Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #225

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We were figuring a bad batch also, as we are religious about checking tire pressure, and are almost always on very good highways. As far as the pressure, we were using the 65 psi that is in the Airstream Owners Manual. Now that we have gone to the Maxxis 10 ply (load range E) we will be running 80 psi.

We did not get the lot number, so I don't know the answer to that question.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #226
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I have read here on the Forums that the tires should be replaced every five years max or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. However, people who full time or part time and put 20K to 30K miles per year seem to get at least 30K per set of tires and Michelle has got twice that many miles from hers so either mileage doesn't necessarily matter, or maybe "individual mileage may vary". I had planned on replacing mine after three seasons just to be safe.

At most, your trailer has three seasons on those tires, am I correct? That leads me to think I might should consider replacing mine next spring. I have seen too much mangled aluminum from shredded tires to try to get an extra season out of them just to save money. It never pays in the long run, but I would have thought you would have got at least one more season out of your tires towing at 65 MPH. I have a tendency to tow a little faster and that is why I am concerned. Most of my towing is on the interstate and in the summer heat of South Georgia to Central Florida and I-75 near Valdosta is horrendous where they are doing road work. Even at 55 MPH it is still a rough ride through that stretch!

The one thing I haven't done on a regular basis is check the tire pressure in the trailer tires. I keep the tire pressure in my truck tires checked before each towing. I also check the torque on the lug nuts on the trailer before I hitch up every time. I've never had to tighten them and I guess that has led me to neglect the tire pressure. I will definitely be checking them this weekend.

Another thing I remember reading on the forums is that "dry rot" is actually caused from the plasticizers evaporating out of the surface of the tires caused by UV exposure and that daily use of our cars works the plasticizers from the interior of the rubber to the surface to replace what is lost during the tire's resting and exposure to the sun. This is what supposedly causes trailer tires to dry rot and the more we use the trailer, i.e., the more the tires roll down the road, the longer the tires will last. This may be why Michelle and 2Air have got so many miles out of their tires. If this is true, use is the best thing we can do for our tires.

Would 80 PSI be appropriate for the Goodyears also? I know the higher the tire pressure the less flexing of the sidewall and the less heat build-up from rolling down the road and, therefore, the manufacturers will rate the tires for higher speeds. (BTW, I'm not promoting speed here, just trying to gain knowledge)

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #227

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I was just reading the maintenance manual that came with my brand new China built scooter and it may have some insight for you China tires.
To Quote
"Tire (Major Maintenance Item) Maintentance content 1. Check air pressure of the tire, please use barometer to measure air pressure","When air pressure is insufficient, please aerate it.","Consequence of lack of maintenance *When air pressure of tire is insufficient, tire, wheel net might be damaged, oil consumption increases. * If tire is worn too much, it tends to explode, which influences safety"

Obviously you guys can confirm the 'Explodes' does 'influence travel safety' part. Did your oil consumption increase?

Here's to better luck!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #228
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV
I was just reading the maintenance manual that came with my brand new China built scooter and it may have some insight for you China tires.
To Quote
"Tire (Major Maintenance Item) Maintentance content 1. Check air pressure of the tire, please use barometer to measure air pressure","When air pressure is insufficient, please aerate it.","Consequence of lack of maintenance *When air pressure of tire is insufficient, tire, wheel net might be damaged, oil consumption increases. * If tire is worn too much, it tends to explode, which influences safety"

Obviously you guys can confirm the 'Explodes' does 'influence travel safety' part. Did your oil consumption increase?

Here's to better luck!
I see the problem you had Brian. I bet 10-1 you used a tire pressure gage to measure your tire pressure instead of the correct "barometer", didn't you? And, I bet you never aerated your tires either!

Really, who do they have proof reading their manuals!
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #229
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
The plate and sticker on the side of my 23 says 50 psi cold. Is the recommended tire pressure a function of trailer weight/size?

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:57 PM   #230
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Brian, 80psi sounds high not for the tire as much as your AS.

Can you take a pic of those tires on the ground, a side & front view.

You know when you overinflate you make your footprint smaller which I was told can effect braking and traction in general, less rubber in contact with the road.

What does your unit weigh?

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #231
_

. , .
hi moosetags...

great trip!

with the E rated maxxis, 80 psi is the maximum inflation pressure...

at maximum load!

IF you weighed the trailer, your IDEAL tire pressure will be based on weight....

maxxis has a table of inflation pressures with incremental changes as mass increases.

check their website, weigh the trailer and set pressures...

depending on how many cheetos and rock momentos...

ideal tire pressue may be 55 to 70 psi...

happy travels!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #232
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
Would 80 PSI be appropriate for the Goodyears also? I know the higher the tire pressure the less flexing of the sidewall and the less heat build-up from rolling down the road and, therefore, the manufacturers will rate the tires for higher speeds. (BTW, I'm not promoting speed here, just trying to gain knowledge)
80 would not be appropriate for the Goodyears. 65 is the max pressure listed on the side of the tire. 80 will overstress the Goodyears.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #233
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
If the max. is 65PSI, which it is on my tires also. I assume that would be cold. What would the pressure be at 65mph at 83 degrees if he started out cold at 65. Well over the max. recommended. Right?
Old 06-12-2007, 06:43 PM   #234
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
If the max. is 65PSI, which it is on my tires also. I assume that would be cold. What would the pressure be at 65mph at 83 degrees if he started out cold at 65. Well over the max. recommended. Right?
Yes cold, but cold at 83 degrees the tires are still set in this senario at 65psi.

But when the tires are hot after driving they may be 68-70, but that's all fine, just don't reset them hot to 65psi.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:44 PM   #235
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
According to the Goodyear Marathon service bulletin the max pressure is 65 lbs. and max speed rating is 65 mph. But here is their quote...

Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load. Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph. The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Anyway you have us all wondering about our tires now, Moose! Let's get back to the trip.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:17 PM   #236

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo
According to the Goodyear Marathon service bulletin the max pressure is 65 lbs. and max speed rating is 65 mph. But here is their quote...

Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load. Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph. The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Anyway you have us all wondering about our tires now, Moose! Let's get back to the trip.
None of my Airstream information addresses this issue. The only thing my Airstream Manual says about tire inflation is to inflate the tires to 65 psi.
I usually drive around 65 mph, but going down a long hill, old Lucy sometimes gets up to 75 mph. If this would cause tire failure, the tires are unsafe junk.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:30 PM   #237
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Citrus Heights , California
So lets get back to the FUN stuff!

I'm waiting for some more great photo's, as far as the tires go, this bout sums it up
Attached Images

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:39 PM   #238

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We broke camp this morning in a pouring down rain. We tried to wait it out, but no dice, we wanted to get going.

We finally got on the road around 11:00 AM, and headed east on I-90. We decided to take a slight detour and go by Devils Tower. It was still raining, so we decided to take a quick look and continue to Rapid City.

The rain finally subsided as we approached Rapid City. We finally arrived at the Happy Holiday RV Park on the south end of Rapid City about 5:00 PM. We plan to stay here three or four nights, and travel out from here in Olivia to see the sites in this area. The weather is supposed to clear tomorrow, we are going to head to Badlands National Park.

This is a really neat campground. Most of the sites have a covered table patio.

We ventured out tonight to Wal-mart for some supplies, and had supper at the Golden Corral. Aren't we an exciting pair? We did get back to Lucy in time for Jay Leno.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2082.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	39085   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2084.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	39086  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2087.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	39087   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2089.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	39088