Old 05-24-2004, 10:16 AM   #15
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
the Delta

You might see what you can find in the Sacramento River delta area. It's not too far from East Bay, and you may find some long-term accomodations at one of the camps there; particularly during the off-season (fall thru spring).

Roger

Old 05-24-2004, 10:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Marina, it's your icon that gets all the responses ;-)

Seriously, I've lived in the Bay area for most of the past four years.
Not cheap.
Berkeley is a better choice than Oakland.
And Craigslist is....good for EVERYTHING!

Post a wanted ad.

-Chuck

Old 05-24-2004, 10:37 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Nifty icon, huh?

I like it too- really describes me to a "T". Thanks- Chuck & Roger- Craigs list is GOOD!

This Sacramento River Delta area is where? Are we talking- San Pablo to Martinez to Antioch?
Old 05-24-2004, 11:02 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1988 29' Airstream 290
Berkeley , California
Send a message via AIM to MrGoate
Thumbs up "Good Answers!"

Sure thing, Marina! All above speak well; as you can see, you've got plenty of options. The 'Trailer Haven,' while on the same East 14th that also eventually runs thru Oakland, is located in a very safe, well-light, frequently patrolled business section of the suburb San Leandro. Housing both high-line pushers and park mobile homes, if not one answer, definitely a point of reference. Tho Berkeley would be your BEST shot, another city to throw on your list: Alameda.

See ya when ya get here!!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by funchucky1
Marina, it's your icon that gets all the responses ;-)

Seriously, I've lived in the Bay area for most of the past four years.
Not cheap.
Berkeley is a better choice than Oakland.
And Craigslist is....good for EVERYTHING!

Post a wanted ad.

-Chuck
I've lived here for thirty eight. He's right.

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 09:35 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoate
Tho Berkeley would be your BEST shot, another city to throw on your list: Alameda.

See ya when ya get here!!
If you need a tour of Alameda, I'm there for ya; it's my town.

pf

ingrid
Old 05-26-2004, 12:39 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Smile two wheels rule

>>How's motorcycle parking? Is it like in Texas- where a bike is considered the same as a car? Therefore must be in a designated parking spot?<<

Well, you can't park in a no-parking zone, but other than that almost anything goes. Motorcycles are a valid form of transportation here. In SF and Berkeley we often park them between parked cars - you should see downtown SF or UCB campus. Rows of bikes lined up at the curb. When I had an office in downtown SF I rode a couple of days a week and paid $3 for parking instead of $25. Same garage. Even cheaper on the street. And the icing on the cake - you are legally allowed to split lanes here (please don't try that right away - we also have a lot of um,,, variabilility in driver skills here also...)

You will also be living in close proximity to the finest motorcycling in the country, absolutely without peer. For reference see http://www.pashnit.com

-john (ST1100)
Old 05-26-2004, 06:03 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

I'm in for a treat...sorta...kinda?

*Mental Note:* "add reaction time training to exercise routine".

"Yeppers", that should about do it! After all this law and order in Texas on the streets and highways (Interstates excluded) i can see already, it's going to be back to "Houston Driving Rules" for me for awhile...somehow, in the next year or two a new mental reference point is comming to mind: Ahhh- "California Road Rules". Rule #1). There are no rules! Rule #2). Refer back to rule #1. End.

*Mental Note:* Alameda Tour with "pinkflamingos" -do lunch!

You're on! Looks like "Jerry's Kid's" are going to have to do with less from me this Memorial Day...as fast as i'm spending money in California. Thank God! it's on paper still. At least Motorcycle parking is less than a car...

I'm afraid to say it- but that 22' Int'l CCD is starting to look like the 16' Bambi CCD- and a visit to the shop to have the Air Lift air bags installed on the pick up to compensate for my fudgeing of the weight in the bed of the truck...A N D...a part time job to cover all my bases! I can see the insurance premiums now! How does it go? "Ka-ching!" (*Cash Register Sound*)

Before i commit myself to this line of thinking- What about vehicle emissions? Bringing Texas vehicles into California- The truck is a 2003, the Honda CBR 600 is a 2003- so emissions is Texas isn't considered. Then again we have refinerys, gas plants and all this industry making a mess here and there- so it has never "really" been an issue except in Harris County (Houston). Do i need Smog tests to register a vehicle? Or what?
Old 05-26-2004, 12:32 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
The DMV will want to inspect your vehicles when you register them but there won't be a problem. I bought my ST from a guy in Utah and when I registered it we had to take off some of the body work to find the Engine # (not the VIN) but once that checked out all was good. On your truck, as long as it meets Federal emissions and is over 3 or 4 months old there is no issue. They may check it also for the Federal emissions tag under the hood.

john (ST1100)
Old 05-26-2004, 12:39 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Oh, as an aside, the DMV used to charge everyone registering an out of state vehicle an extra $300 if it did not have a CALIF emissions certification (tag) under the hood. That was found to be illegal, hence the newer policy of allowing out of state vehicles to be registered here, as long as they have actually been used out of state, not just bought there and brought in immediately to circumvent the tighter emissions regs we have. That's why they want to see some time and miles on it.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:11 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Thanks John...

You've just saved me a bunch of stress- i expect it will be fun...the DMV- they always are. I may pertend to be a tourist for awhile until a place can be found. I was reading elsewhere on this board about the costs associated with camp ground fees. Someone was mentioning something about $46.00 a night and there were other figures lower mentioned as well.

What are your observations? What fees have you seen?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
*Mental Note:* Alameda Tour with "pinkflamingos" -do lunch!

yeah!

ingrid
Old 05-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
I mainly camp in state park campgrounds which are still reasonable - $15/nt, although most are going up on July 1st to about $20 due to the budget shortfall. I am on the Peninsula (west side of bay) and can be to awesome campgrounds on the beach or in the coast redwoods in about 45 min to an hour, but that probably isn't what you're looking for since you will need to be within a reasonable distance of Berkeley and State parks don't allow residence.

I will take a look on Google and CL later and see what can be found in the east bay that would be within a reasonable distance of Berkeley. I apologize for not knowing more about it - I mainly go over to Berkeley to eat - there is an incredible variety of dining available but that is another topic in itself...
Old 05-27-2004, 12:12 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi Marina,

I did a quick google search on "rv parks berkeley" and found several within 10-15 miles. As others mentioned, there is one in El Cerrito, one in El Sobrante and a couple in San Pablo, but I would probably avoid the San Pablo/Ricmond area. Perhaps those living in the east bay would know more. There are also a few out in the 680 corridor near Concord and Walnut Creek, a bit further east, which is accessible on Hwy 24 and may be a good compromise.

Not sure how far from Berkeley you want to be but an interesting alternative might be to look to the west in Marin County, across the 580 bridge, where there are some nice campgrounds and RV parks in a more woodsy setting, although they might also be fairly pricey, and that bridge can be a hassle sometimes. Excellent riding and close to the coast, though... try a search on Marin County for those.

Your best bet is to come up and look around. Bring the bike!

-john