Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Irvine , California
Longer term boondocking and dumping

We're starting to extend our boondocking trips. Solar and additional jerry cans of potable water have most everything solved. Gray water ( and black water to a much lesser extent) are the next issues to solve. What are some good tricks to manage gray water short of hitching up, driving to a dump station and then returning to camp?

Old 12-08-2014, 12:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you have a pickup truck. There are portable totes (tanks) . Large units. You could put it in the truck. Use a macerator pump to transfer the waste water to the truck. No need to hitch up.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums

Old 12-08-2014, 05:42 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmd View Post
...... What are some good tricks to manage gray water short of hitching up, driving to a dump station and then returning to camp?
First, reduce grey water accumulation.

Use dishwater sparingly, then to flush your toilet.

Stand in a collapsible basin/dishpan to shower carefully (or shower outside using a solar shower/outside shower if you have one), then dump your shower water under a hospitable tree or bush a distance from your trailer.

There are threads with lots of suggestions on this subject, altho the search and reading is a bit laborious, IMO.

Have a great time.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The traditional method is a "gopher hole." Not one actually occupied by gophers, but one that you dig, like a pit latrine, and then bury when you're done with it. Tent campers in the boonies bury their human waste and pack out their trash, no reason why a trailer camper can't do the same.

Since you're traveling by trailer and tow vehicle, not by backpack and "shank's mare," you can bring the right tools for the job. A post-hole digger makes quicker work of making a gopher hole than does a shovel, but a shovel makes quicker work of filling it back in afterwards.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

I water nearby plants with grey water if I am in a place that does not forbid dumping. If not, we can make it a week without dumping with careful water management.
With a 40 gallon black holding tank, my wife and I routinely make it 10 to 12 days without dumping. In hot weather, another dose of chemicals may be necessary if odors become noticeable.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
When boondocking, it is always acceptable to dump grey water on the ground............................................ ........in the middle of the night.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

I have mentioned this before.

One key point is timing. Grey water is relatively clean for a while. It is water, soap, food, and body oil. But if you let it sit, it gets nasty.

Another thing to think about is climate. I have heard of people using an evaporation pool in dry, hot climates. Some claim that it even has a cooling effect. In wetter climates and soils, a bucket with a hole in it will slow the flow and give the ground a chance to absorb the water.

Using biodegradable soap such as castile soap is a responsible move.

In the dessert. I was warned that " watering " plants with urine was not a good idea, as animals were attracted by the salt.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
This has been said before, on other threads, but......there are areas of the country where dishwater on the ground is absolutely prohibited, and closely enforced, because food particles and residue attract animals.....most particularly those with very large teeth.

The only place for dishwater in these areas are your holding tanks or purpose-built grey water stations.

Easiest to minimize dishwater accumulation, IMO.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Maggie

I am guessing that this is a controversial subject. If in fact attracting animals is the reason for prohibiting the discharge of dishwater, then I am not sure if cooking outdoors should be strictly prohibited as well. I have heard that bears can smell bacon being cooked from 5 miles away. The same bears that do you know what in the woods. I am not arguing, just wondering. I did some research on outhouses because when I loose power, I have no water for flushing. The study said that micro organisms eat the effluent before it gets a few inches away from the outhouse pit. They also supposedly eat the millions of pounds of rubber that wears off of our tires annually.
But I get it that public parks, highly populated areas, campgrounds, wilderness areas, rural areas, wetlands, and private land, all call for different behaviors.
Case in point…I had a hard time convincing my neighbors in the backwoods that burning tires was not a good idea. To be clear, I have heard to only leave footprints, I try not to leave even footprints.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Simply stating the cold, hard facts, from traveling and camping in the west.

Rocky Mountains, 2013.

No offense meant nor taken here.

It's a bear thing, we were told, and the rangers very assertively watched for violations.

If it isn't posted, do what is reasonable, safe, and does no harm.

Some places it is posted, everywhere, is very serious business, and about keeping bears out of campgrounds which then have to be shut down.

Let me just add that we were never told anywhere not to cook outside, but leaving ANYTHING on a picnic table or outside, even just to take a walk, was a violation.

And, in these campgrounds, they patrolled and watched closely.

Just sharing information, not trying to pick a fight.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
We are thinking about getting a portable waste storage tank to extend boondocking time once we get our solar system installed. Since I am a new member and cannot add links to posts, you can search for Tote-N-Store as an example. We are thinking about getting a 15 gallon tank for extra grey water capacity. At about $100, this seems like an easy and environmentally/wildlife friendly solution.
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
We are thinking about getting a portable waste storage tank to extend boondocking time once we get our solar system installed. Since I am a new member and cannot add links to posts, you can search for Tote-N-Store as an example. We are thinking about getting a 15 gallon tank for extra grey water capacity. At about $100, this seems like an easy and environmentally/wildlife friendly solution.
Remember that water weighs a little over 8 pounds per gallon. Your 15-gallon Tote-n-Store will weigh in more than 120 pounds over and above the weight of the empty unit. If you're going to have to load it up into the back of your tow vehicle to take it somewhere to dump it, plan ahead.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Those litte blue thngs people haul with their hitch to dump stations wouldn't require lifting, tho, and they are everywhere so must work pretty well.

Oops.....googling tote n store, those are the little blue things. Folks attach them to their hitches.

Maggie
Old 12-08-2014, 12:15 PM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Mankind has been peeing and showering in the woods for millions of years, I have my own opinion on this subject at night in the dark where nobody will see....
For freshwater, I recently bought a 55 gallon poly tank. I can use it one of 2 ways.... Gravity feed, or with a pump to presdurize my system.
Black water is a different story..... Go sparingly, eat no poor quality Chinese food, and dump evert 2 weeks, that's a fact of life!