Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
I used to own 86 acres in the Sierra Foothills with what would have been a few fantastic boondocking spots. There are a whole bunch of other privately owned gorgeous spots all across the country. But the first concern of a property owner in allowing strangers to stay on their land will be "are they going to burn the place down or steal me blind....."

I found a house sitting website that I use when we go on trips called TrustedHousesitters.com. As a home owner I had to subscribe: $110 per year seemed rather steep, until I realized the value proposition. The people who housesit for me do so for free - they want to travel, see the world, stay in a house rather than a hotel, and they're animal lovers who want to hang out with my pets (the cats & chickens that don't go with us when we camp). Trusted Housesitters runs a background check on the sitters and the site maintains profiles of the sitters along with recommendations of people they have sat for. I have found wonderful people who took great care of my pets and house FOR FREE and they were able to exerience my part of the world without paying for accommodations.

Wouldn't it be great to have a similar service for landowners and campers. I suppose you would have to find the right value proposition for the landowners.

I'm just saying: there may be different formats your dream can take. If you set this idea up I'll sign up!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:12 PM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
McCall , Idaho
California Airstream park

I think the problem is California. Expensive, restrictive on anything!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercubep View Post
I think the problem is California. Expensive, restrictive on anything!
As George Carlin once pointed out, "California is just like living in a bowl of Granola. What's not fruits or nuts, is flakes.."

And before all you other Californians jump on me for that, please note that I am, in fact, a Californian, and the above is, IMHO, the exact problem...

I will not go for the easy political/politician slams in the interest of harmony in the forums...not that I have ever been either aerodynamically or politically correct, for that matter. (Grin)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
OP, if you wish to develop your investment idea quantitatively, there are go-bys in existence across the country, and you can find them here. None of the existing parks are in California, so I don't imagine that anyone would have a conflict in sharing their actual numbers with you. In other words, there's a big part of a wheel here that does not need to be reinvented.

One or more people mentioned that some of the historical Airstream parks have closed due to funding issues. Can anyone explain further? I'd like to know the stories. Thanks.

As info, my husband and I recently made a "starter" investment in one of the Texas Airstream parks. I personally like the idea, but I, too, question the long-term potential for sustainability (which is why we joined in a "starter" capacity only - lower risk).

I think it could succeed if done right, but "done right" is a tricky thing. One of the significant logistical issues is the average age of participants. Particularly if such venues are geared toward the idea of "nostalgia", it has the potential to be a turn-off to more youthful participants, many of whom see "nostalgia" and think "fuddy-duddies only". And any venue that is stacked strongly in favor of older participants runs the risk of being self-extinguishing due to the natural mathematics of the human lifespan.

Edit: I used the word "nostalgia" whereas I might have echoed the OP's term "vintage". Vintage means different things to different people. To young people, it usually incorporates a cutting-edge interpretation that older people don't necessarily appreciate or desire.
Old 01-05-2018, 02:13 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Perhaps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPal2 View Post
Wow lots of discussion, I have been looking for a couple years for locations in California for a 10 spot Airstream park. Another investor and myself are very interested however the location seems to be problem. We having trouble with building requirements and would like to have any ideas about prospective locations. I suggest a private discussion
Jim Polk
805 646 7293
japolk@jps.net
Maybe you, and the original poster could team up. There certainly seems to be people that are interested and would benefit from such an establishment. Ocean front might not be economical feasible, but I have seen some " compounds " with numerous stick cabins in the " hills " of California.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Good luck. Really.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
You lost me at "Airstream only"...

Best of luck though, looked like you've got a couple bites.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:06 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
Butt out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
Exactly. Go be a WorKamper / paid campground host. Maybe a volunteer campground host for the National Park service.

Don’t expect someone to build you a gorgeous vintage-look campground in SoCal with a swimming pool so you can work there. Go find one that needs to hire you!
Please don’t respond if the message bothers you.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:07 PM   #49
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
Airstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iansk View Post
You lost me at "Airstream only"...

Best of luck though, looked like you've got a couple bites.
Your on an Airstream site.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
Look forward to talking to you. When is a good time to talk?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
Wow this post has brought out the “know it alls” if you are NOT interested DO NOT RESPOND PLEASE.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #52
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
You sound like someone that needs to get a life. You feel better about yourself after you took the time to respond?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:32 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
Those interested should all talk.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #54
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Reading , Pennsylvania
When is good time to talk?
Old 01-05-2018, 11:41 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Shawn you've actually had a lot of good comments here to include some cynicism, sarcasm and reality.

You might be on the wrong forum here. This is a friendly but honest forum with lots of experienced folks of various walks of life.

Not one of those angry yelling forums with brusq behavior.

Hang in there, don't mind the rain on your parade, obviously you've peeked some interest or you would be getting any responses.

My first thought when I read the post(s) was also, smiling, yeah I would like that too.

Hittenstiehl
Old 01-05-2018, 11:47 PM   #56
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn521 View Post
Please don’t respond if the message bothers you.
It's not the message I find disturbing, it's the presumption. Oh, and the public investment solicitation without so much as a business plan. That too. Good luck!

Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Airstream only not a big deal for me.

Hi, I'm a traveler not a camper. Most places that I stop at are on the way to a destination. Any place that I stay at for more than one night has things of interest for us to see and do. I never stayed at any Airstream only parks. It might be interesting for a day or two unless there is something there of interest. Museums, factory tours, national monuments, Etc. For me personally, I would only stay at your Southern California park to visit friends and relatives. Since I spent mostly my entire life in Southern California there would be no reason to stay there for more than a few days. And about the only place to stay there now is at Pomona Fairgrounds Camp ground.

I go to one Rally per year with about 50 other Airstreams at Jackson Rancheria; That's enough time spent with just Airstreams and my friends.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I am a fan of Virginia Highland Haven an Airstream only park in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. It appears to be sustaining a full membership, and thriving...

I have NOT bought in, though I am constantly tempted. It is very small, about 40 sites and closes during the winter because it gets Cold in mountains. In the 12 years I have visited the non-member visitor rate has gone from $8 to $25 per night and except for major holiday weekends there are usually sites available.

Chatting with members tells me that even on my first visit in 2006 they were struggling and adapting grudgingly to the next generation's attitudes and expectations (people like me - a "young (huh??)" "no husband?!!!" female in her late 50s. Almost everyone was welcoming, and the old guard WWII and Korean War veterans quickly resurrected Rosie the Riveter to have a frame of reference that explained me.

The boomers are now beginning to also age out, and possibly the biggest transition to date has been that the original members did almost all the building and maintenance by themselves and worked as volunteer hosts, etc. Now many are still working and/or have health issues that make cutting trees, mowing pastures, roofing the clubhouse and re-graveling paths difficult. (Plus many don't have the skills their parents and grandparents did.)

I don't know what bylaws have been changed, but they have continued to thrive, and when a member sells (usually dies) it is rare that there is not a waiting list. A few years back there was a bit of fuss when an un-closeted (intelligent, quiet, you wouldn't guess) gay man wanted to buy in... now? Well what is the big deal?

I've also gone to Alumalina near Cleveland SC. Palmetto Cove? (having a senior moment here ) Until quite recently it was also Airstream only. Last year it was a shock to see a sea of fifth wheels and other SOBs when I pulled in a few days early. The rally tipped the balance, although it has always been open to prospective Airstreamers with other brands too.

I am sure the members at both campgrounds would share info if you asked.

Paula

Paula being an insomniac again... it has warmed up to 24 degrees and my quilt is calling me.. supposed to get into low 50s after 10 AM and I have to be in line at Tractor Supply so I can get propane. They ran out an hour after getting their big tank filled. AND they sold every tank they had in the store along with all of the catalytic heaters
Old 01-06-2018, 07:19 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn521 View Post
Your on an Airstream site.
This forum is inclusive of vintage kin as well, it is not “Airstream Only”, I was referring to your “idea” in your post and not this forum so...

Serious question, what other restrictions do you have in mind? Would condition be a factor? Would the tow vehicle need to be of a certain year or newer? Kids? Pets? Age of guests (too old, not old enough, too young...).

You opened up a discussion on a public forum,
Deal with it.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #60
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

One or more people mentioned that some of the historical Airstream parks have closed due to funding issues. Can anyone explain further? I'd like to know the stories. Thanks.

Hi

This gets into the "down the road" part of the process. You have electrical, water, and sewage systems at the park. You also have stuff like paving and landscaping. The visible stuff gets taken care of fairly regularly and people tend to get that into the budget. The rusting pipes and dying septic field are "out of sight / out of mind" (and not often part of the budget).

Toss in the fact that (even in the boonies) building codes are more strict than they were 50 years ago. What was "ok" (or snuck in) back in the day ... not so much today. I've run into it with septic upgrades, you need a plan for the one you are (now) putting in *and* a plan for the next one after that. If you can't show how you'll do that ... no permit.

On top of that, there are a lot of ways to make bad business decisions. Sell perpetual deeds to people with no way to recover annual maintenance is one. Fixed fees forever is another.

Lots of ways to go broke.

Bob
Closed Thread