Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Reading maps is fine, I love to do it. In fact, I do it for every trip. But I cannot read maps while driving and my wife is not good at it. Actually, she is good at giving me instructions after I have passed the turn. So, a GPS navigator in the vehicle, visible while I am driving, is essential to getting to our destination efficiently. Sure, I did it before GPS but now I never have to pull over and look at a map. I have used many versions in vehicles and boats, but I have found Garmin the easiest to use. There used to be only two database providers but the NAVI manufacturer presents it and Garmin gets my vote.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Sure, I did it before GPS but now I never have to pull over and look at a map.
Larry
Now that is a novel idea
Old 05-22-2016, 10:50 AM   #43
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I run an app called Copilot GPS on my IPad. You download all the data (and free updates when released) so there is no need for a WiFi or Cellular connection. You can set it for RV. Bring it inside and plan all the legs of your trip -- it will even suggest three alternative routings for you to choose from. Save your planned routes and bring them up as needed or just put in your destination and hit GO...

When we went to Europe last year we downloaded all the European maps before we left and it navigated us flawlessly.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I run an app called Copilot GPS on my IPad. You download all the data (and free updates when released) so there is no need for a WiFi or Cellular connection. You can set it for RV. Bring it inside and plan all the legs of your trip -- it will even suggest three alternative routings for you to choose from. Save your planned routes and bring them up as needed or just put in your destination and hit GO...

When we went to Europe last year we downloaded all the European maps before we left and it navigated us flawlessly.

Mike
Thanks Mike. That's also a possibility as my wife has the newest Samsung s2 pad and is fairly proficient with it's functions. I'll have a look. I see you can download a trial version that would let her see if it would work.
Course that would mean no more naps for her as we drive. (:

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:

Mike

Mike - are you using the truck version ($150) that allows you to use the size of your rug and propane load to route you or are you able to do that in the "regular/car" version ($10) ?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:36 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I run the plain old car version. Works great for us.

I really like the ability to plan ahead at my leisure.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
I run the plain old car version. Works great for us.

I really like the ability to plan ahead at my leisure.

Mike

Great. Can you provide any details on how the RV part works? Do you enter rig length somewhere? If you identify you have propane tanks does it avoid tunnels that have a restriction? Can you tell it the total weight so it avoids bridges that would be limited? Thanks!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 04:40 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the lead, Mike. Here is the RV version for $60:

https://copilotgps.com/us/rv-navigation/

And the truck version:

https://copilotgps.com/us/truck-navigation/

The Truck Feature Sheet:

https://copilotgps.com/us/brochures/...-7-26-12-2.pdf

Which apparently includes speed limits and the ability to set an audible alert if you exceed it. Some of the features of this Truck version obviously do not apply to RV's.

The ability to download and store maps for viewing later seems like a very usable feature IMO, if I have read the earlier comments correctly. Thanks again, Mike.

Good material to explore later . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:08 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
We had been using a Garmin GPS for many years prior to getting our Airstream, so we are very used to it. So far with the AS, since we know our destination for the end of the day, I'll pull up Google on my computer and look at a map either the night before or in the morning before we leave. I figure out which route I want to take, which usually doesn't involve many road changes, and only use the GPS for warnings about the upcoming turn, or guidance on which lane to pick. I don't let the GPS take me a different route - it recalculates and catches up in the background. Sometimes we'll just have it in map mode which is enough to assist with upcoming roads and turns. Other times we put in the destination when we are getting close just to help with unfamiliar roads and turnoffs.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Similar active thread FYI:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f452...hy-151008.html

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #51
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dabeach View Post
slowmover....You are not correct about towing on the NJ Garden State Parkway. See attached rules that cover the NJ Turnpike and the NJ Garden State Parkway http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/docu...forWebsite.pdf

Sorry, I'm not in a passenger vehicle as reference in that thread. Should have been specific. A Kenworth. With a 46' Heil pneumatic tanker.

Any road denoted as" parkway" is verboten. But the Garmin only showed me a road number. Good thing I'm handy at giant u turns, ha! I've become a lot handier on figuring out how to use the NJTP.

That mentioned, there are some non passenger vehicle rest areas back here on east coast. Which would exclude those of us towing our travel trailers.

As my Garmin, (noted above) is the truck specific DEZL 760, I wonder if those "rest areas" show as valid for cars when searching the route ahead?
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote