Old 06-08-2019, 06:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Maine Camping Suggestions?

Taking a family of four, boys 7 & 13 for a month long trip to Cape Cod then up through Maine. We wou be very interested to hear any camping/food suggestions that anyone might suggest.
We like to enjoy the beauty of nature, hike, bike, FISH and explore new areas. DId I mention we like to FISH. We have been to Acadia in the past and are planning on making this a coastal Maine trip on the way north, possibly into Canada for a short trip. Coming back south we will explore the interior of Maine.
Appreciate and suggestions. We are not opposed to boondicking, however if the temps in mid July are too hot, we would prefer electric.

malinois38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:48 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Long Island , New York
Maine

I strongly suggest you search in the blue box up top for Moosetags’s (Brian) adventures in the northeast part of the country. Very, very informative and an easy read-a-long.
Have fun!

2019 23FB International Serenity
2018 Jeep Overland 5.7L Hemi with factory towing package
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Wally Bryan Airstream Club #2600

Id rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
One year we drove the coast all the way to Nova Scotia.
NE of Arcadia, it's called the "Bold Coast", and doesn't have many tourist features. However, the highlight of the trip was seeing the puffins on Machias Seal Island. Puffins spend their entire lives at sea and only nest to lay eggs. That island (6 mi. offshore on the Canadian border) is unique because the only other species of birds there, eat the eggs of the puffin's predators.
You have to go in an approved boat. Small town America, we asked and were told "go to the dock in Eastport and ask for Bob."
The dock is a flat river bank at low tide, and I saw no-one, but yelled, "BOB!". A head popped up from repairing a boat engine, and it was our captain.
Must do if you get that far.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
One year we drove the coast all the way to Nova Scotia.
NE of Arcadia, it's called the "Bold Coast", and doesn't have many tourist features. However, the highlight of the trip was seeing the puffins on Machias Seal Island. Puffins spend their entire lives at sea and only nest to lay eggs. That island (6 mi. offshore on the Canadian border) is unique because the only other species of birds there, eat the eggs of the puffin's predators.
You have to go in an approved boat. Small town America, we asked and were told "go to the dock in Eastport and ask for Bob."
The dock is a flat river bank at low tide, and I saw no-one, but yelled, "BOB!". A head popped up from repairing a boat engine, and it was our captain.
Must do if you get that far.

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a great idea. We will keep in mind for a future trip along with reading Moosetags thread.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Mt. Tremper , New York
We go up that way frequently and go through that way to Nova Scotia. When you get way down east you should spend at least a couple of nights at Cobscook Bay State Park. Fabulous state park - wonderfully laid out. Great sites and some right on the water. We stay in the Whiting Bay loop - many great sites up there. #s 4 - 8 are right on the water. Seals, loons and eagles. There is a lot to do in the surrounding area. Check out the Maine Heritage Trust - they have some great preserves with beautiful hikes. (Land trusts are often a secret source of great places to hike and visit). We dont fish much, but you are surrounded by ocean, lakes and streams up there so I bet you could find plenty of spots. The Bold Coast trail is also spectacular and not far. One the way up we usually stop at Wolfes Neck Campground outside of Freeport. Its a convenient stopover, working farm (with some kids programs I think) on the water, generally nice sites and 10 minutes from town if you want to do the Freeport thing.
HankStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagletoo View Post
I strongly suggest you search in the blue box up top for Moosetags’s (Brian) adventures in the northeast part of the country. Very, very informative and an easy read-a-long.
Have fun!
Well said, Bruce. A very fine read indeed!

Have fun malinois38.

Peter

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ed-152034.html
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Stay in Lubec At the sunset RV park the most eastern RV park in the USA. Eat at Franks Dockside Restaurant have the pancake with wide blueberrys, see the lighthouse at Quoddy State Park, drive a cross the bridge to Campobello Island see FDRs summer home, watch the tide change over 20 ft.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinois38 View Post
-- snip -- Coming back south we will explore the interior of Maine. -- snip --
Central Maine roads are the worst. Suggest you come and go with your towing on maintained highways. That may keep you close to the coast.

If you wish to save a buck or two, the Palmyra Golf and RV Resort was a Passport America campground. It is a big park and likely would be a home base for solo travel if such a location was needed. Walmart not too far down the road.

Also, if you have a pie interest, there is an attraction called Wild Blueberry Land. They sell anything blueberry related, almost. We liked the pie.

Several of the small towns we visited on the coast did not have RV parking. Plan your costal exploring to be solo.

We liked the less tourist parts of the state, but it's all fun. We were told that the reason we did not find a lobster shack was that they are in the bigger cities. We suspect that there are places to get lobster. We found several places that looked to be wholesale operations. Suggest you ask around.

If you have not been there, Mystic Seaport is an interesting day trip. Try Seaport RV Resort. It's an old park that has been nicely updated.

Have a great trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
We joined Acres of Wildlife for their annual clean up. Had a good time. Great property with private stocked fishing lake. Within short drive to Portland ME and Sebago Lake, Maines second largest lake.

https://www.acresofwildlife.com/orde...e/default.aspx
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
If you decide to go into Nova Scotia, we are currently at an amazing site that is a little hidden gem. You get to see tides switch from low to high tide twice a day like everywhere but the tide is 30 to 40 ft differential. Very dramatic. I can get you in touch with one of the seasonal guys and he can take you out flounder fishing. He took us up the road to some random persons house, we bought lobster for $7/lb gotta commit to seeing Nova Scotia though!
Click image for larger version

Name:	82A638F9-0A5A-4157-B413-35D0E3CE70DA.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	342867
Old 06-09-2019, 10:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Great photo, thanks! It would make a good addition to the Campsite Pics thread IMO:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...cs-174884.html

Was the shot taken from a drone or just higher ground?

I assume we are looking at high tide?

Thanks,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 11:14 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
High tide with a drone
Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Happy Valley , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSxyWhtGuy View Post
If you decide to go into Nova Scotia, we are currently at an amazing site that is a little hidden gem. You get to see tides switch from low to high tide twice a day like everywhere but the tide is 30 to 40 ft differential. Very dramatic. I can get you in touch with one of the seasonal guys and he can take you out flounder fishing. He took us up the road to some random persons house, we bought lobster for $7/lb gotta commit to seeing Nova Scotia though!
Attachment 342867
Great information from everyone! Just got out passports in the mail and then I get this picture. Ill take that as a sign. Nova Scotia may be on our radar now.

BTW, I did search the forum previous to my post. Found some good information, some a little dated. I also know how quickly things can change. So, I thought I would get some new & up to date information and I have.

Safe Travels
malinois38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:20 PM   #14
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
If you do wander inland from that spectacular coast-

Www.maineforestandloggingmuseum.org

2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote

« Campsite pics | Top | Ticks »