Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
Trumbull , Connecticut
Maine Things

When I travel to ME from CT the first place I stop for a real meal is Bobs Clam Shack, in Kittery ME. It is located on RT1 middle of Kittery and next to the Kittery Trading Post. They have excellent sea food and the best lobster stew I have ever eaten.
Also when in Freeport to visit LL Bean Store, they allow you to stay overnight in their parking lot.
The 2 CG that I like are Hadleys Point CG and Bar Harbor CG, right on RT3 on MT Desert Island. When we went up to NB and PEI we noticed that there were some long drives between fueling stops so keep the tank full.
Have a great time
Happy camping nm1oqrz

Old 05-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Also is you go deep into New Brunswick or NS and are towing with a diesel as we do watch for the pumps that do not have Ultra Low Sulfur. Some of the stations do not have Ultra Low Sulfur and you cannot put that in a US new Diesel truck. We carry an extra 5 gallon can of diesel fuel just for such situations.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
No problem, I use regular unleaded gasoline....
Larry
Old 06-08-2014, 08:17 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
Monroe , Maine
Take a look at Flanders Bay / Mountainview campground in Sullivan ME. I have not stayed there but drive by often. Sites on the ocean. Truly in DownEast Maine. Two good places to eat nearby (Chester Pikes and Tracy's Lobsters)!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Thanks, I looked them up and I do not think they will met our needs. No laundry, very few full hookup and those are near the road, not the water. The isolation is nice, though.
Larry
Old 06-08-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Larry,

I live in Maine and we go camp in the state quite a bit. You have already gotten some good advice, and like GreggH said, if you limit yourself to ONLY full hookups you will miss some of the best places in the state.

There are plenty of very nice places just water and electric and some with no hookups at all. I would recommend staying at some of those in addition to the full hookup sites.

If you look at this thread, http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ns-112554.html I and others listed a bunch of places.

In my opinion Blackwoods campground is the nicest campground in Acadia (and Bar Harbor) but no hookups so not a good option for long term. All the other campgrounds have very little to no privacy and some have hardly any trees so it's hard to recommend any. Having said that when we do stay in Acadia and want hookups we stay at Hadley point.

Besides the recommendations I already listed in the thread above, I would highly recommend Coobscook State park. Probably the most beautiful campground in Maine. But again no hookups. Same goes with Lilly Bay State park at Moosehead Lake.

If you are going to PEI I recommend bringing the camper. It is LONG distance away from Maine. There are some B&Bs to stay at, but I personally would prefer to bring my AS.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to message me directly.

-J
Old 06-08-2014, 10:17 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Thanks, sorry I missed the other thread. My searches are usually more successful. I will study the details. I do know that we have concluded taking the trailer to PEI is a must. No other way to deal with the dog and we would want to spend a few days exploring PEI.
My current thinking is to try to find a place in Downeast to be our base for about 3 weeks, venturing out by truck to explore, shop, eat, etc. We know that more private and rustic locations have no hookups or minimal, but our preferences with our AS so far are to enjoy full hookups. I have to decide whether I want to move around and explore with the trailer attached. There are some really good recommendations here so many thanks.
Larry
Old 06-08-2014, 10:27 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I would love to be able to recommend an awesome place downeast with full hookups, but unfortunately I can't, have not found such a place as of yet. Mountain view campground near the schoodic peninsula is decent, right on the water and has some sites with full hookups. Probably the closest to what I could recommend. http://www.flandersbay.com/campground.html

-J