Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
LOL! What we love about La is that most of you guys don't like it and are not here.... That's what we liked about Co until so many west peeps turned it from a scenic open state into a busy "must be there" crowded California east.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #22
Cajun Traveler

2014 27' FB International
Slaughter , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Crossed southern Louisiana today east to west. Started out on I10 but detoured to US 190 for the segment from Baton Rouge to Lafayette because we loathe the section of I10 between those two cities.

Didn't do us any good. The road surface of US 190 is really bad in a lot of places. On the last few miles into Opelousas, there were potholes about 20" around and at least a foot deep all along the outside of the right lane. Whacked one pretty hard when I couldn't move left due to passing traffic and it about loosened my fillings... Turns out, it did more than that -- one of my street side hub caps is gone.

Finally got to Sam Houston Jones State Park near Lake Charles. Really nice folks at check-in but there was a huge line (on a Sunday late afternoon) because there were only two employees. Finally got to the campground and part of it is closed due to a fallen tree, pads and utilities very tired as were the roads. Talked to a local fella who is a regular and he said that the park has gone from 16 employees to 8 employees over the last five years and the deferred maintenance is really starting to show.

Out of here tomorrow westbound. Will try hard to avoid Louisiana on the return trip as the rig doesn't need the torture testing and frankly, I don't either. I am sure the taxpayers of Louisiana are a lot happier now that their taxes are so low and, well, it is their ballpark, their rules but, jeez, if the roads and parks are this bad, how are the schools, hospitals and other state properties?

Anyway, not my problem in 24 hours...

Mike
Wow, poor baby ! Louisiana is cutting back on many things as the fall in oil and gas prices continue to fall. Louisiana's economy for the most part is based on petroleum. We don't borrow money to fix problems. I find it hard to believe this is the first time you ever experienced substandard roads. I travel a great deal and there bad roads in all states. There is nothing wrong with the section of I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Please go around so you will not be our problem and grow up and stop using Airstream Forums to throw a tantrum. Better yet, stay home !
Billyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Reading this conversation chain makes me think we could use a new chain dedicated to pointing out some particularly dangerous stretches of highways...maybe by state as to not lose control over the multitude of responses (I think I just answered my own question). For example, I usually leave Hailey and head to Pittsburgh and Morgantown (for family) before turning south to Florida. After a trip in mid-March I told the family not to expect us in June since I won't pull 20ft Daisy on I-70 from the Illinois/Indiana State line to Washington, PA due to the miserable road conditions....it tears a camper apart, especially along the eastern Ohio/western PA strecth where the fracking industry rigs left foot-deep, unavoidable potholes. I can repair relations with in-laws easier than Daisy. Bottom line: Avoid I-70 in this area when towing your rigs. jon
B00merang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 12:39 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
On our way to Florida on I-10 last year east of Slidell our AS was damaged by the horrible bumpy road near the State line even though we were traveling at 55 MPH. On the return trip we sought out other roads (non interstate) further north. This was much better, less traffic and more relaxing. Our next trip across LA will not be on I-10.

Dennis
dstalzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I10 and US190 didn't get that way in the last year and a half since the oil bust. We have traveled through Louisiana at least annually on our way West for the past 7 years. Love the people, love the culture, hate the roads.

My original post pretty much was just an observation and a warning to those headed through that area on those roads.

I don't live in Louisiana so the only vote I have is to find a way around.

Really appreciate the personal attack. First one after years on this forum.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
N2916s
We thought that reply was a bit harsh too. The roads seemed rough to us also as they are in many states these days.

They are a new member w/only 4 posts so possibly the other forums they post on are a bit more "in your face".

Sometime it takes folks a while to come down to the helpful tone of Airforums.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:39 PM   #27
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyg6 View Post
Wow, poor baby ! Louisiana is cutting back on many things as the fall in oil and gas prices continue to fall. Louisiana's economy for the most part is based on petroleum. We don't borrow money to fix problems. I find it hard to believe this is the first time you ever experienced substandard roads. I travel a great deal and there bad roads in all states. There is nothing wrong with the section of I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Please go around so you will not be our problem and grow up and stop using Airstream Forums to throw a tantrum. Better yet, stay home !
LOL
You made me go look an old tune - an old favorite.
Not the right state - but close.

Ultradog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 04:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We have found terrible roads in many states. We go to Louisiana once a year and went to Cajun Mardi Gras. Our experience is we have had bad roads in many states. Louisiana by no means was the worse.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with the section of I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette.
Actually, between Lafayette and the Atchafalaya Basin bridge, that stretch can cause porpoising if you take it at the wrong speed. The ends of the concrete slabs are higher than the centers because the slabs have sagged. Even in my Interstate, I notice it; I can only imagine what it's like pulling a trailer.

It's better than US-190 between that road's Atchafalaya Basin bridge and the town of Port Barré because there aren't giant potholes to deal with, but I can certainly understand why people would complain about it.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I grew up in St. Mary Parish. I know how things are.

I still love it for what it is. I still hate it for the lost opportunities.....and axles...and bearings...tires, wheels.....cracked windshield... Just suck it up...?

Nope.

One thing for sure, if it goes un-checked it won't improve.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Come back via I-20 and stay at Poverty Point in Delhi- a beautiful modern state park-
I-20 through Bossier City/Shreveport is the worst road I have encountered.
I see the lack of maintenance at Hugh White State Park in Grenada, MS. It started with the bad economy of 2008. We haven't camped there in several years because of electricity and water that does not work and tight, unlevel pads. The park was improving prior to 2008. Going down since 2008. George Payne Cossar State Park at Oakland, MS is holding on due to caring employees and a civic group, Friends of Cossar State Park who volunteer and host fund-raisning events. My wife and I are Friends Of Cossar. The restaurant and swimming pool were closed due to budget cuts in 2008. My wife really misses the pool and I really miss the restaurant, but it is still a great state park where we visit 6-8 times per year. We have been twice so far this year, and have at least 3 more trips planned. J. P. Coleman State Park (Iuka, MS), Trace State Park (Pontotoc), and Percy Quinn State Park (McComb) have held held up well since the budget cuts- others haven't fared so well-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:34 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
irving , Texas
Night and day difference in i10 and i20 and so much better than it was 40 years ago. Remember back in the day i20 at Texas line went from four lane divide to pig trail I'm sure building on marsh land don't help I would not want to build a road in a state you can't dig a grave in . You did know that's what all the concrete box are out in the fields
halftimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:41 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
louisiana roads

Quote:

We have traveled 45 states with our trailers in 40 years of pulling trailers. Obviously all states have some bad roads but the worst road we ever traveled on was route 10 in Louisiana. The porpoising was so bad that the front rock cards became loose on our 30 footer.

We like to explore new places but I won't visit Louisiana again and won't be spending any money in your state. If you don't want us - I won't stay home, I'll just avoid your state. It's a big country and plenty to see in other states.
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:22 PM   #34
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Right you are, Protagonist. We experienced that section of I-10 a little over a month ago. It was just awful. We'll avoid that next time, though we certainly enjoyed some excellent Cajun food in Lafayette!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, between Lafayette and the Atchafalaya Basin bridge, that stretch can cause porpoising if you take it at the wrong speed. The ends of the concrete slabs are higher than the centers because the slabs have sagged. Even in my Interstate, I notice it; I can only imagine what it's like pulling a trailer.

It's better than US-190 between that road's Atchafalaya Basin bridge and the town of Port Barré because there aren't giant potholes to deal with, but I can certainly understand why people would complain about it.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #35
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
This is why there are Daquiri Huts... You can worry less!!!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Bowdon , Georgia
Heading down to Grand Isle end of May.....debating route ? Down from Meridian on I-59 or west on I-10 from Mobile.....after reading this post may do hwy 11 down and avoid as much interstate as possible...not a fan of the freeway. Thoughts on route and place to overnight along the way...tips on Grand Isle? It is a fishing and camping trip in the Bambi.

Bonnie
2002 Bambi LS
LittleLucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:16 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We always enjoyed the drive down to Grand Isle.

It is just unique and interesting. Houses on stilts, fresh shrimp for sale every block or two, local culture everywhere. Love it.

The campground at Grand Isle is nothing spectacular, but adequate and allows access to the lovely beach.

Last time we were there, however, a few years ago, the person newly in charge was enforcing at the campground beach the local ordinance of "no dogs" on the beach.

If that is still the case, just be aware. Beaches are much less enjoyable for me when I must walk them without my four-legged pal.

Maggie
Old 04-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniemc View Post
Heading down to Grand Isle end of May.....debating route ? Down from Meridian on I-59 or west on I-10 from Mobile.....after reading this post may do hwy 11 down and avoid as much interstate as possible...not a fan of the freeway. Thoughts on route and place to overnight along the way...tips on Grand Isle? It is a fishing and camping trip in the Bambi.
Actually, I-59 from Meridian to Slidell or I-10 from Mobile to Slidell are both decent stretches of pavement.

I'd avoid Highway 11 from Slidell to New Orleans. It's has the oldest and least-maintained bridge from Slidell to New Orleans. The I-10 bridge is brand new since Hurricane Katrina and three lanes wide in each direction.

Once you get to New Orleans on I-10, when you come to I-610 take it and avoid the downtown area. Go all the way until it rejoins I-10 in Metairie, then take the Clearview Parkway exit. Go south on Clearview Parkway until you reach the Huey Long Bridge, which has recently been rebuilt to provide wider traffic lanes. The bridge isn't scary anymore. Anyway, this puts you on US-90.

Stay on US-90 to Raceland, then exit onto LA-1. This takes you all the way to Grand Isle. But in the section between Larose and Golden Meadow, instead of LA-1 the LA-3235 expressway is a much better road. 3235 rejoins LA-1 at Golden Meadow and this will take you the rest of the way into Grand Isle.

There is one section of LA-1 south of Golden Meadow where you'll have to pay a toll in one direction, but I can't remember if it's going or coming.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:02 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
Fastest towing route from Slidell to grand isle is I-10 to I-610 in NOLA, to I-10 but do not on exit at Clearview and continue on to I-310, then to US-90...good new road all the way and avoids the congestion.
dayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:30 AM   #40
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
"Yikes" is way too mild

We try to avoid Interstates if possible, and most times have found routes that are very nice and a lot more interesting. We traveled I-10 from Baton Rouge to Lafayette this past winter and it is definitely the worst section of Interstate that we have yet to travel, and everyone in Louisiana that we talked with agreed. Finding our way to Palmetto Island SP was no picnic either, brutally rough roads mixed with an unmarked detour and finally in the dark made the whole day an "adventure". Now for the better parts, Palmetto is one of, if not the nicest SP's we have ever stayed in. The people are the nicest, friendliest most helpful you will find anywhere. Abbeyville is must stop if you love oysters/seafood, we actually stayed an extra day because of the great food and wonderful people. We traveled Rt 82 along the coast, great road, zero traffic, rode two ferries and just had a wonderful time. We will definitely be going back to LA, more careful route planning, and staying longer. If you must travel LA I-10, slow down, put your warning blinkers on and head for Shucks in Abbeyville, you'll soon forget the bad road experience.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote