Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-18-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
Looking for suggestion on route to VA Airstream park.

we are heading to the Virginia highlands airstream park later next month and was looking for a good back way from Raleigh that is not a lot of switchbacks like the google map route takes us.

I have heard about going up 220 to blue ridge parkway and down but that is almost up to Roanoke area, quite a bit out of the way, can come down to the park.

any suggestions appreciated..

6517 Highland Haven Road NE, Copper Hill, VA 24079
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The Roanoke entrance to the BRP is not that far from the park.... I would likely go 220 to the BRP.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 05:23 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
The park is off US-221 north of Floyd. 221 from I-77 to the road into Highland Haven is an easy drive. You can travel the BRP fairly easily. There is an exit to 221 north of the park. Do not take 221 into Roanoke — steep descent into town.
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:05 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ditto silver cabin. Look up "BENT MOUNTAIN" A road that is interactive without am RV and nerve wracking with one.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
The OP can get on the parkway from 220 and avoid 221 and Bent Mountain. Going up Bent Mountain on 221 pulling a trailer is really no big deal unless your TV is underpowered.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
Going up 221 is probably ok, but going down from Floyd to Roanoke is another. We will be headed to that park in a few weeks and the google maps looks like lots of switch backs if not doing 221 from Roanoke to Floyd. I would definitely look into Blue Ridge Parkway to the park and skip 221 if at all possible.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
I was just up there for 10 days or so and from Raleigh I'd head up 220 to Roanoake and take the Parkway over. It's beautiful up there. Enjoy the sunsets!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	287841  
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Yes, as CRH said: "Going up Bent Mountain on 221 pulling a trailer is really no big deal unless your TV is underpowered."

We did it last year, both up & back down, even though a resident at VHH Airstream park told us it was awful & to be feared. Wasn't bad at all. Don't rush just take your time for safety as well as to enjoy the scenery!

The park is beautiful and the owners are very welcoming and friendly but many rules & folks to check to be sure they are enforced which I guess is to be expected.

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Denver , North Carolina
I hope you got my message. Love the picture would like to use it please send me your name for credit!
Murphalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
The pic is from the parks FB page. I was up there when the picture was taken, but can't take the credit.
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #11
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 369goose View Post
Yes, as CRH said: "Going up Bent Mountain on 221 pulling a trailer is really no big deal unless your TV is underpowered."

We did it last year, both up & back down, even though a resident at VHH Airstream park told us it was awful & to be feared. Wasn't bad at all. Don't rush just take your time for safety as well as to enjoy the scenery!

The park is beautiful and the owners are very welcoming and friendly but many rules & folks to check to be sure they are enforced which I guess is to be expected.
We were thinking of staying at this park in Oct. Just curious about "many rules". Could you elaborate just a bit?

Looks like a really nice place. Curious if the fall foliage will be nice then.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 03:47 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Hans627

Hopefully my verbiage "many rules" will not keep you from visiting this scenic park!

We visited at the end of the season when the park wasn't crowded. There were quite a few vacant sites. We were told that some owners had already moved their rigs for the winter.

Upon our arrival we were handed a two sided, printed sheet that included rules as well as a printed "welcome." The rules are somewhat your typical campers rules that most of us Airstreamers are accustomed to complying with. We felt the folks here tended to check on us more frequently than necessary though. In our case several shareholders and the on duty host visited our site or knocked on our door multiple times to remind or enforce the can/cannot do rules. The list is not all inclusive but here are a few that I recall:

- sites are narrow and close together so picnic tables are not provided. First night we put our small collapsible table out to cook on & intended to sit at it to eat outside while watching the sunset. A shareholder stopped to let us know that that typically isn't done so we put it away.

- outside wood fires are also not allowed. We were visited again when a couple walking by saw us preparing our mini Green Egg to grill our dinner. They were ok with that once they got a closer look and verified that it was indeed a charcoal grill "made for food preparation" (their words) and not a wood fire pit. Not sure if that visit would've happened if we had used our more familiar looking propane grill or not.

- There are no trash receptacles on site either so you have to keep ALL trash inside your AS or TV until you can drive it a distance (not a short walk away) for disposal - a slight hassle but not a big deal.

- pads are required under the AS jacks. I suppose to prevent any damage to the concrete slabs; the sites are pristine.

- use of laundry facilities "must be reserved" so you can't just use the machines even if they seem to be available. We did not need to use but were reminded of this too.

- oh yes, and pet's...we don't have any but were asked more than once if we did.

I seem to recall other requirements such as using our odor free water connectors, items which we do carry, but in 30+ years of camping have never had any staff feel it necessary to check for compliance.

As stated in my previous post: "The park is beautiful and the owners are very welcoming and friendly but many rules & folks to check to be sure they are enforced which I guess is to be expected."

Perhaps we simply enjoy our privacy and did not expect to be looked after that closely. Ironically, on our last day, the shareholder/owner of the site next to us asked if we'd be interested in purchasing a permanent site there! 🤔

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphalex View Post
I hope you got my message. Love the picture would like to use it please send me your name for credit!
I am the webmaster and admin for the Facebook page for Highland Haven and I took the photo. If you would like to PM me about how you want to use the photo I will be glad to discuss it with you, but the photo is copyrighted and should not be used without permission.
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:22 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 369goose View Post
Hans627

Hopefully my verbiage "many rules" will not keep you from visiting this scenic park!

We visited at the end of the season when the park wasn't crowded. There were quite a few vacant sites. We were told that some owners had already moved their rigs for the winter.

Upon our arrival we were handed a two sided, printed sheet that included rules as well as a printed "welcome." The rules are somewhat your typical campers rules that most of us Airstreamers are accustomed to complying with. We felt the folks here tended to check on us more frequently than necessary though. In our case several shareholders and the on duty host visited our site or knocked on our door multiple times to remind or enforce the can/cannot do rules. The list is not all inclusive but here are a few that I recall:

- sites are narrow and close together so picnic tables are not provided. First night we put our small collapsible table out to cook on & intended to sit at it to eat outside while watching the sunset. A shareholder stopped to let us know that that typically isn't done so we put it away.

- outside wood fires are also not allowed. We were visited again when a couple walking by saw us preparing our mini Green Egg to grill our dinner. They were ok with that once they got a closer look and verified that it was indeed a charcoal grill "made for food preparation" (their words) and not a wood fire pit. Not sure if that visit would've happened if we had used our more familiar looking propane grill or not.

- There are no trash receptacles on site either so you have to keep ALL trash inside your AS or TV until you can drive it a distance (not a short walk away) for disposal - a slight hassle but not a big deal.

- pads are required under the AS jacks. I suppose to prevent any damage to the concrete slabs; the sites are pristine.

- use of laundry facilities "must be reserved" so you can't just use the machines even if they seem to be available. We did not need to use but were reminded of this too.

- oh yes, and pet's...we don't have any but were asked more than once if we did.

I seem to recall other requirements such as using our odor free water connectors, items which we do carry, but in 30+ years of camping have never had any staff feel it necessary to check for compliance.

As stated in my previous post: "The park is beautiful and the owners are very welcoming and friendly but many rules & folks to check to be sure they are enforced which I guess is to be expected."

Perhaps we simply enjoy our privacy and did not expect to be looked after that closely. Ironically, on our last day, the shareholder/owner of the site next to us asked if we'd be interested in purchasing a permanent site there! 🤔
As a owner at VHH, I'm sorry you were disappointed in the hospitality. Let me set a few things straight:
  • there is absolutely no issue with using your own tables to eat outside - the individual that implied that was "not done" was out of line
  • While open wood fires are not allowed due to concerns about smoke and fire due to the proximity of the sites and woods, it is unfortunate you were questioned about the use of a Green Egg - many of us have charcoal grills (including Green Eggs) and that should not have happened.
  • While we ask guests upon registering if they have pets, there was no reason for repeated inquirires and we apologize for any inconvenience - that is NOT a normal experience.
  • It is not a "rule" that you use pads under stabilizers, nor is it written in the rules given to guests. The parking spaces are gravel and I myself have my stabilizers directly on the gravel.
  • The owners or the host do not make a habit of reminding guests of the rules unless there is a clear violation that is inconveniencing other guests or owners. I again apologize if an over zealous individual behaved inappropriately.
  • I have never known anyone to inquire about sewer connections, nor do I believe the rules distributed mention it.
  • While we do encourage guests to reserve the laundry (and respect existing reservations), you are absolutely free to use the laundry if there is not an existing reservation that you would interfere with.

We pride ourselves on providing a hospitable experience for our guests. However, there are 46 owners and it is possible that a particular individual behaved in a way we do not condone. Assuming your post is accurate, please accept our apology. Feel free to PM me with further details - we would like to understand what happened in more detail to prevent future misunderstandings.
Old 06-25-2017, 09:38 PM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have stayed at Highland a few times. Sure, there is a list of rules, but none of them really are anything surprising. They do have their way of doing things and I respect that. I found all of the shareholders to be very friendly and outgoing.

As far as pets go, we always had a dog. She was required to be leashed in the campground near the campers as she should have been. However, if I recall correctly, pets are allowed to be taken off leash in a big field just over the hill.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:57 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We have stayed at HH twice now, most recently last week. There are rules, but no one reminded us of any rule, no one bothered us, lots of friendly hello's and petting our two Labradors.

We received and accepted an offer one evening to take a walk to the waterfall by one of the stockholders and had a great time and much appreciated the guided tour. Thanks again Ian.

We plan on visiting again.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:28 AM   #17
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Heading there today, but probably arriving too late to enjoy anything more than the sunset :-( Anybody know how late an arrival is too late? We will likely roll in around 7:30pm.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 AM   #18
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I certainly wouldn't consider an arrival when the sun is still up too late.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
7:30 is fine
Old 06-26-2017, 06:26 AM   #20
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts