Old 09-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gainesville , Florida
Maiden voyage suggestions?

Just purchased a 2007 31' Classic and want to take her out on our first adventure. We are in Gainesville, FL. Where would you guys suggest for a good first quick trip with two kids for this weekend?

Old 09-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Not Too Far

I think your best bet would be to go up the road a short ways to Travelers Rest CG. It's very camper friendly, They'll help you park, hook up etc. If you haven't been out at all there will be lots new to learn. Better learn it closer to home than finding yourself out a ways and realizing you need or forgot some critical thing. The learning curve is a bit steep if you've never been out. Better you do a short drive which will leave you plenty of time for playing with kids and lots more time learning the systems of your rig.

We bought our first Airstream 5 years ago and we camped about 10 miles away from the dealer. Our first weekend allowed us to start a punch list of things to fix, things to buy and not get too stressed out by that big long beast behind us.

Bill
FerryTrails.com

Old 09-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Our first trip was to a nearby WBCCI rally. Not only was it relatively close to home, but we were surrounded by friendly Airstreamers (including the previous owner of our trailer) who were happy to help us get the hang of it.

Whatever you do, relax and have fun!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Sherbrooke , Quebec
I would suggest Cedar Key, SW of you on Highway 24.

We spent a week-end there in Dec 2009 and loved it. There are a few interesting Wildlife reserves and it is not too populated. Nice orchards as well. Make certain to bring your own food. It is not the mecca of restaurants around there.

If you hook-up with the locals, they are very helpful and can help find the treasures of the area. We have some of our favourite pictures from that trip.

But, as Stephanie said, enjoy the ride and get to know and love your AS.

Enjoy!
Ghislain
Old 09-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I purchased a lightly used 2008 Classic 25FB almost 6 months ago and I thought it was going to be problem free. I was wrong. Found lots of stuff wrong.

You should find a campground with full hookups and not worry about sight seeing yet and try to stay a few days. Test out all the systems. Take some tools with you in case you need to fix something. Take a voltmeter test any electrical problems. Take all your manuals.

Verify the converter is working properly and is charging the batteries. The propane leak detector will flash amber instead of green if the voltage drops too low. My converter wasn't working properly. I had to replace it with one from Bestconverter.com

Run the AC all day long to determine if it leaks water condensation from interior housing. Mine leaked and it appears due to a faulty caulking job where the drain tube connects to the drain pan in the overhead housing. Drop the interior housing and look at the insulation of the center of the housing. If its stained you will probably have a leak when the AC starts creating condensation.
Turn on the electric part of your water heater with the AC running to see if it blows the 30 amp breaker. If you have 50 amps run both Acs. I had to move the AC off the 30/20amp breaker to the end breaker. Too much heat generated by the AC and the 30 amp. Kept popping. I may replace that 30/20 barker.

Even though you are on full hook ups turn off the water and let the water pump provide water pressure for a day. Observe if any burping of the water pump is heard. That means a leak on the pressurized side

Run the water heater on propane. Verify it starts up and stays lit.

Take a shower and observe if any water leaks into the hallway floor from underneath the shower enclosure and framing. If you can remove a heat duct from shower wall in the bedroom you should be able to observe if the the shower drain P trap is leaking. I had leaks to the hallway and the P trap. I removed the shower door and sealed the gap between the enclosure and wood frame and caulked the plastic flashing.

With water hook ups you can test your black flush. Open the access door in the closet where the water pump is likely located to observe any leaks from the check valve. Mine was broken and it sprayed the interior behind the shower enclosure with water. It started running out where the water hook up is located on the outside. I ended up putting a male/male elbow instead of getting another check valve.

You can fill up the water tank then fill up the black and grey tanks to see if your monitor panel is working correctly. My black water tank sensor acts up sometimes to where it shows full when it's empty. I'm giving it a treatment of laundry soap and water while driving to campsites. Maybe the tank needs a good cleaning to get rid of dried up leftovers from the previous owner. Right now it seems to be working.

Practice dumping.

Play with the exterior awnings to learn how to deploy and retract them. Verify all the acorn nuts are tight. Some of mine were loose. I used blue Loctite on all the nuts on my awnings.

Have you had the brake line and brake actuator recalls performed. I insisted on these recalls being performed and insisted the Actibrake controller be replaced by a Dexter unit before signing the papers.

If your tires are from 2007 then get them replaced. Also buy a tire pressure monitoring system. I use TireTraker.

Check the pads of the stabilizer jacks. I had one of them fall off because the wing nut came loose. Also check all the bolts of the stabilizer. If like mine some will be broken off at the head. I need to get them drilled out and replacement bolts inserted.

Open and close all the windows and use silicone on rubber if stuff. Use a flat blunt old spackle knife to break the glass away if stuck to the rubber. Be gentle.

Check all interior lights. I found one that didn't work and had the dealer get me a new one and I installed it. I have another reading light where the dimmer doesn't work. I want to switch them all to LEDs eventually.

Check the oven. Bake something in it. Check the stove top.

Check the fridge for performance. Run it on electricity one day and electri the next day to see if performs equally. Verify if your Dometic fridge is part of the Dometic recall. They put baffles around the burner flame in the exterior fridge area. Helps keep the flame lit on windy day towing or when big trucks pass. Test out the microwave. Heat something for 5 or 6 minutes with the AC running. You'll have to switch your heater to propane first if you only have 30 amps.

Verify no leaks when draining water from the kitchen and bathroom sinks.

Check the radio and TV operation as well as the crank up antenna.

After you test everything then you can go out to play It took us 6 trips to finally get to a point where nothing went wrong with our Airstream. Always found something on each trip.

Kelvin
Old 09-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gainesville , Florida
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think we are going to try to stay within an hour away for the first trip. (Forgot about son's lacrosse practice on Sunday). I'm going to check Traveler's Rest today.

Just joined WBCCI, Stephanie. Can't wait to get our numbers and definitely looking forward to going to our first rally!

Kelvin, you are man after my husband's heart! We've had the AS parked in the driveway with the systems running on and off since Sunday. He has his list already created, but you've mentioned a few things that would be great to add. Wish us luck!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
2008 27' Classic FB
Oak Harbor , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellyg8r View Post
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think we are going to try to stay within an hour away for the first trip. (Forgot about son's lacrosse practice on Sunday). I'm going to check Traveler's Rest today.

Just joined WBCCI, Stephanie. Can't wait to get our numbers and definitely looking forward to going to our first rally!

Kelvin, you are man after my husband's heart! We've had the AS parked in the driveway with the systems running on and off since Sunday. He has his list already created, but you've mentioned a few things that would be great to add. Wish us luck!
Shelly - got the name slightly wrong - it's Travelers CG. And when the kids all clamor for breakfast and you don't feel like cooking, there is a Waffle House an easy walk away.

Bill
FerryTrails.com
Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Camp close to home and just test and try everything, we did that with our new Airstream, it sure reduces the stress when your close to home.

And Boston's love to camp, at least our 4 do! We call our Airstream the dog house on wheels!

Damon
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
Camp close to home and just test and try everything, we did that with our new Airstream, it sure reduces the stress when your close to home.

And Boston's love to camp, at least our 4 do! We call our Airstream the dog house on wheels!

Damon
That's our plan Damon. The Boston is going and so is the 70lb. Am. Bulldog. Might be a little cozy….