who when faced with a problem want to ban everything in sight; it's so much easier that way.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:31 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There appears to be county ordinance in Mesa Co., Colorado, against overnight parking as it is banned in the Walmart on the west side of Grand Junction. I believe that Walmart is actually just outside of the city limits. There are no private campgrounds in the city, but at least 2 in the county, one of which appears to be almost always full with long term campers (presumably oil and gas workers which fill a lot of campgrounds all the way east to Glenwood Springs)....
Gene
Or it could be just the manager. I can see that coming at our Taos Walmart, by the way. There have been two older RVs down there for the last two months, both coming and going on a daily basis. I can't tell on second one, but the one has no sanitary facilities, so the fellow must be using Walmart's bathroom.

How would I know all this, living 23 miles away? Oh, remember that my spouse was visiting her elderly mom in Europe, so I got the MG out and rationalized myself a trip through the mountains to Taos and back just about every day! It was a gas!

Lynn
Old 05-15-2009, 08:08 AM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Or it could be just the manager.

I got the MG out and rationalized myself a trip through the mountains to Taos and back just about every day! It was a gas!

Lynn
As for the Grand Junction Walmart, they have a sign posted that appears to indicate an ordinance.

As for the MG, I know that road and driving it in a sports car has to be great fun. See you soon.

Gene
Old 05-15-2009, 09:04 AM   #48
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
As for the Grand Junction Walmart, they have a sign posted that appears to indicate an ordinance.

As for the MG, I know that road and driving it in a sports car has to be great fun. See you soon.

Gene
Ah, ordinance then. Dummies. Especially in a countryside like the west slope, literally dotted with public lands.

Actually, I do wonder what role, if any at all, pressure from working groups plays. For example, we get a lot of demand here to house groups of itinerant workers with multiple rigs, and we turn them down every time. Out of sight, out of mind ... but what I haven't ever considered is where these people go after we turn them down.

On the MG, I wrote that it WAS a gas. Past tense. No further comment.

Lynn
Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 PM   #49
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
but what I haven't ever considered is where these people go after we turn them down.

On the MG, I wrote that it WAS a gas. Past tense. No further comment.

Lynn
On the western slope between oil and gas and building booms, some workers go to campgrounds, providing winter business for them and reliable income year 'round. Others go to public lands and play cat and mouse with the ranger after 2 weeks or so. The fact is in a lot of places there is hardly any housing, affordable or available for not only blue collar workers, but for teachers, cops, lawyers and anyone in the middle class. People have been talking about affordable housing for decades and every once in a while, they have a small project to allay guilt, but nothing meaningful is happening. The building boom is over and oil and gas is rapidly declining (less demand plus new finds elsewhere easier to drill), so more spaces in campgrounds are probably available.

Sorry to hear about the past tense MG.

We have departed from Maine and free camping spots except to say there are places where there is a real need for the overflow when campgrounds are unavailable. This is different from people wishing to save some money when traveling. Both seem to me to be legitimate needs. It may hurt some campgrounds, but using gov't power to support them is risky business. Amongst the professions it's called title protection—thus doctors oppose nurses giving primary care even if there are no doctors available and lawyers oppose realtors writing sale contracts even if people can't afford a lawyer (though I've seen some really botched jobs by realtors [and lawyers too]). It's hard to balance between protecting the public and protecting only the business from competition.

Gene
Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I have to agree on the use of private parking facilities (WallyWorld, etc.). This kind of restriction doesn't serve the public at large and just makes RVers mad. Duh.

Lynn

PS: The MG is still present tense, but the ability to rationalize a trip nearly every day is gone. My wife is back home.