Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2004, 02:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Long Term Near San Francisco Bay Area

Does anyone know of anything in the Bay area? Long term is the goal- reasonably secure & safe a plus...needing to complete degree in Berekley.

Someplace that accepts medium / small dogs. Some idea of a monthly would be nice too or a contact name- area approximation good enough- any thoughts welcome!

Thanks!
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 02:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Hey, if you are interested in staying in the South Bay, let me know. There are three parks around Gilroy. But this is probably to far for your needs, though. I don't know about the East Bay. There is a park next to Candlestick but it is pricey.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 07:55 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Long term bay area

I know there is a place in Pacifica(just outside of town) that charges 900.00 a month. I am not sure on the name I would have to ask the wife, if you are interested.
Stinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Thumbs up Congratulations!

Marina, Congrats on your upcoming Berkeley studies! East bay may be more feasible logistically, economically, maybe even weatherwise, with SF, Marin, Peninsula just 20 mins. away.

There's a seemingly quiet, friendly park on East 14th (International Blvd.) in San Leandro (where's a phone book when you need it?) - looks to be secure, safe, well staffed; not sure on pets. Other key East Bay locales to consider: Hayward, San Lorenzo, Emeryville, Berkeley itself, El Cerrito, Albany, Richmond, San Pablo, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill, Concord - all in close or easily traveled proximity to the University.

Am certain other Bay Area scholars will respond; in the meantime will check around, go thru a few phone books, see what AAA knows.
MrGoate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 07:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I went to UCSF and frequented UC Berzerkly on occassion. I know that they have tons of ads in the housing department that offer places for rent and such. Try going there first and see if anyone has RV parking, so that you can be close to school. If not, do look for RV parks close by. I think Berkely and Oakland may have what you need before you start looking further away.
Old 05-22-2004, 11:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Try www.craigslist.org and post an ad. You may even be able to find room on someone's property and pay some utilities, you never know. Welcome to the SF Bay Area!

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 01:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
I'm not sure- did BART stop near the campus?- if it does Concord would probably be the cheapest living area. We were married on campus of Cal the alumni Ass'n patio.
In berkenstocks and hand woven clothes!!! silver suz
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 03:26 PM   #8
Craftsman

I use to live at the head of College Ave. , near the California College of Arts and Crafts. My wife and I move out there with Meg and Greg Khin. in the early 70's. Anyone ever heard of Greg Khin? His claim to fame was " The Break-up Song" and "Our Loves in Jeporady". Haven't seen him in awhile I hear that he got as big as David Crosby and is a DJ in LA. I really liked that area, but at the time work was hard to find. To may Universities and to many over qualified people willing to take anything just to live in the area.
Old 05-22-2004, 07:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman
My wife and I move out there with Meg and Greg Khin. in the early 70's. Anyone ever heard of Greg Khin? His claim to fame was " The Break-up Song" and "Our Loves in Jeporady". Haven't seen him in awhile I hear that he got as big as David Crosby and is a DJ in LA.
Actually, he is a morning DJ here in San Jose on a classic rock station. He's been doing the DJ gig for a few years now. And still does concerts once in awhile.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
I grew up in El Cerrito, a hop and a skip from Bezerkeley! There maybe some older 'trailer parks' along San Pablo Ave, but that's all I can think of . rvandcampoutwest.com lists several parks in Marin county which is much nicer and safer then say East 14th st. San Leandro, which had a bad reputation when I was growing up. Oakland's homicide/ violent crime rate has been up there in the last few years. also listed is a park in Vallejo. the other San Leandro llisting might be OK (Sandv Moble Park.)
Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 04:25 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Overwhelmed !

I'm really going to have to pay more attention when i am posting- all weekend i thought..."well, they must be off doing something- haven't received a notification one" or, "Geez- i guess no one here has ever been through the Bay Area". NOT! (i had the notification set for weekly updates...duh!)

So the long and short of it is: "YES! to everyone- please ask the wife, friends, find a phone book if you have the time- i'm taking copious notes! But you don't have to do it right now- will be flying out next month to take a look around...and pilfer a phone book or two of my own!

There was this site i found- Demographics of the Oakland area- ummm, lets say your chances in 2002 of getting raped, then murdered and having your car stolen were twice that of the state- er...not good odds- IMHO.

Then again- i grew up in Houston, and such activity is usually limited to a few areas...usually. BTW- you can have a shotgun and handgun in your trailer in California, right? Hummm?

Thanks plowboy- the camp out west link and others closer in will be checked first! Your source and mine on crime stats must be the same!

And thanks Craftsman- i was sort of wondering about that overqualified thing- in that case, upon graduation it's either north or south!

Silver suz- Berki still makes the most comfortable shoes, they just look...

Pinkflamingos- great resource! i am soo there.

Astrodokk- so is it "still" Bezerkley?

Mr. Goate- thank you! I wrote each down and with a map will be researching from there-

Mr. Hankey- er..."Stinky"- please do ask the wife! Seems like the "Best Place", at least for short term. You've inspired me to buy Lottery Tickets again. Seriously though- wouldn't that make for a nice summer?

Big Dee- Sure, any name and number helps. It may be too far- but after beating the bushes, you never know what might come up! Thanks!
Old 05-24-2004, 08:12 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Marina

I haven't lived in that area for 20 years now so I wouldn't know how it is currently, although I hear it's still the same. Oakland has improved alot since Jerry Brown started running things there. Maybe Willey Brown should go in next ha ha. You know that both those towns have their very nice hoods too. The Oakland fires were in the ritzy parts.
If all else fails, attach pontoons and float her in the marina (no pun).
Old 05-24-2004, 08:36 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
By all means, try Berkeley first. I'm sure some impoverished students would like having you park in their drive or backyard. You might have to get a composting toilet- but-hey- you'd fit right in the berkeley normal crazyiness. There is no place on earth like Berkeley. It's a wonderful atmosphere, seething with new ideas, (not always good, but stay open.) great people and a tremendous energy! Try down in the Berkeley flats, on or a block off the bus routes. I suggest you get a berk bus map even with a car- parking is HORRIBLE. Just for fun- count the number of burkenstocks you see the first week and let me know- I think you will be surprised! By all means, visit the berkeley rose garden and watch the sunset on the golden gate bridge!! And have a great time!! suz ))))
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:03 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

I Love Chaos!

Too many years Public Safety- the best part? Being able to watch and not be expected to do a damn thing...ahhh! Sounds like the start of a MasterCard Commercial, huh? I dunno though- about the composting toilet...tried one of those already- i'll keep my comments to myself (you'll be glad i did). How's motorcycle parking? Is it like in Texas- where a bike is considered the same as a car? Therefore must be in a designated parking spot? Betcha' that would go over real well...

Funny you brought it up- i was considering living on a Sea Ray 460 Sundancer and researched out local Marina's...quite steep! And then a reply on the cost of the Sea Ray...well, let's just say Donald Trump is getting married soon- and seriously, i don't play the lottery. So that one went out like a light!

I'd really be happiest in the 22' Int'l CCD anyway. That RV park on the ocean is looking *REAL* good- maybe for summer breaks? Something will come up- usually does...just wrestleing with the GVWR in my mind still. Looking at trading trucks now-

This morning on Ford's website- new F-350 model introduction, check it out at- http://fordvehicles.com Kewl, huh? Any takers on it being 50k+ ?
Old 05-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
the Delta

You might see what you can find in the Sacramento River delta area. It's not too far from East Bay, and you may find some long-term accomodations at one of the camps there; particularly during the off-season (fall thru spring).

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Marina, it's your icon that gets all the responses ;-)

Seriously, I've lived in the Bay area for most of the past four years.
Not cheap.
Berkeley is a better choice than Oakland.
And Craigslist is....good for EVERYTHING!

Post a wanted ad.

-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:37 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Nifty icon, huh?

I like it too- really describes me to a "T". Thanks- Chuck & Roger- Craigs list is GOOD!

This Sacramento River Delta area is where? Are we talking- San Pablo to Martinez to Antioch?
Old 05-24-2004, 10:02 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Thumbs up "Good Answers!"

Sure thing, Marina! All above speak well; as you can see, you've got plenty of options. The 'Trailer Haven,' while on the same East 14th that also eventually runs thru Oakland, is located in a very safe, well-light, frequently patrolled business section of the suburb San Leandro. Housing both high-line pushers and park mobile homes, if not one answer, definitely a point of reference. Tho Berkeley would be your BEST shot, another city to throw on your list: Alameda.

See ya when ya get here!!
MrGoate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 08:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by funchucky1
Marina, it's your icon that gets all the responses ;-)

Seriously, I've lived in the Bay area for most of the past four years.
Not cheap.
Berkeley is a better choice than Oakland.
And Craigslist is....good for EVERYTHING!

Post a wanted ad.

-Chuck
I've lived here for thirty eight. He's right.

ingrid
Old 05-25-2004, 08:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoate
Tho Berkeley would be your BEST shot, another city to throw on your list: Alameda.

See ya when ya get here!!
If you need a tour of Alameda, I'm there for ya; it's my town.

pf

ingrid