Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 AM   #1
ARA
1 Rivet Member

MAINE help/info/advice needed ASAP

We have started our full-timing experience off on the wrong foot. It's been just three weeks since we drove out of Colonial, and we are definitely feeling down.

Besides some other issues, our main problem is that our tow vehicle was t-boned last week and is out for the count. Our 4 month old tow vehicle. Our tow vehicle that has less than 11,000 miles on it. It is currently at a Ford dealer in Portland and they will begin work on it next week. The estimate says there is about a month or more of work to be done on it. Sigh.

Our dilemma is that we are now stuck at the KOA near Gardiner, Maine. When we landed here, we were going to stay just to the 20th, and then move on to a less expensive campground for 10 days, and then slowly make our way, via cheaper state parks (with some dry camping thrown in) to Colorado.

We need help/advice on two things:
1) is there any campground near Augusta (family lives there and we want to stay fairly close) that is cheaper than KOA, may have an opening for us for a month or longer (despite the upcoming holiday weekend), and is full-hookup? We need full-hookup as, without the truck, we will be unable to tow it regularly to a dump station.
2) does anyone know where we can rent a big enough truck (we have a 2016 Classic) to tow it to said campground, or of someone we could hire to do the towing for us?

And, no, neither our insurance, nor the other guy's insurance will pay for us to just stay here at the KOA. The other insurance will pay for the tow to another campground.

The KOA owner is getting antsy to know just what our plans are. I wish we had answer for her.

HELP!!!
ARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You might download the AllStays app, and see what you find in the area. It is inexpensive, and includes lots of information on campgrounds and other items of help and interest to RV'er's.

It would seem to me that insurance should pay for a rental truck while yours is out of commission, as this is your only source of transportation.

Minus that, paying your KOA expense seems in order, along with a rental something to get you around to meet basic needs, as you are stranded in place because of the accident.

Talk with your agent perhaps his/her supervisor, and get them on it.

While you are at the KOA, ask them about a Honey Wagon, or other pump out service for your holding tanks. These are pretty common.

Lastly...don't despair.

We call these things "a test", to see what we can handle and what we're made of.

You have set out on this adventure because you're made of strong stuff, so don't forget that.

One day, you'll be entertaining others with these stories of your early days.

Chin up, do what you need to do, it will get better.

Keep us posted here.

Maggie
Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 AM   #3
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Ask the Ford dealer for a loaner/rental truck for a day or two to move the trailer.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
You probably thought of this, but with that much work to do on your truck, can you get your agent to work with the at-fault agent to total the truck? Does that give you enough money to buy another truck and move on?

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Are you an Elk? There's an Elk club in Augusta that allows camping.

Other close options according to AllStays could include:

Gardiner, ME:
http://www.foggybottommarine.com/campground.html

Vassleboro, ME:
http://www.greenvalleycampground.us

Augusta West:
http://www.augustawestkampground.com

I've never been to these but that's the beauty of the AllStays app. Sorry to hear of your accident. Hope everyone is ok. Good luck!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
augusta truck rental - Enterprise Truck Rental
https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/tru...ons/us/e126g2-
augusta.html

The standard tow vehicle rental source is usually Enterprise.

There is a Passport America site in Palmyra. It's located on a golf course and reasonably decent size. Worth checking to see if you can work a deal. We found the road at the bottom of the park to be too wet to use and traveled against the direction arrows to stay on a firm surface.

Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 01:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Livingston , Texas
Ara, Sorry to hear your plight. I sounds like you are OK then, just in a pickle.

Surprisingly they did not total your TV.

Try:
Foggy Bottom campground and marina
331 Maine Ave
Farmingdale, ME 04344
Small 17 site park with FHU's, close to you.

We just came from Maine and in Lower VT heading to Lower NH (outside Rochester) next week. But now, about 4 hrs from you.

Ryder rents trucks as well. Maybe even a 3/4 ton.

If you can't find any help, please reach out to us. I've got a F350.

Sid & Bonny
Old 06-25-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
ARA
1 Rivet Member

MAGGIE - Thanks for the advice AND the encouragement! We do have a rental car, it's just so little I'm not sure it could pull a Radio Flyer wagon, let alone our Classic. And, at the moment, our site at the KOA has full-hookups (whew!).

MOJO - Thanks for that idea!! I will have to try them on Monday!

ISBRODSKY - Because our truck is so new with so few miles, it's worth is "too" high to total. We have a minimum of about $20,000 right now, although it could get closer to $30,000 when they start to pull it apart. But... To total it, it would need about $40,000 in damages. Totaling it would be SO much easier for us. Ah, well... We're in the Lord's hands.

STEVESUEMAC - I had already checked out two of those campgrounds, but they are full up. I did call the third place, and it is a strong possibility. Thanks!

PAT - Thanks for your advice on Enterprise. I know they have trucks, just not sure if they have a big enough one.

SPHERE GUY - Thank you so much for your offer!! But we'd hate for you to come all that way back to this area. You deserve a reward for being so generous! And thanks for the advice on Ryder.

While I can do some calling this weekend, some of this will just have to wait until Monday.

And, yes. All of us came out of this unscathed. (Physically!)
Old 06-26-2016, 12:50 PM   #9

2006 28' Safari SE
Philomont , Virginia
Maine sites

Look up Searsport Shores Campsite. On the coastline. They have full connections and can pump black water at all sites.
Buffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:23 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Quote <PAT - Thanks for your advice on Enterprise. I know they have trucks, just not sure if they have a big enough one.>Quote
Unless you were carrying 800 lbs of stuff in your box, a 1500 size anything with 280 - 300 HP (which will also have the torque to match) is enough to pull your trailer the distance you need to go. Might not be your first choice as a TV but it will do the job.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
South Gardiner , Maine
http://www.thebirchescampground.com/2015-pricing/.

So the Birches is the only other close by that I can think of. I live about 5 miles from the KOA so I might be able to help you out if you are moving local and my TV is big enough for your AS?
Pkeliher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
South Gardiner , Maine
I live 5 miles from KOA. I could help tow. Let me know. Also here is another link to a campground on a local lake. Foggy Bottom is also a good thought. They are the closest.

http://www.thebirchescampground.com
Pkeliher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Camden , Maine
Sorry to read about your plight and unfortunate start to your adventures. We are fellow Airstreamers and we live about an hour away from Gardiner. We would love to talk with you about possible ways we might help (tow vehicle etc...) Please feel free to call at your convenience. Jeff and Robin Brawn (207)975-2168 Jeff's cell; and I will respond as soon after I receive a message as possible if I am unable to answer when you call. Best wishes for good solutions to your challenges.... :-)
Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
The insurance company should rent a pickup for your use, at least in Montana they do, I would try demanding it.....or trade your wrecked one in for a new one.....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #15
ARA
1 Rivet Member

Thank you for all of your help and suggestions. And offers of help with towing!!

After investigating, we found most of the campgrounds suggested are already booked up for the season, or are no cheaper than where we are at. Just for the sake of less stress in our lives, right now, the decision was made to just stay put. Expensive, yes, but one less burden on our over taxed minds!

I think our main need right now, is prayer - for those of you who believe in that sort of thing.

Thanks!!
Old 06-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Most campgrounds give a discounted monthly rate, which may help if you are not already getting that.

One day at a time, or a moment or decision at a time.

Do your part, things will get better, tho maybe not as quickly nor exactly as you would like.

Chin up. It's a test.

Keep us posted, and good luck to you.

Maggie
Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Moneta , Virginia
If you just purchased a new Airstream it came with 2 years towing. I am sure your situation qualifies you.
KenBrodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
I'd see if the Portland ME Ford dealer will do a trade on the wrecked truck for a new one using the insurance payment as cash in the deal. The Ford dealers cost to repair the truck and sell it is not near what the insurance company is probably paying so I'd give it a shot if you have not already.

My daughter wrecked her car but her insurance company would not total so I went to my Ford dealer with her banged up Honda and cut a deal for her with my sales guy. She came out with a brand new car, and a good deal and the Ford dealer repaired the Honda in their spare time and sold it for a nice profit.

Good luck

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:19 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari SE
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Way to Go Sid, helping someone in need. You were there for us. I'll be in touch. Need to run some stuff by you.

Mike
Rocket53 is offline   Reply With Quote