Old 05-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
Rivet Master
2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Maine recommendations?

We want to spend a few weeks in Maine next summer, the Downeast portion preferably. Would anyone familiar with campgrounds make some recommendations, please?
We want full hookups but will use the facilities in our Airstream. But, we would like nice sites, not right next to your neighbor, if possible. We will probably drive over to PEI without the trailer while we are there, also.
Many thanks,

lsbrodsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Be prepared for a long drive to PEI from down east. Why not take the trailer ???? PEI is a great destination. We stayed at a provincial park on the north shore and it was really nice but the water will be colder than you are used to. Camden Hills State Park is a real nice place outside of the town of Camden, Maine and don't forget Bar Harbor. We did not stay in the Nat. Park campsites and it was a long time ago but well worth the visit. Have a great time and a good way to get out of the NC hot summer but it does get warm up there too.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master
The Bar Harbor is indeed where we would probably like to stay for 2-3 weeks. We could certainly take the trailer to PEI if that makes sense. But we would stay farther west of Bar Harbor if someone has a great campground recommendation. Thanks
Old 05-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Surely somebody else has some recommendations for Maine?

Old 05-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Portland , Oregon
There are two National Park campgrounds, Blackwoods and Seawall. Neither have hookups. There is access to showers, water, and dump station.

I have always stayed at Blackwoods over Seawall; nice rustic location, good space between sites, plenty of trees and shade, central location and better sites than Seawall.

There are a number of private campgrounds. Most of them have hookups, but, for the most part are like parking lots. Do your research on what type of park you are looking for.

We visited Acadia 10 years in a row until we moved to the Pacific Northwest in 2002. Six years spent at Blackwood and the rest in a private campground after purchasing our first RV. It has been 12 years since we were last there, so can't speak to the current private campground situation.
MacPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
2014 Bowlus Road Chief
Cumming , Iowa
I was going to recommend Baxter State Park but we only camped there in our tent days and I think it may be too restrictive for all but the smallest Airstreams. Other wise I'd second the recommendation for Camden and Acadia.

Best wishes,

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Old 05-27-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member
2013 25' FB International
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
First join Passport America for 50% off then stay at

Narrows Too Camping, An Encore Resort
1150 Bar Harbor Rd
Bar Harbor, ME 04605

also there sister resort

Mt Desert Narrows Camping, An Encore Resort
1219 State Hwy 3
Bar Harbor, ME 04609

Enjoy Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound for the best lobster fresh lobster.

It's almost across the street from Narrows Too.. If you get there before June 15 it's still low season rates.

Be sure to eat at the restrant in Arcadia NP. Get the lobster bisk and a pop over.
If you could have a superpower, what would it be?

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2005 31' Classic
Castalain Springs , Tennessee
Our route

We have traveled through Maine up to PEI for summers over the past 40 years. We'd suggest you not be so particular about full hookups as it will limit your choices in campgrounds, most have dump stations available.
We can give you our our normal itinerary starting in Mass at Salisbury Beach State Reservation, w/e with dump station. Great place for day trips into Boston, Salem, Gloucester. We stay 3 or so days here.
Our next stop is Timberland Acres CG , w/e/s, in Trenton, Me., which gives us access at a reasonable rate to Mt Desert Island on which Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor are located. Make sure you include the Schoodic Peninsula part of Acadia which is 45 minutes further north up Rt 1. We spend up to 7 days here.
We stopped traveling Rt 1 along the coast because of slow travel but if you have never been along that route I would include it as it takes you through numerous, coastal towns/villages which is the essence of the Maine Coast.
Our next stop is Lubec, Me, at Sunset Point CG,w/e/dump station; a beautiful spot with the cg on a small peninsula. Lubec gives you access to Eastport, Me and Campobello Island, NB Canada where the International Park displaying FDR's summer home is. We spend 7 days here.
Our next stop is sometimes at Fundy NP in NB Canada at the Chignecto North CG which has 10 pull thrus with full hookups that are reservable. We use to spend a week here as there are great hiking trails but now we just spend a night or two and head on to PEI.
On PEI itself we would recommend Jacque Cartier Prov Park on the western side of the Island, Red Point Prov Park on the east side of the Island and there is a campground in the town of Oyster Bed Bridge that caters to Airstreamers, I can't think of the name at the moment. The two Prov Parks have some full hookups and you can make reservations.
Some good stops on the way up Kennebunkport Me, Freeport Me, Boothbay Me, Camden Me, Belfast Me, Searsport Me, all of Mt Desert Island Me, Schoodic Pennisula Me, St Andrews NB, Hopewell Rocks NB, Fundy National Park NB and all of PEI.
We make reservations as weekends can get busy, especially on the Maine coast and your choices of sites are reduced. We use RV Parks Review on line to choose cg's. Hope this helps. There is a lot so see and do and others may have more suggestions. Safe travels.
GreggH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:36 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member
2011 23' International
Hanwell , New Brunswick
I agree with GreggH's recommendations. We live in New Brunswick, situated between Maine and PEI and we do most of our camping in those two areas. In PEI, I would highly recommend New Glasgow Highlands Campground in the central part of the province. They have large, private full hookup RV sites and the campground is very well managed and maintained. The owners live onsite.

On Mt. Desert Island, Smuggler's Den Campground is a good choice if you want full hook ups.

Enjoy your trip!
Freddy Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Wow. thank you for the wonderful recommendations!

Old 05-28-2014, 04:46 AM   #12
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We love the coast of Maine, were there last summer.

August is crazy up there. If you don't enjoy mobs of people, go earlier in the summer.

Be sure to spend some time poking around the little harbor towns, which are beautiful, old fishing villages.

You can drive on to many of the islands. We liked to go down one side and up the other.

Stonington is a beautiful drive, and there is a little shop there on main street that sells Deer Isle granite items.....from trivets and coasters to large items with handles.

You will see them in the window. Gorgeous, creamy-colored granite, specific to Deer Isle, from which JFK's tombstone is made.

Eat lots of lobster, and have a great time.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We went last summer up to Nova Scotia and stopped two times in Maine. One overnight in Freeport to visit LL Bean and stayed at a KOA. Sites were close but nice folks and very close to Bean. Next stop was Cobbs Cook Bay State Park. No facilities, but if you can secure a site on the water it is by far the best place we have camped in years. Tides of 20+ feet and very private sites. We were there for three days, conserved water and electricity and never ran out of either. It rained all three days, but we had a great time anyway.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:21 AM   #14
Rivet Master
No discount

After some internet research I see that the Passport America discount is not available during July and August. Understandable but eliminates the need to even think about paying for that membership.