Old 10-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
"Maiden Voyage" Check List?? Help!!!

Hi there, soon I will be able to make my big annoucement that we own an AS. Won't be long now. But, since I am the "organizer" I am trying to do my due diligence in advance. Does anyone have a list of what we'll need (as NEWBIE'S) for our maiden voyage which will just so happen to be across the country??!!!! Honestly, I'm really nervous. I'll re-read Newbie's Guide, of course but, any help is appreciated and welcome. I have no clue where to begin and have some other Forums peeps who I want to share this info. with who are also about to embark on their maiden voyage. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I don't mean the punch list that we'll go over with the dealer, I mean a list of things we need to bring from our home to make our journey back home a pleasure. I will be bringing the bedding, towels, kitchen gear et al. ~ it's the non-obvious things I'm after and would most likely have no clue that are needed!!

WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
  1. Toilet Paper!!!! Cheap stuff - or RV specific - something that will disintegrate if you put it in a quart jar of water and shake it.
  2. An upgrade on any dealer supplied Stinky slinky hose - You can't have too much quality separating you from the smell of poo!
  3. Cheap vinyl or latex gloves - poo isn't a big deal if you're prepared to deal with it. Anyone who's changed a diaper from a kid who's eaten his first mashed beets has nothing to fear!
  4. An app that shows you where the nearest "large lot" shopping center is - so that you can park & buy anything you forgot!
  5. Watch one McGuyver rerun at least - let the spirit of McGuyver watch over you and provide you with inspiration for "make do" fixes. Masking tape and Kleenex will function as a bandaid!
  6. Common Sense - if I look at all the crap I thought I'd need that I've never used.... Seriously, take it easy with the buying stuff in the beginning. YOUR life will dictate what's important in your camper, and you'll get stuff along the way.
  7. Beer - or my personal favorite HARD CIDER.
  8. sense of humor
Paula

Old 10-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
PS: If you drink enough of the hard cider you'll figure out why T.P. is number one... or number two.

Paula
Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
Dont forget duct tape-it fixes all

Seriously, we carry a small tool kit, flashlights, batteries for remote, flashlights. Wheel chocks, have spare door keys made soon, the little bungee cords with balls on them to secure awing arms together. I also carry 12ton bottle jack just in case I have to change a flat tire.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
What we learned on our recent trip to Canada was this:
We took too much stuff, but can't have too much rv toilet paper...
Take as much stuff to have fun with. Kayaks, fishing gear, companion pet, or what ever you are going on your trip for.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Spanish Fort , Alabama
I think this is what you are asking for:
1. Check tire pressure
2. All Windows closed
3. Refrigerator contents secured.
4. Vents closed ( Bath, shower, fantastic fans)
5. TV antenna retracted
6. Zip-Dee Awning locked and secured.
7. Shower Door locked.
8. TV secured by Velcro
9. Water Pump Off
10. Furnace/AC off
11. Water Heater Off
12. Empty Black and Gray Tanks except for 2-3 gallons
13. Sewage Pipe disconnected and stowed
14. Water Hose Disconnected and Stowed.
15. Shore Power Cord disconnected and stowed
16. Check to see Refrigerator is operating on propane
17. Stabilizer jacks up
18. Chocks stored
19. Power Cord to truck connected, lights working
20. Safety Chains Connected
21. Power hitch retracted and stowed
22. Door locked, steps folded up
23. Last visual check around trailer and tow vehicle prior to departure.

We do actually go thru this list because like many people on this forum; there is the possibility of a Senior Moment!
Enjoy Your Journey
Alumitater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB Classic
Jamestown , Rhode Island
New trailers do not come with a bottle jack, or tire iron. A torque wrench is nice to have. The tire iron is 3/4 inch thin wall socket. Have fun.
Chock blocks are very important, never disconnect without them in place trust me on that.. Greg
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Rockford , Illinois
We just returned (this week) from picking up our brand new trailer from halfway across the country. I found some great packing lists on this forum, in the "On The Road" thread, called "if only I'd thought to bring..." The ONE thing that came in the most handy was an air compressor! We drove through A LOT of construction on our way home and ran over a nail that punctured one of the AS tires. We had the compressor in our TV, which made it a non event, thank GOD!! We were easily able to refill the tire at the campground and be on our way. Safe travels for your maiden voyage and all your future journeys!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #9

Currently Looking...
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
What compressor did you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fin View Post
We just returned (this week) from picking up our brand new trailer from halfway across the country. I found some great packing lists on this forum, in the "On The Road" thread, called "if only I'd thought to bring..." The ONE thing that came in the most handy was an air compressor! We drove through A LOT of construction on our way home and ran over a nail that punctured one of the AS tires. We had the compressor in our TV, which made it a non event, thank GOD!! We were easily able to refill the tire at the campground and be on our way. Safe travels for your maiden voyage and all your future journeys!
Congrats on your new AS. Hope you had a great maiden voyage. What brand/size etc of air compressor did you purchase?
Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2013 23' International
Rockford , Illinois
The air compressor is from Farm&Fleet, made by "Slime". It plugs into a 12V outlet and takes only a couple of minutes to fill, and runs about $50. I'll try to post the link below.

http://http://www.farmandfleet.com/c....aspx?i=567949
Old 10-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
Best advise here: Carry as little as possible. Buy and pack what you need when you really, really, really need it.
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fall City , Washington
don't take too many cloathes

we've wintered in AZ five times and my personal recommendation would be that one not take as many clothing articles as you first pile up. laundromats are everywhere, you'll want to buy things occasionally to add to your closet and I find I use the same two pair of shorts and a few tee shirts over and over.
also, being a male traveler, I take only colored underware and socks. no whites. that makes laundry much easier.
on travel days, have quality lunch food in the fridge so you don't have to stop once again at the fast food places you get so tired of.
try not to get focused too much on a travel plan. stay flexible and follow your instincts to find the unique and fun places along the way. I personally enjoy the trip and the traveling so six hours a day on the road is fine with me. My wife would prefer less hours.
be ready to deal with flat tires, although I've neve had one on the road, expensive fuel in the remote areas (fill up where you find it cheapest), and eat off the local market.
enjoy your trip.

Lou
Old 10-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Brownsboro , Alabama
Check out www.airstreamcentral.com - "Preparing for the First Tow Home" while not exactly what you are looking, but a great article with TV & TT info