Old 02-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Take the time to poke around the coastal towns.

Have a lobster roll.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 06:13 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Danbury , Connecticut
Pay attention to what "cracker" says in the last paragraph and driving directions. THAT IS MOST IMPORTANT.

You'll love the Maine coast, beautiful. Acadia is NOT to be missed.
Most beautiful on the east coast.

charliejw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
We went in October and drove through Acadia. Packed a picnic lunch and ate on their beach. It was amazing. As I was driving through, all the leaves were in full color and raining down on the road. Not that busy either. Just enjoy the nature part of it. We found this awesome deli called the 3 dog or 4 dog cafe. We got almost all of our food there. Not all the restaurants are great, but this little place was awesome. People are very friendly. Saw one other airstream - a newer 31 footer with a big black 250? It was parked a ways from the road, so I couldn't see it up close. We flew up there from Virginia for a wedding, and rented a car, but my wife wants to go back soon.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
Richmond , Virginia
oh, and I'm a woodworker. Spent several hours in the windsor chair works. The owner kept trying to get me to buy the place from him as he could see I really understood and appreciated his work. That was one of the best parts of the trip. The only other comment about maine is the misinformation. Seemed nothing the locals told me was true. They got which lighthouses were open to the public confused, what days, where things were. It was really an odd thing. Get maps, and check out the official postings for times and dates. Don't ask the locals. It wasn't just one person. Probably got bad info from 6 out of 8 people I talked to. Genuinely very nice people, but misinformed. Sorry, just my experience.
robwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Ladson , South Carolina
If you must go to Freeport (I had to go to LL Bean) there is a great little CG, 4 miles from Freeport - Blueberry Pond CG in Pownal. It is rather old and rustic but nice. They accept Passport Amer if you are a member.
Kathy Narowski
SC Coastal Unit
Safari Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
2008 19' International
Peaks island , Maine
Mainer here. July and August are crazy here, especially on the coast. September is perfect. The crowds are gone for a brief time before the onslaught of leaf peepers. September is warm, air is clear, and everyone is happy.

I would also recommend Acadia. Beautiful.

Edwina is offline   Reply With Quote