Old 05-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 30' Classic
Ayr , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabatFB25 View Post
Iím looking to buy a GPS to help with my RV travels. Anybody using the Garmin RV 760MT navigator system? What system works best for you?
Thanks Steven
I purchased this unit and gave it a try. It did not work for me. I entered in the size of my rig and told it no U-turns. Then I tried it out and the very first thing it told me was to make a U-turn. Then I tried to find a nearby park with RV dump station. It tried to route me 4 hours away to another spot. Totally useless. I returned it.

I then bought a run of the mill Garmin for a third of the price. I updated all of the maps and downloaded a ton of extra POIs. Took it on a long trip. What a disaster. It tried to route me on incorrect highways that google had on their maps, but not Garmin. Highways where names were changed etc. New highways were not on there. I recorded all of the information and submitted it to Garmin at the end. Not one email or response from Garmin over the issue. I returned that unit too.

When I contact google over incorrect roads they at least respond and correct the issue. But not Garmin.

Forget it. Purchased Co Pilot for $15 run it on an old tablet for when I'm in areas where there is not phone signal. It works in Canada and the US, which is important. I don't want to pay expensive phone bills when roaming so this option works second best to good old paper maps. I usually travel with all 4 options (paper, car GPS, phone and Tablet). In some cases I just have to rely on paper if you're really in an out of the way place with no cell signal, which happens more than you think it should in this day and age.

Old 05-19-2016, 12:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
That is not my experience. I have had great success with my RV760. Over thousands of miles in the East, including Canada, it has faithfully routed me on decent roads without glitches.
You need to be aware of RV mode; it will not route you on questionable roads like the Blue Ridge Parkway. You must tell it you are in a car if you want to be on roads like that.
Maybe everyone likes Apps and cell data plans, but I do not so I like an independent GPS. I also like the Basecamp utility that allows me to preplan the route on my PC and then download to my Garmin.
I also have the Garmin backup camera on the rear of my trailer and I like not having another device on my dash to see behind me.
In sum, I am VERY happy with the Garmin.
Larry

Old 05-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I daily use the truck version seven inch Garmin. Better than the Rand McNally.

Don't expect miracles. My preference is always the Interstate, even if somewhat longer. Today's trip from Philadelphia to Allentown and thence to darkest Maine is based on an extra location point to avoid NYC. 60-miles farther, but same or less time.

Best use of a GPS device is as an en route information manager. Study the route it proposes in total. Note any changes needed (on an index card) to avoid its tendency to put one on a lesser road to save three minutes or three miles (assuming one is looking to cover maximum distance with least stress).

Plan fuel stops in advance. I use satellite photos of that and of the consignee's location to improve certainty those last few miles right down to entry and egress.

Efficient travel is at the highest AVERAGE mph (engine run time versus miles). A GPS makes travel easier from point to point IF the route is clear to the driver beforehand.

And for that one needs the Rand McNally Road Atlas, at a minimum.

Windshield placement is critical. Best to be at lowest point. I prefer dash top. Anywhere inside wiper sweep is a BAD choice.
I hear you about maps and planning ahead. I have had Garmin try to route me where I shouldn't be going and I do get a general Idea in my head of the lay of the land. We have been using the 265w since 2008 for our first trip across Canada.My wife loved to read maps and since she didn't drive it was her way of being involved.
Unfortunately her eyesight is going prematurely to a genetic condition ( only 55) and she requires much larger print and cannot read a map anymore.
The larger screen of the 70 LMT and the RV 760 LMT with the voice command and Bluetooth link to the our Android phone are a real draw for her, therefore us.
The 70 LMT has pinch to zoom as well but I don't know if the RV 760 does.
The ability to route me according to the length of my unit is not as important as having my wife totally involved in the trip. And if she can see the screen and the print, she can find the camp grounds.
So, can any of you users of the RV 760 tell me if it has pinch to zoom?
Thanks all for your input.

George
Old 05-19-2016, 01:03 PM   #32
Airstreamer In Training

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I am part of the GPS generation. I use it daily. And I trust Garmin. Yes, it has steered me wrong a couple of time. In 15 years. It beats me and any capability I could have ever dreamed of navigating a map. Google Maps is also pretty good, but I prefer to save my phone battery. So I picked up a 760LMT. I shall put it to the test this week.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2013 Cadillac Escalade Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 AM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I'm not positive I know what "pinch to zoom" means, but I can touch the screen and am offered a plus or minus sign to change the screen range coverage.

Mine is the DEZL 760. About two years old.

The older that part of the country -- east coast and pre-WWII expansion -- the worse it is, as my preference is always the limited access roadway even to the point of more miles over stop & go local roads. It's vital I know ahead of time the route and exit I need versus what I may be offered.

It also tries to put me on roads such as the Garden State Parkway which is passenger cars only. Etc.

A GPS excels at real time info management as to lanes and upcoming exits. I'd replace it for that alone. It's also damned handy for ETA and miles remaining.

I use my IPhone also. There can be divergence (as it is optimized for cars). To my chagrin I have found agreement between the devices to not always be a good thing. But I don't believe a phone is designed for 12-14 hour days of moving map display.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Pinch to zoom is a function of most "Smart" phones and tablets where you touch the screen with thumb and forefinger and either spread them out or pinch them in and the screen image gets larger or smaller.
I would guess that if your screen shows a + - then it doesn't have that feature.

George
Old 05-21-2016, 11:03 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have the Garmin RV Model. A little pricey but it seems to have the best reviews. The unit is only as good as the programmed info. On one hand it tried to send me down a dirt 2 track which obviously was wrong. On the other hand it picked up forest roads in the National Forest. I like the GPS coordinates feature. Still have not figured out all the bells and whistles. Bottom line is the best GPS unit sits on your shoulders.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I'm not positive I know what "pinch to zoom" means, but I can touch the screen and am offered a plus or minus sign to change the screen range coverage.

Mine is the DEZL 760. About two years old.

The older that part of the country -- east coast and pre-WWII expansion -- the worse it is, as my preference is always the limited access roadway even to the point of more miles over stop & go local roads. It's vital I know ahead of time the route and exit I need versus what I may be offered.

It also tries to put me on roads such as the Garden State Parkway which is passenger cars only. Etc.

A GPS excels at real time info management as to lanes and upcoming exits. I'd replace it for that alone. It's also damned handy for ETA and miles remaining.

I use my IPhone also. There can be divergence (as it is optimized for cars). To my chagrin I have found agreement between the devices to not always be a good thing. But I don't believe a phone is designed for 12-14 hour days of moving map display.
slowmover....You are not correct about towing on the NJ Garden State Parkway. See attached rules that cover the NJ Turnpike and the NJ Garden State Parkway http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/docu...forWebsite.pdf
Old 05-21-2016, 11:51 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Queens , New York
2da is correct about the GSP.
we pull up/down it going to Colonial Airstream.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:04 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
At the risk of heresy . . .

For multi-state route-planning, there is nothing like a printed road atlas which opens to show the entire US on two pages. The individual state maps, with many cities also shown, are detailed enough to go all over this great country.

This heretic thus finds it sad that many people cannot even read a map, let alone navigate from one, and instead rely on a printed list of directions from Google Maps etc.. to (try to) get to where they want to go.

Which usually gets them very lost at some point, or at a dead end.

The devolution of worldy coping skills is

IMO
Old 05-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
At the risk of heresy . . .

This heretic thus finds it sad that many people cannot even read a map, let alone navigate from one, and instead rely on a printed list of directions from Google Maps etc.. to (try to) get to where they want to go.

IMO
This is all wonderful for those of us who are not going blind.
As I stated when I restarted this thread to ask for assistance in evaluating GPS's that my wife LOVED to read maps but can't any more due to RP so I need a tool which enables her to do this.
Don't be so critical.

George
Old 05-22-2016, 10:00 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
Don't be so critical.
I second
Old 05-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Reading maps is fine, I love to do it. In fact, I do it for every trip. But I cannot read maps while driving and my wife is not good at it. Actually, she is good at giving me instructions after I have passed the turn. So, a GPS navigator in the vehicle, visible while I am driving, is essential to getting to our destination efficiently. Sure, I did it before GPS but now I never have to pull over and look at a map. I have used many versions in vehicles and boats, but I have found Garmin the easiest to use. There used to be only two database providers but the NAVI manufacturer presents it and Garmin gets my vote.
Larry
Old 05-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Sure, I did it before GPS but now I never have to pull over and look at a map.
Larry
Now that is a novel idea