Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #81
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
For the record - winter camping is great! Mostly we have used hike-or-ski-in cabins for same, not the AS, yet.
Winter camping may be great, but not so much in an Airstream. It is a three season trailer with inadequate and old fashioned insulation. Single pane windows guarantee cold near them and will ask for insulation on both sides. The ribs transmit cold through the inner and outer skins easily and so do all the penetrations. It can be done, but closing in underneath with a tight seal and insulation is necessary plus a heated hose for water, and a heated sewer hose would be a good idea too. While the water tanks are heated, they are not insulated and below 10˚ (and maybe higher) I would expect ice starting to form at the bottoms and climbing up the sides. A while after we bought ours, I discovered the access plate to one tank was missing, making all the heat blown in there heating the outside. The access plates fit badly and were not sealed at the edges.

There have been threads in the past about winter camping. I recall a couple who wintered at the south rim of the Grand Canyon several years ago during a rather bad winter. They did it, knew how to do it, but preparation and flexibility are necessary. Others have done so at job sites and some wished they had never tried it. I'm sure you can survive for several days, but when the temperature gets below zero or even higher, the challenges include the use of lots and lots of propane and a complete supply of sweaters. Some trailers are made for four season camping such as Arctic Fox and Nash (at least some of them).

A trip to Alaska from May to October may possibly run into some severe weather at each end of the calendar, but it would be unusual if it lasted too long (you can run into that in Colorado too). That's not the same as winter camping.

I have fantasized about going to NW Canada and Alaska in winter. I expect it would be beautiful and quite an adventure. I doubt we would find a lot of services or campgrounds open. We now have a four season trailer with lots of foam insulation and thermal pane windows. In summer it does not get as hot as our Airstream got and the A/C does not have to work as hard. When I mention to my wife about traveling to the north in winter, it takes me approximately 5 seconds to understand that's never going to happen.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave503 View Post
Hi Alan,

Can you point me to the user who taped Reflectix on the front of their trailer for the trip to Alaska? I'd like to know what tape they used, how it held up and how messy it was to take off. I am snow camping every weekend and looking for a way to fight the condensation problem. Someone suggest reflectix on the outside was way better than on the inside. I could use the road protection too!

Thanks,
--Jason

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...m_medium=email
Hi, I did, and I used Stucco tape. The problem was that I had precut all of the pieces of bubble insulation ahead of time; Then when we decided that we needed it, we installed it. We were on the side of the road with wet towels wiping the dust off of the skin and being eaten alive by mosquitoes at the same time. I chose stucco tape because it stick well, sized like Duct tape, and easy to remove. But somehow rain water got under some of it and it was coming loose. I re-secured the bubble wrap with duct tape and it held. Removing the glue from the duct tape was a nightmare. I still think the stucco tape would work better if you have a clean and dry trailer, at home, when you install it.

Lastly, we still received some rock dings, but it would have been much worse without any protection.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:58 AM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Spaceliner
Portland , Oregon
Thanks guys, I did a shell-off restore on my '61 Spaceliner so it is very well insulated and heat is not a problem. However I have the original single pane windows and a polished interior so I get a lot of condensation. Someone said taping reflectix to the outside of the windows was a magic bullet for condensation around the windows which is where it is worst by far. But I have dealt with regular duct tape residue before and I would rather live with the condensation. Wonder if aluminum tape would come off easier. Plus it would look great. Sorry to highjack, it was supposed to be a PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:17 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Interesting articles last year and also in recent issue of Trailer Life on going to Alaska with trailer. This months features taking the Alaskan Highway...aka the Ferry at least one way...you can get off in various stops along the way and camp...sounded interesting, and maybe expensive...but wear and tear plus fuel savings may be worth a compute...they did not compare charges...perhaps someone here can chime in? We are still very interested in going this year..

One thing I have noticed for sure is the folks who have gone 3 years ago or longer may not have latest info on the roads...important to look at dates folks have done this so we get recent road/camp information..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #85
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The ferry has shortcomings. Most car ferries have a big door on each end, so you drive in one entrance and out the other. But because Alaska state ferries have to use narrow passages, they can't always be docked head-on, so you enter through a big side door in the bow and exit either through it or one across from it—that means you will have to back in or back out. The lanes are narrow and backing must be straight. Even with an SUV it can be daunting. People are giving you directions, but are impatient, sometimes contradict each other and forget this may be your first time. We never took a trailer onboard, but have taken several ferries, with and without a vehicle. You can take a BC ferry part way, at least to Ketchikan, from Vancouver or Victoria, and perhaps farther, and they should be easier to use, but I don't know you can get to a place with a road that goes more than 10 or 20 miles. I'd look into that. Ferry prices for a towed vehicle are high and while you may save some money, you'll miss the experience of driving to Alaska and seeing the strange and wonderful things on the way. And there are no mooses on the ferry.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:33 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airwave503 View Post
Thanks guys, I did a shell-off restore on my '61 Spaceliner so it is very well insulated and heat is not a problem. However I have the original single pane windows and a polished interior so I get a lot of condensation. Someone said taping reflectix to the outside of the windows was a magic bullet for condensation around the windows which is where it is worst by far. But I have dealt with regular duct tape residue before and I would rather live with the condensation. Wonder if aluminum tape would come off easier. Plus it would look great. Sorry to highjack, it was supposed to be a PM.

Just FYI I am a nuclear Pipefitter. Duct tape is not allowed at nukes. We use vinyl tape. Easy to use because it leave no residue and hold just as well
Old 01-26-2019, 07:25 AM   #87
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Micanopy , Florida
Morning all,
Intercoastal waterway is beautiful and one of those "roads" I think all should travel. Due to lack of staterooms my son and I actually camped on top deck by the solarium for our voyage. (1994).
We, my better half and I, plus our cattle dog ,Sadie B, considered it this past summer while we were traveling the northern frontiers. We opted out for the following reasons
1). Cost, by the foot. Longer you get, more money....pretty sire we saved by driving back down. Depending on where your from, if you travel all the way down the Alaska Highway, your a whole bunch farther east than Bellingham, where the ferry docks at the end or waterway
2) Got pet? Pets are not allowed on the deck of ferry. They must remain in your vehicle for entire trip. You are allowed on freight deck twice a day. It was 15 to 30 minutes to check , feed, and walk on freight deck. Bring plenty paper towels as you are reguired to pick up waste. I would think urine is a chore! And could you imagine the inside of your camper after a cattle dog has been cooped for 3days?
The no pet was the killer for us. If you decide yes, book early, as I mentioned, when I went in 94, there was room for our motorcycles....but we camped on the top deck!
Whichever....enjoy! An amazing area
Rick H
Offack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 08:43 AM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
We are headed to Alaska this summer. And we be in Washington in the middle of June. Is 20 days enough time to get from Seattle to Tok by way of West Access to Alkan? That's approximately 100 miles a day. I'm trying to set a date for Tek and not be rushed.

John
TexAirS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #89
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
John,

One hundred miles a day may be too few. Facilities along the Alaska Hwy can be many miles apart. If you take the Cassier Hwy, they were even farther apart in 2010. Best to get a copy of the Milepost and check out where the fuel stops are, campgrounds, etc. If you have physical limits that make it hard to travel further/day, this may not be the trip for you.

Old 01-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #90
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
Physical capabilities is not a problem. We try to keep the hauls to under 200 miles. Nearly 26,000 tow miles in the last two years.

I've got 12 days scheduled from Seattle to Tok. About 170 miles a day. I've read the pace will be slower. Plan on 40 to 50 mph. I guess if we stop to sight see, we will make it up down the road.

The Milepost (2017) and online is a great help. From Larrabee SP, WA to Denali by the Alkan and back down the Cassier to Glacier NP is about 250 rows of info in Excel. Lots of things to do and don't want to miss too many. And have the time to.

If anyone want to see this info, let me know. Maybe you can suggest spots.

Thanks for the info,

John
Old 01-27-2019, 10:26 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Gas stations.

Hi, something else for a few of you to think about, gas stations. Some times there are huge distances between gas stations. And even being from California, the gas prices were shockingly high. We stopped at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. There were only four pumps. Here in lies the problem: two pumps were for diesel and the other two pumps were for 87 octane regular. My, at the time, tow vehicle required 92 octane premium.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #92
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I carried two five gallon containers of gas with us on our last trip and never used them. But I felt better having them. You can carry US (cheaper) gas into Canada and use it there instead of more expensive Canadian gas, but I don't think we bothered to do that. 170 miles a day is more reasonable for this trip. For long stretches you will drive through an endless forest and want to keep going a lot further in a day. People who travel the northern highways frequently try to go as far as possible to get to their destinations and can drive 1,000 miles—with long days, that is easier. We had no problem going faster than 50-55. The roads in Canada are generally in very good shape (better than a lot of US states). Once you get far enough north, frost heaves and broken pavement are problems in some places. That will slow you down and drive you close to insanity, but most people get through it. Canada is pretty good at fixing the roads fairly soon and you will run into construction projects, some for many miles. It will be bumpy and slow and there are no alternate routes—expect some of that. Alaska roads get fixed, but it seems to take longer. With the permafrost line moving north, some places have lost their support from ancient frost melting, but eventually they catch up with it. Most roads are chip seal since it is cheaper to build and repair, so frost tears it up pretty fast. Trying to build roads over permafrost and especially melting permafrost is difficult and highway departments have struggled with it for a very long time. For the most part, the Alaska and Cassier Highways and fast and an easy, but very long drive.

Our Toyotas have all used 87 octane, but it can be difficult sometimes to find midrange or premium or regular. And gas is very expensive and fuel will be the biggest part of your trip budget. Going to the north country is not cheap and cost us around a dollar a mile in all expenses together. Everything costs more there.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:21 PM   #93
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Not a fan of carrying any gas, let alone 10+ gallons, in the back of a truck on a long trip for days at a time. Just me, but I will pay the extra cost and plan accordingly where I stop to fuel up. If you did have an accident with a lot of gas, in containers in the back, no telling what might happen. I know they make "safe gas containers", but just saying....perhaps consider a larger replacment tank if that's really a concern for your stock vehicle tank not holding enough? My tank holds 34 gallons...I try to fill it when I get down to 1/2 tank...that's a good time to stretch anyway...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
Just FYI I am a nuclear Pipefitter. Duct tape is not allowed at nukes. We use vinyl tape. Easy to use because it leave no residue and hold just as well

That’s comforting.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:55 PM   #95
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Fuel was not an issue on our caravan last year. Prices are high in Alaska and higher in Canada. When you are in remote areas, get fuel when you can, not when you need to.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I carried a five gallon gas can on the trailer's tongue. It was for emergencies or my generator. For 50 days and over 10,000 miles [Alaska trip] I never used the spare gas. I never used my generator. And I never used my television.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-29-2019, 11:29 AM   #97
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I wouldn't carry a gas can inside an SUV or truck cabin. Escaped odors worry me more because they are toxic and quite explosive if the concentration gets high enough—the explosive part is unlikely, but most disasters are unlikely. Thus, no gas in an enclosed cabin. Diesel is a lot less explosive, but the fumes are probably nasty for the human lungs too. I carry fuel in the truck bed and tie it in with bungie cords. Never spilled a drop and the tonneau leaks plenty of air to get rid of fumes. Carrying gas on the tongue above the batteries (I know, not all Airstreams have batteries mounted between the tongue) seems to be not the best idea.

One thing is clear, some of us carry extra fuel, but no one seems to use it. One time in Montana I did have to use the extra fuel—note that is not northern Canada or Alaska, but in the lower 48. You can save some money by using US gas in Canada, but I didn't because the gas can is heavy and takes a long time to drain into the gas tank. I call that senior laziness. But there are lots of less visited places on an Alaska trip and I'm sure Moosetags will be exploring them. That's where extra fuel is needed and I'm pretty sure they will be bringing some. Otherwise, it is nice to know if a gas station with the right fuel is not close enough, or is out of fuel, or the price is even higher than anywhere else, I have a backup with me. Thus, extra fuel is a form of Prozac and a lot cheaper. Our Tundra has the small gas tank and normally that is not such a big deal because stopping and walking around while getting gas is a good idea. I have a bad habit of driving hundreds of miles without stopping and then feeling welded to the seat and barely able to peal myself onto the earth. I guess I am one of the men who tries to circumnavigate the planet while driving. Fortunately Barb drives a lot and saves me from myself.

As for removing duct tape, Buffalo Bob long ago alerted me and others to the easiest solvent to remove the glue—WD-40. Still takes some rubbing, but it works pretty well.

Old 01-29-2019, 03:24 PM   #98
3 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Leander , Texas
I guess diesel is readily available north. I have a 36 gallon tank and average 13.5 mpg while towing. Price around $5 per gallon? And being from West Texas, I know to fill up early and often.

My wife just read bringing fresh fruits and vegetables in to Canada is a no no. And handguns are not allowed. I'm sure as soon as the Canadians see the TX plates they'll be looking for guns. They did an extensive search the last time we crossed and didn't find any.

Going into a state park outside of D.C., the camp host saw the TX plates and asked if we were Cowboy fans. Wasn't sure if he was going to let us in. We're Texan fans by the way.

We are planning to stock up on staples in WA. Thought a spiral cut cooked ham might take care of a lot of lunches.

John
ps no oil well in the back yard, either
Old 02-16-2019, 07:34 AM   #99

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
As we continue planning for Lucy's Alaska Adventure, we have come across another issue that we are unsure about. What kind of mud flaps would you recommend for our tow vehicle which is a 2018 Sliverado 2500?

Brain
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 08:12 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
2008 20' Safari
Prescott Valley , Arizona
I’ve been using Rock Tamers for years, they work great. When we went to Alaska I also put mud flaps on my AS to protect the step and dump valves.
AIRTRVL is offline   Reply With Quote