Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 PM   #1

1976 31' Sovereign
Cambridge , Ontario
Looking for good camp sites in Ontario

Just bought my first trailer, a '76 Sovereign in the fall. I am from Cambridge and have not done a lot of camping before. Wondering if anyone has recommendations for weekend trips in Southern Ontario. Also wondering what average rates are for water & electric hook ups.
Thanks

Old 01-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I can't recommend the Ontario Provincial Parks campgrounds enough. They only have hydro at best but the sites are large and often quite private. The "Comfort Stations" are excellent and the parks are mostly situated in beautiful places.

Ontario Parks

(Assuming you're an Anglohone)

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Congratulations on your purchase of a wonderful trailer!

And, we are very glad that you decided to join and participate in the Forums, as well. You will find lots of good information here both on maintaining and repairing your TT (travel trailer) and how to get the most out of travelling and camping in it!

Please post whatever photos you have of your trailer, we loooove photos. And don't be shy to ask any questions that you have, OK?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Cambridge is a great location for exploration, both north and south.

I second Steve's recommendation. The Provincial Parks are beautiful, with very well kept and always clean amenities. Sites are either no services at all, or 30amp power - typically about 50/50 - but all Parks have dumping and fresh water stations.

We love Long Point, on Lake Erie. The campground runs along the beach, with large, wooded and private sites. The shallow beach is perfect for kids to play. If you ever make it down there and see a 34' triple axle and three rambunctious boys come and say hello.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:00 AM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Not sure what "southern" means, exactly, in Ontario, but Page and I enjoyed several days (too few, at that) at the Upper Canada Bird Sanctuary campground in October. Located on the St Lawrence, there is plenty of ship traffic to watch and good hiking and biking trails. Friendliest rangers, too.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
wbcci 9239 (Re-enlisted 2013)
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Ontario Parks are great,

Algonquin, MacGregor Point, Bass Lake, Oastler Lake and Emily are some of our favourites.

Also check out the Grand River Conservation Authority Conservation areas.

We do a lot of traveling in the US, (only 20 min to the bridge for us) The finger lakes area is beautiful and an easy drive from southern Ontario, and we really like Erie PA. New York state parks are around $25-30 per night with hydro and you can fill up with cheap gas! Most are very nice and well maintained. We are trying Allegheny for the first time this summer and will report back.
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 03:27 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Listowel , Ontario
Many to choose !

Pinery (Grand Bend) in the summer for the beach. In the fall it's a different park. Hard to get into without reservations. Busy, busy, busy. Lots to do.

Port Burwell, south of London on Erie. Nice dog beach (and human too !)
Beautiful campsites. Campsites can be a little hard to get into because you have to back into them through narrow lanes. Submarine is there too at the town.

Long Point, Rondeau and Wheatley all on Lake Erie are nice. Deer ticks in the fall for sure. So if you got dogs, well...

MacGreggor above Pinery on Lake Huron. Quieter park, good biking trails. More like Algonquin for camping style.

Awenda up on Georgian Bay. Very good cooling in the summer because of the tree canopy overhead.

Earl Rowe is great for canoeing, good sites, close to Alliston, just feels like home. Swimming at a large pool not at the beaches.

Stargazing at Durham Conservation Area, or even up at Sauble Falls just north of Sauble Beach. Most pristine skies in Southern Ontario and good for car shows.

London Fanshawe for water hookup and spotting planes. It's on the edge of the city but you would never know it. Or how about Conestogo Lake, Guelph Lake, Balsam, Algonquin, Emily, and.. There is tons of places to go around the Cambridge area without going too far. Now I'm starting to get the fever again just talking about them !

Been camping now for 40 plus years. Three years with the 27' 81 Airstream International ( my baby ).
Old 01-09-2014, 05:33 AM   #8

toronto , Ontario
Algonquin park for sure
Old 01-09-2014, 05:34 AM   #9

toronto , Ontario
There are many camp sites with in Ontario but the best seems to be Algonquin park with numerous campgrounds and creeks. You can enjoy camping engaging in various adventure activities apart from watching wildlife. While I visited the park I preferred staying in adventure lodge Algonquin park as it was easy for me to get access to various locations inside park. Apart from that there are numerous camping options available in the park.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmagoon View Post
Algonquin park for sure
Any favorites? We're planning on going up this summer, but I am not all that familiar with Algonquin.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Read up on it for sure. It is h-u-g-e, in case you didn't notice.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #12
EnglishGirl

2000 31' Excella
Milton , Ontario
Looking for good camp sites in Ontario

For private camp grounds try http://www.campinginontario.ca we have booked a few and been happy the reviews give you an idea of the park. We love Saugeen Spring RV park up near Hanover. we had a lovely weekend up at Tobermmoray at Summer House Park it's a few km outside of Tobermoray but a beautifully run family park. Algonquin we like Canisbay. You won't go wrong with the Pinery it's a wonderful park loads to do and if you have dogs an excellent dog beach. Again http://www.ontarioparks.com/en you can get reviews of all the campgrounds on tripadvisor.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:27 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Round Rock , Texas
We tent camped a lot on the eastern shore of Lake Superior. They have very nice RV sites. That might be a little too far west for you but our favorite was Pancake Bay Provincial Park. Nice outfitter just south less than a mile. It is north of Sault St. Marie. Enjoy!
Old 01-16-2014, 02:24 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Our favourite provincial park is Bon Echo, but it's often hard to get in as it's a very popular park. Algonquin is lovely too, we have camped at both Mew and Pog lakes. Mew was particularly nice. The one thing I have noticed is that the sites are often larger than indicated (not however, at Sandbanks!). We took a 34' to Mew lake that was listed for a 28' and under.