Old 04-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Louisiana, roads and parks, yikes!

Crossed southern Louisiana today east to west. Started out on I10 but detoured to US 190 for the segment from Baton Rouge to Lafayette because we loathe the section of I10 between those two cities.

Didn't do us any good. The road surface of US 190 is really bad in a lot of places. On the last few miles into Opelousas, there were potholes about 20" around and at least a foot deep all along the outside of the right lane. Whacked one pretty hard when I couldn't move left due to passing traffic and it about loosened my fillings... Turns out, it did more than that -- one of my street side hub caps is gone.

Finally got to Sam Houston Jones State Park near Lake Charles. Really nice folks at check-in but there was a huge line (on a Sunday late afternoon) because there were only two employees. Finally got to the campground and part of it is closed due to a fallen tree, pads and utilities very tired as were the roads. Talked to a local fella who is a regular and he said that the park has gone from 16 employees to 8 employees over the last five years and the deferred maintenance is really starting to show.

Out of here tomorrow westbound. Will try hard to avoid Louisiana on the return trip as the rig doesn't need the torture testing and frankly, I don't either. I am sure the taxpayers of Louisiana are a lot happier now that their taxes are so low and, well, it is their ballpark, their rules but, jeez, if the roads and parks are this bad, how are the schools, hospitals and other state properties?

Anyway, not my problem in 24 hours...

Mike

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:00 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
It seems to be happening in many states. Everybody wants services but nobody wants to pay for them.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I suppose it is all personal perceptions. I have always enjoyed the LA State parks. To me they are no worse than anywhere else and better than many. I especially enjoy the parks in the southern parts of the state. They are in some beautiful locations. You will not find nicer and better hospatility anywhere else. As to your comments about about the roads, I agree 110 %. They will shake your fillings out and destroy suspensions if you are not careful. I do enjoy driving the back roads whenever possible. Great views and I take it slow and easy. I am heading down to Grand Isle in a week or so. Beautiful camping almost right on the beach.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
It is sad one of our states is in so bad shape.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
It is hard to pave over swamps.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:13 PM   #6
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
My cars would last about 2 years as I used in daily job. The roads are brutal! Towing boats, horse, utility trailers was a white knuckle deal. Our AS trips there have been more gruesome. As a tribute to AS strength, I thought I had literally bent it in half once...

Maybe the thought is.."if we DONT fix it, the Hordes won't come!"????? Seems that way.

Breaks my heart....but I am just one voice and the reasons are as hard, deep and damaging as the potholes.

Yes, great place to visit....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:21 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
We just survived some 250 miles of Louisiana #49/90 that really did shake the teeth fillings loose. Left Vidalia and swung south through Lafayette to get down to Grand Isle. It was a rough ride. Grand Isle State Park was one of the best keep parks we've been in. Of course the town of Grand Isle was pretty much free of tourists, but should be hopping as summer arrives.

Then we had to travel through Michigan with it's concrete slab highways and dead deer carcasses left on the road side to rot away.

Great roads in Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1975 Argosy 20
new iberia , Louisiana
Roads

yes our roads are in bad shape I will agree with you on that but we have travel many other states and some just as bad. We have some of the best state parks around just a lot of rain makes the ground really soft and trees fall.
If we had all the snow birds that Florida has we might have better roads , so enjoy your journey.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #9

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Not that it's the single reason, but this spring has been really, really wet and that is a breeding ground for super pothole road. I20 thru Shreveport is in my top 10 roughest roads list.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
1970 27' Overlander
Houston , Texas
I-10 Louisiana

I grew up and went to College in La.
Moved to and lived in Houston since graduation in 1980.
Family still lives in La. and we make that trip often, and HATE every minute of the drive, especially from the TX/La. State line to Slidell.
One of the most dangerous stretches of Interstate in the Country.
And yes, I am a native of the State and the roads are horrible.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Rhinos View Post
I grew up and went to College in La.
Moved to and lived in Houston since graduation in 1980.
Family still lives in La. and we make that trip often, and HATE every minute of the drive, especially from the TX/La. State line to Slidell.
One of the most dangerous stretches of Interstate in the Country.
And yes, I am a native of the State and the roads are horrible.
Ditto.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Don't dis the whole state just because you traveled one bad road and stayed at one bad park.

Some roads in Louisiana are better than others. I-10 and I-20 as the major east-west corridors tend to be bad. People complain about the roads, but they complain even louder when sections of them are closed for repairs.

If you don't mind a winding route with a lot of small towns and traffic lights, US-90 is a decent east-west route. Still some bad stretches here and there, but not half as bad as I-10 or US-190. And a lot more scenic than the Interstate, too.

Some state parks in Louisiana are better than others. I haven't stayed at Sam Houston Jones yet, but Chicot, Bogue Chitto, Poverty Point, Lake Claiborne, and South Toledo Bend are all good parks.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:30 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Poverty Point sounds right up my alley.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:51 PM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I made our 34' fit at Chicot. Very tight.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote