Old 10-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1960 22' Safari
Missoula , Montana
Maiden voyage successful!

I just spent ten days in my newly restored 1960 Safari, covering about 550 miles from western Montana to Whidbey Island and then back again at the end of the week. I’m in love! The process of designing it and picking out materials for the renovation was a blast (confession - I didn’t actually do the renovation dirty work myself), but actually getting to USE it - totally and completely awesome. Based on my research here I went with the Equal-i-zer hitch and it felt great. No issues with sway, no problems going up and down three mountain passes in each direction.

I have to say, as a complete neophyte with no knowledge of towing (or even basic automotive know-how, really), this forum proved invaluable in getting properly set up and preparing for the trip. Now I can at least pretend to speak cogently about brake controllers, etc. I look forward to learning more from the community and gathering ideas for future trips - hopefully lots of ‘em.

AND if I can figure out how to include some pictures (first post here!), allow me to show off the new baby!!! (Pictures would look better with some dogs for scale, but I was flying solo on this trip. But yes…that’s an official Dog Cave underneath the upper bunk, and a raised food and water station for our two “kids”. Go ahead…I won’t hear you laughing )
Attached Images

paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Wow - what a great design for the bed & doggie area! You have a beautiful trailer, and I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! Wishing you many more amazing adventures with your new baby!

Sean & Sharon
AIR #: 27389
TAC #: OR-3
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1965 26' Overlander
The Gorgeous Pac Northwest , Washington
Congrats on a successful Maiden Voyage. Isn't Airtreaming amazing? There is nothing like hitting the road for your first outing with your AS in tow. By the way your Airstream is beautiful.

Hope you have many many many happy travels.
WBCCI# 2578
Four Corners Unit

Our travel and resto blog:
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
1960 22' Safari
Missoula , Montana
Thanks! I'm beyond excited for all the adventures to come...I can see why people get hooked on Airstreaming
paisley is offline   Reply With Quote