Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2017, 11:17 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Bothell , Washington
Maine to Jackson Center, Ohio.

We have 3 weeks to get to Jackson Center. Looking for any recommendations on routes and must see areas and campgrounds. We like open skies, biking and kayaking.

Thanks.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
What time of year are you planning to travel? The advice will vary quite a bit IMO, depending . . .

In general, for that route I would consider going to the Adirondacks in northern NY, weather permitting, and Letchworth State Park in western NY (often dubbed the Grand Canyon of the east).

For more touristy stops, you might consider Corning Glass Works in Binghamton, and Niagara Falls if you haven't been to those places.

Let us know your departure time, and the suggestions may be more helpful. For instance, after schools are back in session, but before cold weather comes in, a more northerly route could be rewarding including leaf peeping.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If you end up on RT 80, stay at Pennwood Airstream Park in PA as your last stop before JC.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Vineyards and Wineries in the Finger Lakes area. Too many to visit them all...
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 PM   #5
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well let's see I enjoyed pretty much everywhere in vermont and I went to the Ben & Jerry's factory which was pretty good and then I really like old forge and those towns on the New York hwy 28 and Niagra Falls was real interesting. Also ya got 2 great lakes, Erie and Ontario with lotsa real nice towns all the way. You could make a real nice loop goin from the north on the way there through Vermont and New York and along the lakes down into Jackson and then loop back through Pennsylvania Dutch country and up through all the old sites and coast towns in Connecticut and Massachusetts and new hampshire. I enjoyed the areas around Salem and Newburyport and that area.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:57 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
charlesk,

The list will be long as you travel through some beautiful country. I'll add Mt. Washington and Franconia Notch in New Hampshire and Ricketts Glen State Park in Pennsylvania, even though they don't really get you on your bikes or in your kayaks. For open skies, there is a dark sky preserve at Cherry Springs State Park in Pennsylvania. It's boondocking, but, if you have any type of viewing device, camera on a tripod, telescope, probably even binoculars, you can park the Airstream on the side of the viewing field, tumble out the door and see the Milky Way. (Red lighting only on the field, however, so you'd need a red lense for your flashlight.)

Enjoy your trip,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 06:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2024 25' Trade Wind
Bothell , Washington
Thank you.

We'll be heading out next Monday. We've been enjoying several beautiful weeks in Maine.

Thank you for all of the great recommendations. Coming to Maine we spent several weeks in the Finger Lakes, Niagara and Vermont areas. Completely agree with all of the recommendations in that region.

Looks like we'll drop south from Acadia and then head across Penn. on towards Jackson Center. Completely forgot about the AS Park in Penn.

Thanks all and safe journeys.
charlesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:20 AM   #8
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Well I'm gonna sound like I'm obsessed with sweets but the Hershey factory was kinda fun to visit, too.

But if I were ya I'd avoid 76 entirely and try to stay a lil north and see some of Susquehanna and Allegheny forests. Personally I'd avoid 80 too and take 6, but that's just me!

Have fun and let us know cause I'll probly do that route again sometime soon.

Safe travels and happy campin.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote