Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #61

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
Well, the upholstery looks right up your alley...

Shari
Having mooses on the upholstery didn't hurt.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:02 AM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
Let me be the first to suggest a name for the new addition whichever one you end up with. How about "Ricky" ?
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:45 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Here I am lovin' your trip this year.
Thought about you when I saw some Moose, "Beanie Baby" type toys in the local Camper World. They were on the sale shelf and listed as doggie toys.....actually pretty nice if your into that.

So, you went thru Boise. Did you know about the gold treasure and the great associated story....where the Santa Fe Trail water stop in the Boise area is? Very interesting story....made better when your standing out there.

As I mentioned before, I worked for the Forestry Dept. on a Trail Crew in the Big Horns. If you have a chance look into Lake Solitude and Cloud Peak. I hear that they have put in a RV camping spot and trails up that way.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 AM   #64

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosm1o View Post
Let me be the first to suggest a name for the new addition whichever one you end up with. How about "Ricky" ?
As we usually use girl names for our rolling stock, we we thinking that the new truck camped should be named Ethel. We are creating a dilemma, though. Should the truck have a separate name from the tuck camper?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:21 AM   #65

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Here I am lovin' your trip this year.
Thought about you when I saw some Moose, "Beanie Baby" type toys in the local Camper World. They were on the sale shelf and listed as doggie toys.....actually pretty nice if your into that.

So, you went thru Boise. Did you know about the gold treasure and the great associated story....where the Santa Fe Trail water stop in the Boise area is? Very interesting story....made better when your standing out there.

As I mentioned before, I worked for the Forestry Dept. on a Trail Crew in the Big Horns. If you have a chance look into Lake Solitude and Cloud Peak. I hear that they have put in a RV camping spot and trails up that way.
We did not know about the Boise City history. We were not even aware that Boise City was on the Santa Fe Trail. Also. thanks for the tip on Lake Solitude.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Alexander City , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
You are pretty close to Rocky Mountain NP and Estes Park—lots and lots of elk. The Peak to Peak Hwy goes from Estes Park to Nederland and then you can go east to Boulder, or south to Golden. Lots of old mining towns in the mountains. The snow has started to melt off faster here on the western slope as temps have gotten into the 70's and the rivers are creeks are running fairly high.
Gene
We were in Estes and RMNP last October. It is a beautiful drive along Trail Ridge Road (without Lucy in tow).

Gene is right on target when he says lots of elk. They were in the middle of the rut when we were there.

If you are musically inclined, check out the Red Rocks Amphitheatre. It is an incredible open-air venue less than 30 minutes west of Denver. Some of the biggest acts in history have played at this historic venue including The Beatles, U2, Grateful Dead, Jimi Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, Neil Young, and more.

As you can see there is plenty to do in and around Denver. It is such a wonderful part of the country. On a side note I firmly believe they had that Outfitter reupholstered once they knew you were coming...
MicroAir Soft starters, SeeLevel Tank monitor, Maxim Skylights
~ Slide Out Society #089 ~
Tyrinius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM   #67
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The NY Times had a long article on Boise City on May 4 (I'm a little behind in my reading). The drought there has been difficult and small agricultural towns have been dying in the plains for a long time anyway.

Not only do you name your vehicles, but you name your generators too. Are they twins? If you name the truck too, remember Ethel will always be on top.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:39 AM   #68

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Thanx for the photos, David. They look great. We may head up that way.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #69

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
The NY Times had a long article on Boise City on May 4 (I'm a little behind in my reading). The drought there has been difficult and small agricultural towns have been dying in the plains for a long time anyway.

Not only do you name your vehicles, but you name your generators too. Are they twins? If you name the truck too, remember Ethel will always be on top.

Gene
That's true, Gene, the Oklahoma Panhandle towns are not looking real good. There are many empty commercial buildings. it's kind of sad. The ride through the Panhandle is almost eerie. I was reading that the population of the Oklahoma Panhandle comprises less than 1% of the state's population.

Yes, our Honda generators do have names (Amos and Leon) which are written on them boldly with a fat Sharpie. This is actually helpful as many times, we use just one. I like to rotate them, and they do look very much alike.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 AM   #70
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
That's true, Gene, the Oklahoma Panhandle towns are not looking real good. There are many empty commercial buildings. it's kind of sad. The ride through the Panhandle is almost eerie. I was reading that the population of the Oklahoma Panhandle comprises less than 1% of the state's population.
Couple that with the severe drought that's continuing to go on in that area (might have changed today, as they should be getting rain) but parts of west and NW Oklahoma have had 250+ consecutive days without any measurable amount of precipitation....many in the area are saying that it's just as bad as the dust bowl era.

It's really no surprise so many are leaving.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 PM   #71

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
We laid in today at the campground. It rained all day here in Denver. We called up to the Bighorn National Forest in Wyoming today. We found out that most of the roads in the Forest were still closed due to heavy snow. Accordingly, we have changed our travel plans. We have decided to head over to the Moab area in southeastern Utah. There is a lot to see in that area. There is Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park, and Dead Horse Point State Park. We will probably make camp with Lucy in Moab and make day trips into the parks with Olivia.

We are going to stay here in Denver one more day to finish up our truck camper shopping.

Here are a few more photos of the truck campers that we looked at yesterday.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6125.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	129658   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6115.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	129659  

Name:	DSCN6117.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	129660   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6120.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	129661  

2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Dead Horse Point SP is booked up pretty far in advance, but they may have some walk in spaces—better check.

Canyonlands is wonderful and the backcountry is even better. A large truck is a problem in the Needles back country—just getting in at Elephant Hill can be very difficult. Long overhangs (angle of departure) are one problem, size (length and width) another. Island in the Sky would be easier. The remote Maze District could be difficult too. We hiked down into the Maze on our honeymoon to see the famous Harvest Scene—rock art well over 1,000 years old and amazing to see. When we explored the area 20-25 years ago there weren't so many permits and limits, so you'd have to check on that. You can easily spend weeks at all the 3 districts, but to get into the backcountry you'd be better off with a small 4WD and a tent.

Arches main tourist areas are easily accessible and there are fairly accessible 4WD roads to explore too.

If you take the state highway from Cisco (128 ?) it's narrow along the Colorado River; just be careful. There are some boondocking campsites along the river east of Moab that are nice and you might luck out and get one on the river. Rivers are running high now, so it it starts raining a lot, run for the hills. There are commercial campgrounds in Moab. Several years ago we stayed at one a few blocks past the center of town on the north-south highway (191?) that was within walking distance of downtown stuff. It was on the east side and was fine if you want to be close to everything in town.

Gene
Old 05-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
As we usually use girl names for our rolling stock, we we thinking that the new truck camped should be named Ethel. We are creating a dilemma, though. Should the truck have a separate name from the tuck camper?

Brian
If you name the camper Ethel the truck has got to be Fred. Ethel was always on Fred's back, giving him a hard time!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #74

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Thanks for that info, Gene. We have printed your post to take with us. Are you saying that these places are too tight for the 4wd Suburban without Lucy?

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #75

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
If you name the camper Ethel the truck has got to be Fred. Ethel was always on Fred's back, giving him a hard time!
Thank you for the suggestion. SuEllyn really liked it, so it is done. The new truck camper will be Ethel, Lucy's new BFF, and the new truck will be Fred.

Brian
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
Old 05-12-2011, 10:22 AM   #76
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Brian, yes. The backcountry roads are jeep trails, but Island in the Sky seems be more accessible to large trucks.

Years ago we watched a Suburban bang the rear end on each part of the series of benches leading to the 4WD section of the Needles. He made it to the top (couldn't back down) and was soon back because the other side of Elephant Hill has a series of extremely tight switchbacks, one you have to back through.

The Maze takes a long time to get through—from Green River a long dirt road south. The Flint Trail down is kind of difficult (one switchback is probably too tight for a Suburban) and then hours of driving through slick rock and sand. The Maze is amazing and so is the Doll House.

The Needles District has a fair amount of area you can drive around easily, but the most spectacular parts are 4WD, hike or bike.

You can rent a jeep in Moab and make a day trip into the Needles—it'll be a long day and as I said, you need to check on permits beforehand. They have daily limits in backcountry, and weekend is coming up.

Arches backcountry had one bad area and some deep sand (drive aggressively on deep sand as if it were snow and don't stop).

Coming from Longmont, you should plan on getting to Grand Junction. Campgrounds from Glenwood Springs Rifle are often full with gas field workers. The one a few miles east of Glenwood along the Colorado R. is very difficult to get into or out of. There's one several miles east of Glenwood Canyon that is open—it's just a field between I-70 and the River, probably listed under Eagle. Grand Jct. has a KOA on US 50 east of town, but it always looks full. We have used one on the west side of town just west of I-70 and business route 70 that was in an industrial area, but acceptable. There may be a CG in Fruita, but I don't remember. After that, nothing until Moab. Get gas in GJ or Fruita because that's it until Moab. We are 2 hours (without towing) south of Glenwood, but won't be home tomorrow (we'll be in GJ). Got lots of space however. Let us know if you want to stop here or meet in GJ for lunch Friday. Still no mooses here—they don't care for piñon/juniper forest and sagebrush.

Gene
Old 05-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #77
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Fruita has a state park Take the visitor center exit and the park is just past The Dinosaur Museum on the right .I don't think they have electric they do have a dump station . Go to Colorado River State Parks Fruita section for more info.
Jo
Old 05-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #78
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The state park is between the Colorado River and I-70. Some people like it, some say road noise is bothersome. I think the railroad is nearby too.

There's a Welcome Center at Fruita with dump station. You have to go around some confusing traffic circles and if you go the wrong way, you not be alone. There's also a Welcome Center at Edwards (near Eagle) with bathrooms and maybe a dump station.

Gene
Old 05-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #79
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
We stayed at Rifle Gap State Park while westbound last spring. Scenic, nice town, a little bit of sightseeing east of the park -- Rifle Falls and Rifle Mountain Park (latter for a drive-through without trailer in tow). Watch out for pronghorn meeses crossing the dam.

Name:	Rifle Gap 2.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	129677 Click image for larger version

Name:	Rifle Gap.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	129676

Should have no trouble getting a drive-up spot ... can't say about the weekend. Sylvan Lake prolly is full.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:29 PM   #80
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Try to find time to go to the Horseshoe Canyon unit of Canyonlands. It hosts the Grand Gallery pictographs - I think they are the most spectacular anywhere. While you can boondock on blm land at the head of the trail, the road is too rough for me to take my rig. A better bet is to camp at Goblin Valley State Park (near the dirt road that leads to Horseshoe Canyon).

Goblin Valley is worth a trip on its own. I have posted pics before, or you can google.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote