Old 06-04-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Looking for trip planning suggestions

I am planning my first month long trip from Texas to Oregon and back in July in my new International 27' trailer. I am meeting family in Crater Lake and then we do the Oregon coast together. We end up on the northern coast of Oregon where we meet some other friends. Any sugeestions of great places to see or stay in Northern Oregon??

I can't decide about where to go on our trip back to Texas. I really want to see Yosemite but I know that in July it will be incredibly crowded. I am dieing to see it but not wild about the crowds and craziness. Has anyone gone to Yosemite in July? Is it worth the crowd hassles or not? Would love to hear from you.

Another stop we are considering is Lake Tahoe. How is that in July? Crowded or great? Any suggestions about places to stay?

I would really appreciate any input or suggestions about great out of the norm places to stay. Traveling with 2 people and 2 dogs. Many thanks!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The Oregon coast is one of the most beautiful drives anywhere, and not to be missed. We go there every summer, attending kite festivals in Oregon and Washington.
If you are an Elk, there are several very nice places to stay with your trailer. If not, the Oregon State Parks are second to none, but make reservations, as they do fill up, especially on the weekends.
Towing, I would start at the north end of the state and travel south so that the ocean is on your right side. There are many places you will want to pull off for the spectacular views, and it is hard to do that with a trailer if you are traveling north. You can not make any real time along the oregon coast in the summer as there is much traffic and the road, for the most part, is one lane each way with passing lanes.
One good way to get to the northern part of the state other than I5, is to leave Creater Lake, and go north to Bend, over through the nice little town of Sisters, back through Redmond and north to the Columbia River near The Dalles. There is a very big one day quilt show in Sisters on Saturday, July 12th. Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show
The drive down the Columbia River Gorge from The Dalles to Portland is beautiful. Do some homework for this one. From Portland, over to the coast to Astoria, then south.

If you are interested at all in Kite Festivals, there is a nice one in Brookings Oregon July 19, 20. Southern Oregon Kite Festival

Harris State Beach, just north of Brookings, is up on a bluff, and very nice. Some spots have full hookup including cable. Again, reservations are best.

As far as Yosemite goes, it's like Rome. Everyone should see it, but not have to go there to do so. It's really beautiful, but not a pleasant place to visit. Crowds etc.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:05 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Austin , Texas
Thanks so much for the suggestions. I will look them up. I do love kites and will see if we plan on being nearby at that time. Great way to describe Yosemite - I still can't decide whether to go for it or not. Thanks again for your response.
Old 06-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Up in the norther Oregon area, Ft. Stevens State Park is a good park to camp. Nearby Astoria is fun to visit, lots of new restaurants, a trolley, a maritime museum, and a couple of brewpubs. There is also a replica of Ft. Clatsop nearby, that Lewis and Clark wintered at that is kind of fun to visit. One place I have been spending more time with the trailer is across the river at Cape Disappointment State Park, easy ocean access, large park, good hiking trails that leads to one of the most spectacular views of the mouth of the Columbia river and a couple of lighthouses nearby. A fun day trip in the area is Oysterville, up the Long Beach peninsula, an interesting historic town built around the gold rush era to sell oysters to San Francisco. And buy some oysters at the fish market while you are there.
If you take hwy 97 north there is a great state park campground (Maryhill State Park) across the river. The bridge was being repaired on the Columbia, so you may want to double check, but the park is worth it (if the wind isn't blowing), great museum nearby as well as a nice vineyard.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The Long Beach peninsula is a nice place to visit. We spend two weeks there every August attending the week long Washington State International Kite Festival. If you get to Long Beach, you might want to go to the Cottage Bakery for lunch. Their Rueben sandwich is to die for.