Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Maggie, I commend you for traveling solo with Lili in your Interstate. Do you have a bike hitch or do you carry your bike on the inside? I've often thought of buying a small driveable and heading out by myself since my husband is more tied to his job than me. I also have more wonderlust. I like the idea of camping at a place where you can ride your bike to restaurants and stores so you don't have to drive your "house" around so much. Happy trails
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It is a matter of getting out in the Interstate......or staying home, kswelsh, and I am not ready for Bingo and the Senior Center.

And so, I go, and I am liking it. I am stronger, physically and emotionally, for having mastered solo travel.

Now, if I can muster the courage to drive to Nevada....the last of the lower 48 to be filled in on our map.

I have learned, however, that the roaming and wandering Doug & I did has little appeal when one must navigate and drive at the same time, plus do the setting up and taking down, filling, emptying, etc., in all sorts of weather.

And so, I am settling into longer stays at favorite places, and it is good.

We had bought folding bicycles in 2013, to rid ourselves of a bike rack. I am hauling mine, and that has worked beautifully. So much smaller and easier to manage than a traditional bicycle, but gives me exercise and gets me where I want to go but don't care to walk. I love it.

Are you coming to Moraine View the second weekend in June?

Maggie
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #43
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
SC Upstate

Maggie,

I know you've got a fondness for the Low Country but I don't know if you've been in the Upstate region for camping. We've been up there several times since getting the AS and maybe you've been there, maybe not but I'm gonna share two that we've been to and enjoyed.

Oconee SP in Mountain Rest SC Oconee State Park Campground - Foothills Trail South Carolina - Oconee State Park Not sure when it opened but it has CCC 1930's roots and is nestled in the forest. Some sites smaller, some bigger.

Devils Fork SP in Salem SC.
Lake Jocassee - South Carolina Trout Fishing - Devils Fork State Park This park is on Lake Jocassee and is really unique. Almost an undeveloped shoreline means nearly no lights on the mountain spring fed lake at night and the water is noted for clarity. Several sites would turn away many AS rigs but your IS would easily fit in.

Both of these put you in the Upstate and mountain views all over but one special feature is getting a waterfall map and go exploring. One is a couple hundered feet off of the parking lot and one favorite is Sumter National Forest - Station Cove Falls - Oconee Station State Historic Site a really nice walk through the forest and you are at the falls.

Safe travels.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have been all over North and South Carolina....the Low-Country is just a favorite.

Thanks for those suggestions!

Maggie
Old 03-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It is a matter of getting out in the Interstate......or staying home, kswelsh, and I am not ready for Bingo and the Senior Center.

And so, I go, and I am liking it. I am stronger, physically and emotionally, for having mastered solo travel.

Now, if I can muster the courage to drive to Nevada....the last of the lower 48 to be filled in on our map.

I have learned, however, that the roaming and wandering Doug & I did has little appeal when one must navigate and drive at the same time, plus do the setting up and taking down, filling, emptying, etc., in all sorts of weather.

And so, I am settling into longer stays at favorite places, and it is good.

We had bought folding bicycles in 2013, to rid ourselves of a bike rack. I am hauling mine, and that has worked beautifully. So much smaller and easier to manage than a traditional bicycle, but gives me exercise and gets me where I want to go but don't care to walk. I love it.

Are you coming to Moraine View the second weekend in June?

Maggie
We might be able to go this year, do you know if they still have spaces available? We missed last year because we had to help our daughter move. I'd love to meet you in person since I've read all of your posts and have followed your journey for the last year. Safe Travels
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:33 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Maggie - Edisto is a beautiful place especially in the winter. We live 30 minutes away in Charleston. If you like to kayak there are some rentals on the island that have tours on the Edisto river.

I'm from the upstate of SC & Gary is right in that Jocasse State Park is. Beautiful. We go twice yearly for a week. The Jocasse gorge & lake connect to 3 states.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 04:30 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have never kayaked, and fear I am now too old to ever learn.

Then......there's the matter of Lily, who I don't leave alone for any long periods.

I would love to get out on the water, and see the islands from there, but doesn't seem it is meant to be. Doesn't keep me from enjoying this beautiful area, tho.

Bought a book yesterday on the history of Edisto Island....1861-2006.

The Gullah History Museum in Beaufort is very interesting, for those who like history.

The area abounds with it.

Maggie
Old 03-11-2015, 04:33 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad to see you're coming to Moraine View, kswelsh!

A great group of people, and always a good time.

Maggie
Old 03-11-2015, 06:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Edisto fog this morning.....thru the decal on my rear window.

It's all good.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	234011  
Old 03-16-2015, 07:17 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A beautiful, beautiful day at Edisto Beach.

Winds are calm, sun is warm......a good place to be.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	116
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	234282  
Old 03-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You can always Kayak, it's easy and safe. I would think someplace around the Island they would have an outfitter who also takes people on a one or two hour guided trip. They teach you how to Kayak, takes about three minutes and then off you go, and Lily would have a nice snooze in the AS.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I'll ponder it.

Maggie
Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It has been the most beautiful day here.

Very little wind, temp in the low 70's, sunny and absolutely gorgeous. Supposed to be mid-70's tomorrow. I'll take it.

Lily and I walk the beach at least 3 times each day, plus a walk to the dumpster and/or the grocer, and I get a bike ride in most days. The air is so fresh and clean, and the area so unspoiled.

The water is warm enough for comfortable wading, and Lily loves it. She doesn't really know she can swim, having only done so by accident when she ran into a tide pool that was over her head,,,..but she chases the waves, then they chase her. She is so worn out at night, she can't wait for me to put the bed out so she can rest in complete comfort. Booger dog.

I haven't gotten to the point that sitting outside by myself feels comfortable, so if we are not walking I settle inside, crochet, read, listen to the surf and enjoy the view out my windows.

Thus....photos of sunrise and sunset over the dunes, thru my rear windows. Have thought about taking the IPad onto the beach for some pictures.....juggling it along with the leash, poop bags/poop, my shoes, shells I pick up....seems like a lot. Trust me...the beach here is beautiful, too.

I have turned a-widow-of-one-year here. We all feel somewhat relieved that this year...our year of firsts....is over.

When the sun starts to set, it seems to set very quickly. So very lovely.

I have already made my reservation for next year.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	126
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	234326  
Old 03-16-2015, 09:12 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Lilly,
I'm so glad you are enjoying the beautiful beach. My thoughts are with you this evening as I can't imagine how difficult your loss has been. Ihink it is so great that you continue to travel & see the country! Scott, the dogs (Petunia & Captain), & I are going to walk at Edisto Sunday & if you are still in town we'll wander over & say hi.

Jane
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We will be leaving Sunday morning, Jane. I'm sorry we will miss you.

The only bad thing about camping at the beach.....is camping at the beach.

No way to keep sand from sifting in, and it permeates everything. I will be visiting the laundromat, and making a stop at a car wash to scrub the outside and use their vacuum.

Then......on toward Alumalina.

Maggie
Old 03-18-2015, 11:09 AM   #56
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After temps in the mid-80's yesterday, they have dropped by 20 degrees and the wind has picked up considerably on Edisto Island.

Shelling tomorrow should be good. I already have more than I should carry home, starting to sort and return some to the beach.

Lily and I took a drive thru the side roads this morning, most of which look like this........Botany Bay, Eddingsville Beach, Steamboat Landing.....all lovely, oak-and-moss hung. It's not just the trees....it's the roads.

A few are paved, most are not, and parts look to rest just barely above the marshes, as if one strong storm would see them reclaimed by the sea.

I am starting to think about being sand-free in a few more days.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	112
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	234473  
Old 03-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Even a rainy day at Edisto Beach is a good day.

We got a walk on the beach before the heavy rains started.....Lily ran, I walked.

I bought some "beach shoes" at WalMart last year, $10 or so, which I used at home to work in my yard.....keep my toes clean but with a flexible sole have a barefoot feel to them...barefoot being my preference....because you can throw them in the washing machine when they become dirty.

They have been absolutely perfect for morning beach walks and shelling, when the sand is still quite wet. They keep your feet dry and clean. I like.

It will be an inside day. I will crochet and Lily will catch up on her rest.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	101
Size:	127.3 KB
ID:	234524  
Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
After breakfast-bread-for-one.

Maggie
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	123
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	234525  
Old 03-19-2015, 08:43 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Maggie that pretty picture of your Edisto Spring Airstream morning would go well on the March Photo Contest thread.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Hmmmm.....I hadn't thought of that.

I am so not a serious photographer, hate to detract from those who are.

But....I'll do it, if only so more will see it.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Maggie