Old 06-03-2004, 08:52 AM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Originally Posted by crazylev
...... Also have wheel choks (also pretty ugly), .......
So why are wheel chocks made in such lurid colors? I've seen international orange, crayola yellow and grandmas lipstick red - what gives? How about some nice gray ones or sage green or gosh... even aluminum would be lovely.

1964 Overlander | '08 Touareg V6
Current Project: 1964 Globetrotter

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #16

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have a nice set of BAL wheel chocks which are aluminum looking. I also have a neat BAL single-wheel lifter which lets you level the trailer by putting it under the low side wheel and cranking it up however far you need to go. Very slick! No neon lifting blocks for us! The only downside is sometimes it's hard to slide around the wheel on soft ground, so we keep one piece of wood to put the low tire on if we have to, then we can slide the leveler under there.
Attached Images

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 09:50 AM   #17
2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois

My guess is that you don't forget 'em if you see 'em. I think improvising with four pieces of nicely wedged firewood would be just as effective.

Sometimes I wish I were living in the stone age. Then I would know I'm the smartest person in the world.
crazylev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1999 34' Limited
2002 19' Bambi
Allen , Texas
Second the recommendations

Like Stefrobrts, we have the BAL leveler as well as the BAL compression chock. The leveler works great and is sure easier than trying to get JUST the right amount of chocks under the wheels for side to side leveling. I did find that the tires on our '02 Bambi were too large to allow the leveler to slide easily underneath, especially on rockie sites. I fixed that by slightly expanding the leveler by standing on one arm and pulling up on the other. Probably didn't change the distance between the arms more than 3/4" but now the leveler slids in perfectly. The BAL compression chock is a unit that also slides underneath both sides of the tire, but it has a long jackscrew that you tighten against the wheel.

Also the McKesh mirrors work great. I can easily see the cars closer than the required 200ft (ie anything 200' behind the trailer must be visable in the mirrors). I also added a convex mirror on the McKesh mounted on the drivers side. Between the McKesh, the convex and the normal outside mirrors, I have NO blindspots on the either side of the rig.

david & bret
'02 Bambi LS
'99 34' Limited
Air Forums # 2159
Past President Heart of Texas Camping Unit
WBCCI # 7548
dtbw is offline   Reply With Quote