Old 04-20-2015, 05:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Louisiana is a beautiful and historic state.

I don't experience those road issues, as I stay off the main highways.

Maggie

Old 04-20-2015, 06:14 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
We spent almost a month in Louisiana this year and don't remember the roads or parks being as bad as the original poster stated. Some of the parks we stayed in were Chicot, Ticfaw, and we visited Palmetto but did not stay but it looked really nice. Both Chicot and Ticfaw had really nice nature centers than were undermanned and we were told there were quite a few cutbacks in the park system. We were amazed I believe it was at Ticfaw that the nature center was closed two days a week, Sunday and Monday. I'm thinking to myself "if I need to close two days a week in a campground, I don't think one of those days would be Sunday, probably the second busiest day of the week." We actually met at another venue a couple of days later a person that was high up in the Louisiana Park System and when I mentioned that to him he said, "definitely one of his pet peeves that they would close on Sunday and that he was going to see if he could change that." Chicot was I believe the oldest park in the system and had showers that were pretty outdated but the property was really beautiful. Palmetto I believe is the newest park in the system and the facilities were really great. I wouldn't hesitate to stay again at any of these parks.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The Sunday closing may be for church.

We found Lily at Chicot In October 2010.

There are many lovely and historic areas in Louisiana to explore....well worth some time.

Maggie
Old 04-20-2015, 06:24 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Streator , Illinois
I should have added in my post above that Louisiana and the Bayou Country around New Iberia, Eunice, Abbeyville, and Lafayette were some of the most interesting areas we have visited since we left our home in Illinois 9/15/14. The culture, food and music of the people in this area are something you're not going to see or experience anywhere else in the United States. It's an experience that should not be missed.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Bettendorf , Iowa
In my travels around the USA, I would agree that many places need an overhaul of infrastructure. That includes roads, bridges, tunnels, airports and parks. Some areas are doing much better than others!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
We traveled from DFW to Orlando and back in 2013 and hit I-10 at Lafayette. I really don't remember the stretch from Lafayette to Baton Rouge being all that bad but I keep my speeds about 60. I-49 from Shreveport to Lafayette is nice. It was the leg from Lafayette to Mobile that I got the best gas mileage leg on that trip. When we hit Baton Rouge it was on a Sunday so the traffic wasn't that bad. Maybe I-10 hasn't gotten worse since then.

I think most people are tired of the "end of the world" stories the governments put out when they want more taxes. In Missouri we just voted no to raise the state sales tax .75 cents for MoDOT last year. Now the Missouri legislature wants to raise the gas 2 cents a gallon for the next three years, sponsored by a Republican senator. Luckily it has been put off until next year.

Kelvin
Old 04-20-2015, 12:27 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Slidell , Louisiana
LOL! What we love about La is that most of you guys don't like it and are not here.... That's what we liked about Co until so many west peeps turned it from a scenic open state into a busy "must be there" crowded California east.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:05 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Slaughter , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Crossed southern Louisiana today east to west. Started out on I10 but detoured to US 190 for the segment from Baton Rouge to Lafayette because we loathe the section of I10 between those two cities.

Didn't do us any good. The road surface of US 190 is really bad in a lot of places. On the last few miles into Opelousas, there were potholes about 20" around and at least a foot deep all along the outside of the right lane. Whacked one pretty hard when I couldn't move left due to passing traffic and it about loosened my fillings... Turns out, it did more than that -- one of my street side hub caps is gone.

Finally got to Sam Houston Jones State Park near Lake Charles. Really nice folks at check-in but there was a huge line (on a Sunday late afternoon) because there were only two employees. Finally got to the campground and part of it is closed due to a fallen tree, pads and utilities very tired as were the roads. Talked to a local fella who is a regular and he said that the park has gone from 16 employees to 8 employees over the last five years and the deferred maintenance is really starting to show.

Out of here tomorrow westbound. Will try hard to avoid Louisiana on the return trip as the rig doesn't need the torture testing and frankly, I don't either. I am sure the taxpayers of Louisiana are a lot happier now that their taxes are so low and, well, it is their ballpark, their rules but, jeez, if the roads and parks are this bad, how are the schools, hospitals and other state properties?

Anyway, not my problem in 24 hours...

Mike
Wow, poor baby ! Louisiana is cutting back on many things as the fall in oil and gas prices continue to fall. Louisiana's economy for the most part is based on petroleum. We don't borrow money to fix problems. I find it hard to believe this is the first time you ever experienced substandard roads. I travel a great deal and there bad roads in all states. There is nothing wrong with the section of I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Please go around so you will not be our problem and grow up and stop using Airstream Forums to throw a tantrum. Better yet, stay home !
Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Reading this conversation chain makes me think we could use a new chain dedicated to pointing out some particularly dangerous stretches of highways...maybe by state as to not lose control over the multitude of responses (I think I just answered my own question). For example, I usually leave Hailey and head to Pittsburgh and Morgantown (for family) before turning south to Florida. After a trip in mid-March I told the family not to expect us in June since I won't pull 20ft Daisy on I-70 from the Illinois/Indiana State line to Washington, PA due to the miserable road conditions....it tears a camper apart, especially along the eastern Ohio/western PA strecth where the fracking industry rigs left foot-deep, unavoidable potholes. I can repair relations with in-laws easier than Daisy. Bottom line: Avoid I-70 in this area when towing your rigs. jon
Old 04-20-2015, 01:39 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
On our way to Florida on I-10 last year east of Slidell our AS was damaged by the horrible bumpy road near the State line even though we were traveling at 55 MPH. On the return trip we sought out other roads (non interstate) further north. This was much better, less traffic and more relaxing. Our next trip across LA will not be on I-10.

Dennis
Old 04-20-2015, 02:33 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I10 and US190 didn't get that way in the last year and a half since the oil bust. We have traveled through Louisiana at least annually on our way West for the past 7 years. Love the people, love the culture, hate the roads.

My original post pretty much was just an observation and a warning to those headed through that area on those roads.

I don't live in Louisiana so the only vote I have is to find a way around.

Really appreciate the personal attack. First one after years on this forum.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:48 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
N2916s
We thought that reply was a bit harsh too. The roads seemed rough to us also as they are in many states these days.

They are a new member w/only 4 posts so possibly the other forums they post on are a bit more "in your face".

Sometime it takes folks a while to come down to the helpful tone of Airforums.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #27
Huh?

1975 27' Overlander
Twin Cities , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billyg6 View Post
Wow, poor baby ! Louisiana is cutting back on many things as the fall in oil and gas prices continue to fall. Louisiana's economy for the most part is based on petroleum. We don't borrow money to fix problems. I find it hard to believe this is the first time you ever experienced substandard roads. I travel a great deal and there bad roads in all states. There is nothing wrong with the section of I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lafayette. Please go around so you will not be our problem and grow up and stop using Airstream Forums to throw a tantrum. Better yet, stay home !
LOL
You made me go look an old tune - an old favorite.
Not the right state - but close.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
We have found terrible roads in many states. We go to Louisiana once a year and went to Cajun Mardi Gras. Our experience is we have had bad roads in many states. Louisiana by no means was the worse.