Old 03-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is such a beloved place......very good to be here.

I haven't looked for coconuts overhead.....don't know what I would do if I found them, as scaling trees was one of Doug's areas.

Maggie

Old 03-09-2015, 09:06 AM   #30
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Careful Maggie, sounds like the low country is really starting to agree with you. Remember when it's summer and that craving for sweet corn hits you'll need to head way north for the great stuff. On the other hand can't beat the fresh shrimp.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:38 AM   #31
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Maggie, My old friend was still lurking near site 9 at Christmas. This photo of him was taken last spring when the weather was beautiful. Not so nice at Christmas. Jim
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1425910981.944013.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	233907

Also, on one of FAN's sites somewhere on here, there is a photo of Kathleen and I taken near the Interpretive Center.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gary, the Low-Country got into our blood the very first time we were here, in 08 or 09. I haven't cooked shrimp yet, in my solo act , but intend to do that while I am here. The biggest ones I can find. It's time.

Jim, your friend the driftwood dragon is still regal and strong here, not quiite directly behind my site. It is a very beach-y sihouette.

The former Piggly Wiggly here....affectionately known as The Pig....is now the Bi-Lo. Things change. Still a very decent, well-stocked little grocer, and about a 10 minute walk from the campground.

Tied Lily to a post out front, picked up a few things, and she was sitting wagging her tail at everyone who came by when I came out. Such a good girl.

A grocer, a liquor store, a True-Value, a couple of low-key restaurants, the entire area level enough that you can bike anywhere......what more does one need.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
salem , Oregon
We are in Palm Desert on our way home (Oregon) from Key West. We, like you Maggie, fell in love with low country Louisana, Al, and Florida. Wish it wasn't such a long drive for us. We had decided not to repeat for awhile but your photos draw us back! Did you have to make reservations at Edisto Beach SP a long time in advance? Love the live Oaks in your photos. We spent a day on Cumberland Island which was so interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 03-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I made this reservation, for two consecutive weeks, last summer.

Winter months are slow, and inexpensive, here, but from March on you want to make a reservation. In the summer, you are required to book at least a minimum of one week.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The first time Doug and I were at Edisto Beach, we saw a seagull snatch up a starfish from a tidal pool and eat one of its arms before our presence scared the gull off.

We were newly retired, just beginning to explore US beaches, and had never seen a starfish but in an aquarium.

We have never forgotten that starfish, talked about it many times, told the grands, etc.

A while ago, taking Lily for her third walk, and second time on the beach today , I was thinking " a year ago, on this day and at this very moment, everything had hit the fan....I was doing CPR, an ambulance was on its way, and my sweet hubby was essentially gone forever."

I was talking to him as we crossed the dune, telling him I was sure he was with me here, and that I clearly felt our bond had made the transiton from here to there.

Within just a few minutes of reaching the shoreline, I spied....not one, but two starfish, washed up on a pile of shells.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2015, 03:21 PM   #36
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Maggie,
I believe in the giving nature of the beach and it's ability to provide comfort.
A decade ago while walking on Point Michaud Beach on Cape Breton Island, Kathleen and I came across a tiny silver fish that was thrashing about on the sand after having been washed up by a rogue wave. The desperate little fish called up to me "hey Big Mister, I could use a little help down here".
I picked him up on my palm and placed him back in the sea, and it felt kind of good.
My grand daughters, born some years later, call me Big Mister. I don't know how it happened, but it sure feels good. Jim

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-09-2015, 03:51 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
Try the crab cakes or the shrimp and grits at Whaley's!
Old 03-09-2015, 04:09 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I agree Jim.

Have not been to Whaley's, may try it. I love shrimp & grits.

Bought local, yellow grits at the store this am.....every time I have been to Edisto.

Maggie
Old 03-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Lincolnton , North Carolina
We call the Piggly Wiggly the "Hoggly Woggly".😸
Old 03-10-2015, 08:05 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There are two small, homemade camper trailers here, both of which are rented, brought in and set up, for rental campers to use. Pretty clever.

I spoke with the young man in this one, which looks like a TAB on steroids, and has the same flip-up galley area the TABS do. He told me the other was rented as well, thru someone different than his.

This one is the more visually-appealing of the two, but the other may have bunks as there is a couple with small children in it. I love it.

Very nice concept.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	233974  
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Maggie, I commend you for traveling solo with Lili in your Interstate. Do you have a bike hitch or do you carry your bike on the inside? I've often thought of buying a small driveable and heading out by myself since my husband is more tied to his job than me. I also have more wonderlust. I like the idea of camping at a place where you can ride your bike to restaurants and stores so you don't have to drive your "house" around so much. Happy trails
Old 03-10-2015, 10:45 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is a matter of getting out in the Interstate......or staying home, kswelsh, and I am not ready for Bingo and the Senior Center.

And so, I go, and I am liking it. I am stronger, physically and emotionally, for having mastered solo travel.

Now, if I can muster the courage to drive to Nevada....the last of the lower 48 to be filled in on our map.

I have learned, however, that the roaming and wandering Doug & I did has little appeal when one must navigate and drive at the same time, plus do the setting up and taking down, filling, emptying, etc., in all sorts of weather.

And so, I am settling into longer stays at favorite places, and it is good.

We had bought folding bicycles in 2013, to rid ourselves of a bike rack. I am hauling mine, and that has worked beautifully. So much smaller and easier to manage than a traditional bicycle, but gives me exercise and gets me where I want to go but don't care to walk. I love it.

Are you coming to Moraine View the second weekend in June?

Maggie