Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We went last year. Left TN the first of June and returned the first week in July. No issues with mosquitoes at all, except in Montana. The further north you go the shorter the days get. Bring sleeping masks or have some way to block out the light. In some places it never got fully dark.

From Banff, stay on 1 until Lake Louise. Be sure to go see the lake. Get there early. You can dry camp right outside the park. Huge parking area there. Go see the lake and get the heck out of there. It is a zoo after 9 am on weekends.

After leaving LL, take 93 aka Icefields Parkway to Jasper. From there take 16 to hwy 40 to Grand Prairie and then 43 to Dawson Creek. This is the start of the Alaskan Hwy. Be sure to stop for the required photo in front of the sign.

We had no issues with fuel other than the cost. Plan on paying cash with Canadian dollars. We got the best exchange rate at the Canadian banks ATM machines. We did stop at our bank in Montana and bought $1000 Canadian cash. That cost us $800 and change. Wells Fargo charges more than the exchange rate. When refueling, you will have to pay in advance. Our procedure was for Sharon to go inside with the cash and wait there while I refueled. I never left any sizable town with less than half a tank. We were getting 26 mpg, so if you get substantially less you might want to top off more often.

Liard Springs is definitely a must see. It is NOT free. They charge a day use fee unless you are camping there. We arrived there about lunch time so didn't camp. There is a bison herd in the area so be careful around them.

There are Walmarts in most of the larger towns but they are small/medium sized and some do not have full grocery stores.

You will need to decide where you will cross over into Canada. We crossed over directly from Glacier NP to Waterton Lakes. This is a lesser used crossing and we were second in line at the border. Be prepared for the 20 questions game. They are very interested in your firearms. They seem to think that all Americans carry all their weapons with them 24/7. They seem surprised and somewhat skeptical that we did not have any guns with us. They also want to know about the alchohol and cash that you have with you. Research the rules for fresh meat, fruits and vegetables. The only time it was an issue was coming back into the states for the final time. We had to give up some tomatoes.

Must sees are Homer, Seward and Valdez. In Seward take the all day boat trip. I think you saw my trip report and pictures. That boat trip was the highpoint of the trip. Cinnamon buns from Sweet Cheeks bakery in Valdez was next. They are baked and served from a converted Airstream. Very nice couple running the stand.

Be prepared for lots of road construction in Canada, especially in the Yukon. They will tear up 20 miles of road at a whack and you will be driving on gravel. Go slow and move over as far as you can when oncoming trucks approach. They do not slow down and they spray rocks everywhere.

We had a great time on our trip. We plan to return and spend more time in BC and hit some of the towns on the Cassiar that we missed due to vehicle problems.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #122
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Cash vs Credit Cards in Canada

We have traveled to Alaska in 2015 and 2018. We never used cash for purchasing fuel, groceries and lots of other supplies, but used a credit card with no international fees and found the exchange rate was better than the banks charge for cash exchange. As for cash, we investigated and found that getting cash with a debit card at an ATM machine at a bank in Canada gives the best exchange rate even though you will pay a nominal charge for the ATM and your home bank. This is why we usually will try to withdraw once on a trip for the expected cash purchases. We found that banks in the USA are a big rip off when doing an exchange. We have done ATM withdrawals in Canada and Europe at bank ATM machines and found it to be the most economical way to get cash.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstalzer View Post
We have traveled to Alaska in 2015 and 2018. We never used cash for purchasing fuel, groceries and lots of other supplies, but used a credit card with no international fees and found the exchange rate was better than the banks charge for cash exchange. As for cash, we investigated and found that getting cash with a debit card at an ATM machine at a bank in Canada gives the best exchange rate even though you will pay a nominal charge for the ATM and your home bank. This is why we usually will try to withdraw once on a trip for the expected cash purchases. We found that banks in the USA are a big rip off when doing an exchange. We have done ATM withdrawals in Canada and Europe at bank ATM machines and found it to be the most economical way to get cash.

Dennis
We would have used our credit card but they charge a fee for each foreign purchase. Cash was far cheaper in our situation. YMMV.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
We would have used our credit card but they charge a fee for each foreign purchase. Cash was far cheaper in our situation. YMMV.
Many CC do not charge a fee for forign transactions/purchases. I have always used those CC's when traveling to Canada, Mexico, or Europe; never a fee.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:26 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Many CC do not charge a fee for forign transactions/purchases. I have always used those CC's when traveling to Canada, Mexico, or Europe; never a fee.
Yep, I’m sure there are many. I might have to look into that as we are planning to return to Canada this fall.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 PM   #126
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
We went to Alaska last year and had a blast:

Here is a brief rundown of our Alaskan itinerary. We stayed mainly at State, Provincial and National Parks. Commercial parks were mainly for laundry and ’spa’ nights (either free showers or unlimited showers and dump).

After leaving Fairbanks, we were beginning to want to be home. We travelled about 10,345 miles and were on the road about 108 days or so.

We followed the WBCCI for most of the trip, but it you trace this to theirs and Milepost, we were similar. WBCCI seemed to stay at a lot of commercial parks. If we really tried, we could have stayed and more Provincial/State Parks. Commercial CG's are not very fancy, but do have full hook-ups.

We brought a Honda 2000i generator with us and it was adequate. Early in the trip, I discovered that our fresh water tank had a leak. So I picked up 2 5 gallon water jerry cans, and all was good. I also brought along a full size spare for the truck, and a good set of tools.

There is a lot here, let me know if you any more questions.

DEPARTURE: 5/22
From Peculiar, MO with major stops at the following:

5/22: Nebraska City, SP (1)
5/23: Buffalo River SP, MN (1)
5/24: Fort A. Lincoln SP (1)
5/25: Theodore Roosevelt NP, (4)
5/29: KOA Billings (1)
5/30: Yellowstone/Rex Hale SP, (5)
6/4: Grand Tetons NP (4)
6/8: KOA Butte (1)
6/9: Glacier NP (3)
6/12: Waterton Lakes NP (1)
6/13: Deadman’s Flats PP (1)
6/14: Banff NP (4)
6/18: Jasper NP, (Jonas, 2)
6/20: Hinton KOA (1)
6/21: Tubby’s, Dawson Creek (2)
6/23: Bucking Horse PP, (1)
6/24: Tesla PP, (1)
6/25: Muncho Lake PP, (1)
6/26: Watson Lake PP, (1)
6/27: Teslin PP (2)
6/29: Caribou (Whitehorse) (3)
7/2: Tatchun Lake PP, (1)
7/3: McIntyre Park PP, (Mayo) (2)
7/5: Yukon River PP, (Dawson City) (3)
7/8: Chicken, (Free) (1)
7/9: Sourdough, (Tok) (1)
7/10: Grizzly Bear (1)
7/11: Liberty Falls SP, (Chitna) (4)
7/15: Blueberry SP, (Valdez) (2)
7/17: Palmer, (1)
7/18: Anchorage, JBER (7)
7/25: Seward CP (5)
7/30: Anchorage, JBER (2)
8/1: Willow SP (1)
8/2: Denali NP(5)
8/7: Fairbanks Parking Lot (1)
8/8: Bettles Lodge (2)
8/10: Ft. Wainwright (3)
8/13: Moon Lake SP (1)
8/14: Lake Creek SP (1)
8/15: Haines Jct, SP (1)
8/16: Haines, Oceanside (3)
8/19: Skagway, CP (2)
8/21: Whitehorse WM (1)
8/22: Big Creek, PP (1)
8/23: Kinaskan Lake Park, PP, (1)
8/24: Mezladin PP, (1)
8/25: Tyhee PP, (1)
8/26: Clear Creek, PP (1)
8/29: Centralia, Midway, (3)
9/1: Sunshine Mills Winery, The Dalles
9/2: Rest Area,
9/3: Willard Bay, SP, 149,
9/4: Western Hills, Carbon County,
9/5: Denver 150,000
9/6: Russell, KS
9/7: Home, 150,720, 10,345

National Parks Visited:

✓Theodore Roosevelt NP
✓Yellowstone NP
✓Grand Teton NP
✓Glacier NP
✓Waterton Lakes NP
✓Banff NP
✓Jasper NP
✓Wrangell-St. Elias NP
(Chitina, Kennicott/McCarthy)
✓Kenai Fjords
✓Denali
✓Kobuk Valley
✓Gates of the Arctic
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:37 AM   #127
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
drew05, I think your trip would be pretty close to what we will want to do. I saved it for future reference. We would just be starting from the other side of the state.
Thanks for sharing.
Jeff

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #128
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Jeff, we had only made two reservations for the whole trip, Denali and the trip to Bettles, both were made in April. A note about vehicle maintenance, there are not many dealers in Canada, and few if any have any sort of "express lanes". Alaska was marginally better. I would strongly suggest having a major routine maintenance (ie. 60k) completed prior to leaving. I would also look at your tires and consider new ones if you and your dealer have doubts about getting 10-15,000 rough miles out of them. Within 30 days of leaving, we had major scheduled service (PM) completed, along with minor repairs, and a new set of tires. Yes it was a little expensive, but we had no mechanical or drivability issues. We replaced Trixie's tires two years ago. PM me if you have any questions.

Good Luck, you will have fun!
Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #129
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by nryn View Post
If all goes well, I’ll be in Alaska for late July and most of August. Heading up on the AlCan to Fairbanks then to Denali and national parks south and west of there.
That's the route we are looking at also...from Denali down to Anchorage, and Homer...then back thru Anchorage to Tok, then to Bever Creek and Whitehorse...not sure return from their yet, but maybe same route as going up. Might be on same dates as you...as we get closer, maybe coordinate meeting up?
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
Old 03-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
We went to Alaska last year and had a blast:

Here is a brief rundown of our Alaskan itinerary. We stayed mainly at State, Provincial and National Parks. Commercial parks were mainly for laundry and ’spa’ nights (either free showers or unlimited showers and dump).

After leaving Fairbanks, we were beginning to want to be home. We travelled about 10,345 miles and were on the road about 108 days or so.

We followed the WBCCI for most of the trip, but it you trace this to theirs and Milepost, we were similar. WBCCI seemed to stay at a lot of commercial parks. If we really tried, we could have stayed and more Provincial/State Parks. Commercial CG's are not very fancy, but do have full hook-ups.

We brought a Honda 2000i generator with us and it was adequate. Early in the trip, I discovered that our fresh water tank had a leak. So I picked up 2 5 gallon water jerry cans, and all was good. I also brought along a full size spare for the truck, and a good set of tools.

There is a lot here, let me know if you any more questions.

DEPARTURE: 5/22
From Peculiar, MO with major stops at the following:

5/22: Nebraska City, SP (1)
5/23: Buffalo River SP, MN (1)
5/24: Fort A. Lincoln SP (1)
5/25: Theodore Roosevelt NP, (4)
5/29: KOA Billings (1)
5/30: Yellowstone/Rex Hale SP, (5)
6/4: Grand Tetons NP (4)
6/8: KOA Butte (1)
6/9: Glacier NP (3)
6/12: Waterton Lakes NP (1)
6/13: Deadman’s Flats PP (1)
6/14: Banff NP (4)
6/18: Jasper NP, (Jonas, 2)
6/20: Hinton KOA (1)
6/21: Tubby’s, Dawson Creek (2)
6/23: Bucking Horse PP, (1)
6/24: Tesla PP, (1)
6/25: Muncho Lake PP, (1)
6/26: Watson Lake PP, (1)
6/27: Teslin PP (2)
6/29: Caribou (Whitehorse) (3)
7/2: Tatchun Lake PP, (1)
7/3: McIntyre Park PP, (Mayo) (2)
7/5: Yukon River PP, (Dawson City) (3)
7/8: Chicken, (Free) (1)
7/9: Sourdough, (Tok) (1)
7/10: Grizzly Bear (1)
7/11: Liberty Falls SP, (Chitna) (4)
7/15: Blueberry SP, (Valdez) (2)
7/17: Palmer, (1)
7/18: Anchorage, JBER (7)
7/25: Seward CP (5)
7/30: Anchorage, JBER (2)
8/1: Willow SP (1)
8/2: Denali NP(5)
8/7: Fairbanks Parking Lot (1)
8/8: Bettles Lodge (2)
8/10: Ft. Wainwright (3)
8/13: Moon Lake SP (1)
8/14: Lake Creek SP (1)
8/15: Haines Jct, SP (1)
8/16: Haines, Oceanside (3)
8/19: Skagway, CP (2)
8/21: Whitehorse WM (1)
8/22: Big Creek, PP (1)
8/23: Kinaskan Lake Park, PP, (1)
8/24: Mezladin PP, (1)
8/25: Tyhee PP, (1)
8/26: Clear Creek, PP (1)
8/29: Centralia, Midway, (3)
9/1: Sunshine Mills Winery, The Dalles
9/2: Rest Area,
9/3: Willard Bay, SP, 149,
9/4: Western Hills, Carbon County,
9/5: Denver 150,000
9/6: Russell, KS
9/7: Home, 150,720, 10,345

National Parks Visited:

✓Theodore Roosevelt NP
✓Yellowstone NP
✓Grand Teton NP
✓Glacier NP
✓Waterton Lakes NP
✓Banff NP
✓Jasper NP
✓Wrangell-St. Elias NP
(Chitina, Kennicott/McCarthy)
✓Kenai Fjords
✓Denali
✓Kobuk Valley
✓Gates of the Arctic
We are thinking 5-6 weeks round trip from MT...not sure if that is enough time? Your info was great! we are thinking boondocking along the route when possible to save $$ Sounds like you may have done same? Wife is wondering if you had some guidance on your costs for overnight stays, etc along the way you can share?
Old 03-18-2019, 04:32 PM   #131
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
With a trailer, we were on the road 8 weeks. Before that we took two six week trips. Travel with a trailer is slower, but we also wanted to make sure we saw everything we had missed on the first two trips.

I hate to have to make reservations, but as more people travel, it has become more and more necessary, especially on weekends. I have spent a lot of time every several days looking up CG's up the road to find the one we would like the most. That requires internet and even in 2010 Canadian CG's were more likely to have wifi than in Alaska—and their wifi, though often satellite, was better than in the US. In some places we stayed at some pretty primitive CG's (I remember one with substantial dog leavings somewhere along the Alaska Hwy). That is just part of the adventure.

I don't know the status of phone networks. On some phones you can change the chip that controls which network you are on. I understand there are stores for that near the border in some places, but haven't had to check further for a while. Several years ago when we used Verizon, we had some Canada deal on phone, but internet was very expensive on the system. We have a different provider now and haven't been in Canada since, so I am ignorant.

You will find when at gas stations and other places along the highway, you will be told by others of problems up ahead. You may also be informed of ripoff gas stations along the way. If no one says anything, ask them. For example, British Columbia had chip sealed a portion of the Alaska Hwy and then it rained. The tar didn't dry for days and everyone got splattered with tar spots. It took me days to clean it off when we got home. We were warned, but the alternatives were to wait for a day or two, or drive slowly and hope for the best. Imagine if you were on a motorcycle—we saw a guy who was and he was livid as well as splattered.

Brian and SuEllen have been to many remote places in the lower 48, so I am sure they will be ready and it will be just more of what they have done so often. If you have not traveled to remote places, it just takes planning.

New tires are expensive and we were lucky that we already had good tires or were ready to replace them anyway. I use ten ply (E load range) on our SUV, truck and we did on the Airstream too (that only makes sense if you tow many, many miles in the 5-8 years the tires are good). Most roads are paved, but if you are more of an adventurer there are gravel and dirt roads. Our three trips averaged 10,000 miles, so take that into consideration when deciding about tires. A good 10 ply Michelin (the tread may be 1/2" thick when new) can last 60,000 miles or more, so if it half worn, you are still in fairly good shape, especially if you mostly stay on pavement. I find Michelins have excellent traction even when on their last miles. The worst thing about worn tires is they get punctured more easily. I would not leave home without a tire repair kit (I did have to use it when 100 miles from a tire repair shop) and a compressor. Ones that plug into the cigarette lighter take forever to fill a tire. I found one at Costco for around $60 that attached to a truck battery and works a lot better. You can also buy a windshield ding repair kit and seal them before they grow. I also bring enough tools to take apart a locomotive, though it is important to know how to use them. Some things break a lot—drawer latches fail frequently and cost a lot on the road. An assortment of screws and the various products that keep the screws from loosening are good. Also a variety of fuses. Cones and reflectors are good since trailers may not get far enough off the road when stuck. Spare wheel bearings and wheel bearing grease may be needed—if you know how to change them. Although frequent repacking was advised, I never did it before each 18,000 miles without a problem.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #132

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thank you for your insight, Gene. We are still trying to plan some aspects of the Alaska trip. We are experienced in taking Lucy to remote locations, but we have never been very big on planning trips. In the past, we have generally gone where the winds and whims have taken us.

As to the tire situation, Lillian has her OEM 10 ply Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's. She now has 24,000 miles on her, and the tread on her tires is still very good and wearing evenly. Lucy has a set of 16" Michelin LT's that are 4 1/2 years old and have 48,000 miles on them. Lucy's tires show very little tread wear.

Our thoughts are that we can make the Alaska trip on our current tires. We would like to use these tires up on this trip, and get the girls all new tires upon our return from Alaska.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #133
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
We are planning Alaska this summer. Target date leaving June 1st. Our route is below. There may be lots of side trips. Our plan is to be gone 2 to 3 months.

Wisconsin to Fairbanks
through MN into ND
enter Canada at Portal, ND
Start the Alaska Hwy at Dawson Creek, BC
End of the Alaska Hwy at Delta Junction, AK
Continue on the Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks

Side trip from Fairbanks to Arctic Circle

Fairbanks to Denali

Denali to Anchorage

Anchorage to Homer

Ferry or fly Homer to Kodiak

Homer to Seward

Seward to Whittier

Ferry Whittier to Valdez

Valdez to Tok

Tok to Haines

Ferry Haines to Skagway

Skagway to Hyder

Hyder to Jasper BC

Jasper BC to Banff BC

Banff BC to Great Falls ND

Great Falls ND to Home
Old 03-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #134
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeocamperAS View Post
We are planning Alaska this summer. Target date leaving June 1st. Our route is below. There may be lots of side trips. Our plan is to be gone 2 to 3 months.

Wisconsin to Fairbanks
through MN into ND
enter Canada at Portal, ND
Start the Alaska Hwy at Dawson Creek, BC
End of the Alaska Hwy at Delta Junction, AK
Continue on the Richardson Hwy to Fairbanks

Side trip from Fairbanks to Arctic Circle

Fairbanks to Denali

Denali to Anchorage

Anchorage to Homer

Ferry or fly Homer to Kodiak

Homer to Seward

Seward to Whittier

Ferry Whittier to Valdez

Valdez to Tok

Tok to Haines

Ferry Haines to Skagway

Skagway to Hyder

Hyder to Jasper BC

Jasper BC to Banff BC

Banff BC to Great Falls ND

Great Falls ND to Home
Great Falls, ND ?? or you mean Great Falls, MT...(my birth place, by the way.) Curious if you have any data on the Ferry costs?
Old 03-29-2019, 07:37 AM   #135

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We plan to visit Denali National Park. We have read information about the various park tours available. We are looking for recommendations from experienced park visitors.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #136
AlaskaElaine

1972 31' Sovereign
Ninilchik , Alaska
Hello, AlaskaElaine here. I live in the interior of Alaska, just 11 miles north of the Denali Park road. Best time to visit, depending on what you enjoy - seeing baby moose - June ( most moose are born end of May to middle of June) DO NOT APPROACH THEM, mama moose can stomp you to death in a heartbeat. Fishing is better in July. Wildlife viewing can be good as well. August for berries and start of autumn color. ( yep, that early).

Deepwoods Off (dry) works great for keeping mosquitoes away. It’s those nasty no-see-um flies that are horrible. Not much snow in interior this year so probably not an overwhelming amount of bugs. The kenai peninsula (shameless plug for Ninilchik, my hometown) had quite a lot of snow so maybe more bugs there this year. Fun fact, the farthest west you can travel via connecting road to USA is located in Anchor Point. I think there is a sign near the school there. The kenai peninsula is a must see, spectacular scenery. Go all the way to Homer-you will not be sorry. Seward has a great sea life center too. Up north via Parks highway, Talkeetna, waysides where you might see the majestic Denali, in cantwell is access to Denali highway. Wonderful but all gravel. If you can park the trailer and just do a day trip (albeit a long day) you can go the 130 miles to Paxson and then back in same day. There is one or two lodges along the way but be sure you have a spare tire. No cellular service. Then north from cantwell to Denali Park, Healy, Fairbanks, and you could then go down Alaska highway and head home. Just my two cents. Born, raised and live here. Feel free to ask me questions. Have fun!!!
AlaskaElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:38 AM   #137
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Drive up to the Grand Denali Restaurant and have s Denali Burger. Best Burger ever!

The bus rides into the park are informative. We did the half day trip.

We also did a glacier landing from the air service in Healy. It was a ride of a lifetime.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_193849.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	336844Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_193721.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	336845

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:43 AM   #138
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Talkeetna

For the trip of a lifetime, we recommend a flight into the Alaska range around Denali with a landing on a glacier. We did it with Talkeetna Air Taxi. You will never see more magnificent scenery or more majestic mountains. Yes, it was expensive, but the flight will live with us forever. Pictures, too, of course.
wkk5dl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:47 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaElaine View Post
Hello, AlaskaElaine here. I live in the interior of Alaska, just 11 miles north of the Denali Park road. Best time to visit, depending on what you enjoy - seeing baby moose - June ( most moose are born end of May to middle of June) DO NOT APPROACH THEM, mama moose can stomp you to death in a heartbeat. Fishing is better in July. Wildlife viewing can be good as well. August for berries and start of autumn color. ( yep, that early).

Deepwoods Off (dry) works great for keeping mosquitoes away. It’s those nasty no-see-um flies that are horrible. Not much snow in interior this year so probably not an overwhelming amount of bugs. The kenai peninsula (shameless plug for Ninilchik, my hometown) had quite a lot of snow so maybe more bugs there this year. Fun fact, the farthest west you can travel via connecting road to USA is located in Anchor Point. I think there is a sign near the school there. The kenai peninsula is a must see, spectacular scenery. Go all the way to Homer-you will not be sorry. Seward has a great sea life center too. Up north via Parks highway, Talkeetna, waysides where you might see the majestic Denali, in cantwell is access to Denali highway. Wonderful but all gravel. If you can park the trailer and just do a day trip (albeit a long day) you can go the 130 miles to Paxson and then back in same day. There is one or two lodges along the way but be sure you have a spare tire. No cellular service. Then north from cantwell to Denali Park, Healy, Fairbanks, and you could then go down Alaska highway and head home. Just my two cents. Born, raised and live here. Feel free to ask me questions. Have fun!!!

Thanks AlaskaElaine. Great info.

Thanks Moosetags for starting this thread.

Target date to leave Wisconsin is June 1st. No return date set. Hopefully we will still be there to see the Northern lights.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:59 PM   #140
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The best campground is the one twenty some miles inside the park. If you have reservations, you get a pass to drive to it. You also get a better deal on bus fees. The bus is a necessary evil. Traffic would be awful otherwise. We got reservations two weeks before we went to the park, but maybe we were lucky. We did see the whole mountain, something many do not see. It is the largest mountain I have ever seen.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote