Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Austin , Texas
Looking for Rv routing app for iPhone

Hi!

I am trying to figure out a route to go from northern Jersey to southern jersey on the coast that is doable with an Rv in tow. Most of the north/south routes here are parkways, i.e. toll roads. Many of these do not allow trucks or trailers as the toll booths are too narrow or short. Has anyone found a good app for the iPhone that will route you on an Rv safe route? I am currently looking at truckerpath which has lots of positive reviews and good options, including weigh stations, truck stops, fuel stops, gps and rest area. Seems like all this would be applicable to an Rv as well. I hate pulling into a gas station only to find I won't fit or they don't have diesel, as one problem, for example.
flyingfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 12:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
P.s. The routemyrv app has terrible reviews, with one reviewer saying that it routed them in a totally unsafe route.
Old 09-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
If you're looking for a toll-free route, you will be dealing with traffic lights the whole way down. Not fun.

You can bring your Airstream on the Garden State Parkway. I just went from Woodbridge (NJ Tpke interchange) to Cape May 2 weeks ago. No issues with fitting through toll booths (if you have EZ Pass most tolls are express with no booths, but even if you need to pay cash, you will fit). Check the details on the Turnpike Authority's web page.

Enjoy your trip!

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfishy View Post
Hi!

I am trying to figure out a route to go from northern Jersey to southern jersey on the coast that is doable with an Rv in tow. Most of the north/south routes here are parkways, i.e. toll roads. Many of these do not allow trucks or trailers as the toll booths are too narrow or short. Has anyone found a good app for the iPhone that will route you on an Rv safe route? I am currently looking at truckerpath which has lots of positive reviews and good options, including weigh stations, truck stops, fuel stops, gps and rest area. Seems like all this would be applicable to an Rv as well. I hate pulling into a gas station only to find I won't fit or they don't have diesel, as one problem, for example.
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
Thumbs up Garden State Parkway is a breeze!

AirstreamJim, thanks for the useful info for our trip. No problems on the GSP. Arrived at our destination yesterday.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2009 34' Classic
Lake Worth Beach , Florida
Glad it worked out for you.

I too was surprised to learn that trailers and commercial vehicles are permitted on the GSP. As a life-long New Yorker, I'm conditioned to think passenger cars only on parkways. Sure makes the trips to Colonial and South Jersey a lot easier!

Jim
2016 RAM 2500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4, Cummins TurboDiesel
AirstreamJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
Still would like to know of a good app for routing. Is truckerpath the best one?
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote